Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2002 11:02:46 PM EDT
Went to the range and test fired the 700 PSS / .308 and the Marlin 1895 .45-70.

First test was at the 50-yd. line due to time constraints.  Had to make sure each was on the paper and not spend too much time.

The 1895 with Reminton 405gr. SP's was a thrill. I only bopped my glasses once.
My brother-in-law looked over at me at one point and had a trickle of blood running down the bridge of his nose!  The rangemaster was amused.
We cleaned up his cut and proceeded with Federal 300gr., which shot 3" higher and 2" right of the 405's.

Next, we took out the 700 PSS.
Remington 168gr. BTHP Match was erratic.
Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr. BTHP Sierra MatchKing was right on!  That is a good combination with this rifle.

I committed the heinous sin of just shooting the freakin' gun without a magic break-in ritual.
NEENER-NEENER-NEE-NER!
I don't think the rifle noticed.
It WAS only at 50yds., but, hey, little tiny groups work for me, regardless of the distance!
This is one good shooter.
I need practice.

The rifles got named after being "deflowered".

Since the 1895 drew first blood:  XENA.
The 700 was like my first, uh, time:  SUZY.

Time to get to know the girls better...
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a PSS in a 308 also, with a Leupold LRT 6.5-20x50 30MMtube.  When I first got it I was shooting Federal GM 168g out it it.  I recorded 5/8" groups at 300 yards with that ammo. I really believe the rifle was made to shoot that ammo.  Its really a fun rifle to shoot, and play with different loads for.  Enjoy!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That's incredibly good.
You're probably right about the 'made for each other' aspect.
I'm anxious to check it out.
One of the other members at the range said there's going to be a benchrest match in a couple of weeks.  200-300yds.
I'm too new and too broke after my last 3 acquisitions ( I just got the 2nd Bushmaster lower today ), so I'll go and observe the High Masters at work.
My aspiration is to get as good as I can, then show up dressed like a flunky and get a good score!
Next year.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!!! I have a 700 police in 300 ultra.  I really want to test drive one of those Marlin guide guns in .45-70 as well.

But really,... Break your barrel in right!!  At this point take some Sweets 7.62 or similar and using a nylon coated rod (and bore guide) and a good jag, take a few tight patches and scrub out that barrel.  Break in IS important and if the copper builds up those groups will expand.

Just a warning from someone who did otherwise once or twice and regretted it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, Stealth, I'll do it.
I just hate to be conventional!

I shot a BDL .300 Ultra one time.  The guy had just bought it and offered me a shot.  Like a gunwriter said, it was "abrupt".  Nice recoil!
It had open sights, as it really WAS 'right out of the box'.  He didn't break it in either!

As for the .45-70...if it has a regular scope on it, Leupold golden ring or not, back off a bit.  At least for the first couple of shots.
Yeah, baby!

Thanks for the tip on the break-in.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Thats my next thing, I want to get a BM reciever to build another rifle for shooting highpower.  ( almost next thing, I just put a .40CAl Springfield XD on layaway.)

and what Stealth said.... I know how it is to get something new and just keep shooting it, I admit, Ihave done, but you will thank yourself for doing the proper break in thing in the long run. I clean mine with Boretech Benchrest Blend, using a Dewey and a good soft brush ( the Boretech ones work fine) After getting getting it clean with that I follow up with some Hoppies #9 to remove any left over boretech which has amonia in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top