Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2002 9:36:34 AM EDT
Does anyone know who makes a very small single action 22 cal. pistol. It's small enough to fit in your palm..? I know but can't remember..

What I'm looking for is something to carry in my backpack, in my "Oh S*it! kit"...

Any Ideas...

Thanks,

Cg..
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#2]
That's it!!

Thanks!!!

Cg..
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you thinking "survival" in the sense of last ditch self defense, or survival in the sense of having to kill some dinner?

Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
DScott.

Self Defense first, then dinner...

I know it would be quite a challenge to hit a rabbit or anything that size from 30-50 yards with one of the NAA pistols..

I normally carry a Glock 21, but that's too heavy to carry under the conditions I'm considering.

I would love to carry around a scout, that shoots 223 and 12 gauge, but those are too heavy and I need something that can be kept in a small pouch..

The NAA Black Widow looks just about right.. I did have a Browning 22 and may look at those again. I think they may make one that has a polymer frame...

Do you know of anything small, and accurate..?

Thanks,

Cg..
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Consider a Kel-Tec P-32... lightweight, reasonable self-defense round, and you might be able to use fmj rounds to hunt as well as with a .22 cal.  I've heard that you have to work them out sometimes, but eventually they can be accurate and reliable enough for your purposes.

www.kel-tec.com/prod02.htm

I don't know about sights, but can't be any worse than the NAA weapons.  I think accurate at any distance and small/light are mutually exclusive, partly due to very short sight radius and even non-existent sights on many small weapons.

I had a Walther TPH in .22 and loved it.  Reasonably accurate, very reliable, but heavy at almost 12 oz. empty.  Compared to the P-32 at almost 7 oz,it seems to weigh more.  Neat little pistol, though, with good sights, and went bang every time.  Expensive though, I should add.

www.waltherusa.net/tp.htm#

Finally, I'd consider the SIG Trailside, or even a shorter barrelled Ruger in 22/45 configuration. The Ruger especially is ultra-reliable and accurate, with plenty of 'smiths able to make it do wonders while lightening it up.  A fun gun I'd take out into the boonies.

Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Ruger Bearcat, but it isnt a palm pistol, but it is small.
GG
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]
CoyoteGray

I hike as well.  I am saving up for a Titanium 38.  I ma going the self defense route mostly.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Try a Glock 26 sub-compact (9mm Luger) or Glock 27 sub-compact (.40 S&W).  Compact, concealable, accurate, lightweight, potent, reliable.  The 26 holds 10 cartridges in the magazine.  The 27 holds 9 cartridges in the magazine.  Both also accept the dual-stack hi-cap magazines used for the bigger Glocks.

My personal favorite is the Glock 27.  If you buy a Glock, it might take some getting use to the lack of a selectable safety.  My advice is to buy a saf-t-blok which blocks the trigger from being squeezed, but can be popped out instantly in the event the weapon is needed.  Otherwise, the weapon needs to stay in a holster which securely guards the trigger.

See article at:
http://members.aol.com/SAFTBLOK/index.html  
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Agree with GunGuru re: Bearcats.  Those are great little pistols that are surprisingly accurate.  However, the single action, weak cartridge, and slow reload make it a bit poor for self defense.

Don’t know how you feel about Smith and Wesson, but the Model 337 .38 Spl. +P Kit Gun looks really attractive for what you want.  It has a 3 inch barrel, adjustable sights and weights 13 ounces.  It’s pretty expensive, though.  

Another possibility is the S&W Model 317 .22LR Kit Gun, which also has a 3 inch barrel, adjustable sights and weights 12 ounces.

I’ve never shot one, but the new Walther P22 22LR semi-auto also might be worth looking at.  I’ve seen them at gun shows for $299.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're sure .22LR is the caliber you want, then check out the Walther P22.

Link Posted: 3/4/2002 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with the Walther P22. I've seen them down in Loveland CO. at Sportsmans Warehouse for $199.00. Looks like a really nice gun. Feels good in the hand, and not too big.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Oops!  I think I misspoke on the price of the P22 in my prior post.

Anyway, it’s small almost to the point of being dainty!  Assuming it’s accurate (and being a Walther, I’d think it would be), it looks like it would be an excellent kit gun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:14:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I agree with the Walther P22. I've seen them down in Loveland CO. at Sportsmans Warehouse for $199.00. Looks like a really nice gun. Feels good in the hand, and not too big.

Actually Sportsmans Warhouse just ran out of the uncompensated model, my brother put the floor model on layaway last night .  They do have a couple of the compensated models.  I think after I get my Ruger MK II Government off layaway and pay for the Mil Spec Operator that I ordered I'm going to buy a P22.  If you guys havnt already been to Sportsmans Warehouse I highly recommend that you do.  Its the only large sporting goods store that I know of that will sell AR's and just about anything else you want to order.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Dont forget that the p22 has different size palm swells and a threaded barrel (anyone thinking suppressor?).
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually Sportsmans Warhouse just ran out of the uncompensated model, my brother put the floor model on layaway last night .  They do have a couple of the compensated models.  I think after I get my Ruger MK II Government off layaway and pay for the Mil Spec Operator that I ordered I'm going to buy a P22.  If you guys havnt already been to Sportsmans Warehouse I highly recommend that you do.  Its the only large sporting goods store that I know of that will sell AR's and just about anything else you want to order.

Actualy it's not a compensator. It's a "stabilizer", just a barrel weight. That's the P22Target, and I got mine for $260. I then ordered the short barrel for $60 online. Pretty slick little setup, I can switch back and forth between the 5 inch and the 3.5 inch barrels. It comes with 2 different backstraps, One magazine with a finger groove and one magazine with a flat plate, a loaded chamber indicator, 3 different front sight ramps, an integrated lock, mag saftey, ambidextrous mag release and manual safety, and YES it is a threaded barrel.

It is very accurate, and so far it's eaten every crap .22 round I've fed thru it. You can't go wrong with this pistol !  

IMHO, YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The girlfriend gave me a Browning Buckmark .22 for Christmas (she's a sweetheart!) and this thing is damn accurate and fits well into my daypack as a "survival" backup. Although mine is the "Standard" model with a 7" (I think) barrel, they have a "Camper" model with a 4" (I think) barrel also. Pretty decent gun, if it's not too large for your needs/requirements. And you could DEFINITELY hit a squirrel at 50yds with this thing. Price for mine was $239.00.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Gamesniper..

She is a keeper. Where do you find a girl like that. The only thing I ever seem to get is a hard time...

I had a buckmark several years back, and liked it.. I think Ill look at the smaller one, I think it may work for me.. I really like the size of the little NAA 22's, but accuracy may not be good enough.. Ah hell.. Ill get both!!

Cg..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top