Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2002 10:28:24 AM EDT
Any suggestions on good books/lit to get or junk to avoid on AR-15s

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I like The Complete AR-15/M16 Sourcebook by Duncan Long.

shop.paladin-press.com/Store/prodinfo.asp?prodid=4270
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I, too, like the Duncan Long series... if you read one, you'll want them all. Another great book to get is "The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide," by Walt Kuleck and Scott Duff. Go to Scott Duff's site at www.scott-duff.com/index.htm.
This book is DEFINITELY worth getting... I saw it at a gun show and had to have it. It has lots of photos, as well as pre-ban/post-ban serial number breakdowns for most manufacturers, and a Colt model number listing with specs (no production dates, however). There is a section on building your own, and there's a bibliography in the back and a resource list with urls. Every AR owner should have this book.

FITTER out
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Here’s my list:

The AR-15 Complete Owner’s Guide, Walt Kuleck and Scott Duff.

As the title suggests, this is something akin to the manual you get when you buy a car.  It has a lot of good info on operation, assembly and cleaning of the AR.  

It also has some info on the AR’s history, the different features available with AR’s, and a few tips on building them.  This would be an excellent first book for a new AR owner.

Black Magic - The Ultra Accurate AR15, John Feamster.

This book is focused on competition shooting and assumes you already know a bit about AR’s.  John is a frequent visitor to this site.

The Black Rifle, R Blake Stevens and Edward C. Ezell.

This book is focused almost entirely on the history of the M16, from its inception to maybe the early 1980’s.  A fascinating read for knowledgeable AR aficionados, it can be a bit dreary for beginners.  It is a “coffee table book” with a commensurate price.

The Complete Guide to AR-15 Accuracy, Derrick Martin and Barrett Tillman.

This book is focused on the custom gunsmithing of the AR and contains a lot of hard-to-find AR gunplumbing information.   This includes fitting barrels, putting on floater tubes, fitting match triggers, making .22LR AR conversions, etc.  It also has a little info on shooting, cleaning and such.

The Competitive AR-15, Glen D. Zediker

As with Feamster’s book, above, this is focused on competition shooting and assumes you already know a bit about AR’s.  (Incidentally, Zediker’s writing style is a bit reminiscent of Jeff Coopers - i.e., it is extremely well done.  Granted, he doesn’t seem quite so opinionated as the good Colonel.)

The Complete AR-15/M16 Sourcebook, Duncan Long

Long is a prolific writer on many things.  Unfortunately, his focus is on quantity, not quality, so he can be a little sloppy at times.  On the other hand, he really does pull together quite a bit of useful information.  

This book covers the history of the AR, it’s varieties, operation and cleaning, and how to build one (Long also has a separate book on building AR’s).  It also has a somewhat vague section on full auto conversions and a good section on accessories.

This book has just been revised.  If you get a copy, be sure to get the 2002 edition (which I haven’t seen yet), not the original 1992 edition.  

(contined)
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
(continued from above)

The M16/AR15 Rifle, A Shooter’s and Collector’s Guide, Joe Poyer.

Poyer’s books tend to thinnish with a heavy collector’s emphasis in them.  This one is no exception.  History and the various AR models are, of course, covered.  However, the book also covers operation, assembly and cleaning quite well.  

It has an interesting chapter in which literally every part in the rifle is described in minute detail.  This is also a good book for the new AR owner.

Some of the Answer, Urban Carbine, Jim Crews

Subtitled: A Technique and Tactics Manual for the Colt Carbine (though in my opinion it really isn’t AR specific).  

This somewhat thinnish manual essentially covers the rifle training you would go through if you attended a beginning rifle school.  It is very well illustrated and easy to follow.  It also has lesson plans describing specific shooting drills.

It is privately published and is available through www.marksmans.com/.  Jim has visited this site, though I haven’t seen him recently.

The Tactical Rifle, Gabriel Suarez

Subtitled: The Precision Tool for Urban Police Operations.  

This is not an AR specific book.  It has info on marksmanship, ballistics, carrying a defensive rifle, shooting from different positions, low light shooting, CQB shooting, shooting up and down hill, and such.

Suarez has visited this site in the past.  However, I understand he currently has some pretty serious legal problems.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:18:03 AM EDT
[#5]
199: Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
in addition to the above i have the "AR15,M16 Assault Rifle Handbook,  by J. David McFarland/ Desert Publications

some history, a lyttle development, BUT ! very, very basic, good photos, actually B&W enhanced photos, of take down, cleaning, assembly, & every part & mil. Spec. p/n

also a good beginners starter book, never mind the copyright date.., i thynk it is 1984ad..., but as i said, never mind the date, the info is tymeless....!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top