Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2002 5:24:24 PM EDT
I feel a bit cheesy for admitting this, but I've never shot my AR15 in its present configuration.

I put plenty of rounds through it when it was just a beater, but since I've added a new upper and had it refinished, I've kept it out of the rotation.

Does that make me a poser?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
No, a lot of people keep one or two collectables out of circulation.  

If you want to redeem yourself, slap a franekngun together on a cast lower and spend Saturday afternoons chewing through cases of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Nah. I have a pre-ban AR-15 that has never been fired and a post-ban one that has. In fact, I shoot none of my pre-bans (that's what post-bans are for).
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't call you a poser for not shooting it. That's your call. If you feel it's collectable ad want to maintain the value, more power to you.

But it sounds like the rifle was fired before, and isn't in the original configuration. So......

Do you have another AR to shoot and are just holding this one back? If not, you are a poser.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Same here, I dont touch the prebans. I do bring them out to show off sometimes like on the 4th of July when I know there will be a lot of people. I know, I'm an idiot but I didnt blow about 10 grand to keep it a secret.

I do shoot the hell out of my Dissipator, I have about 6K rouds thru it so far. I shoot it until the barrel smokes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot all of my guns except for an H&A revolver that I inherited from my grandmother that her dad got from Al Capone.  It is so trashed that if it weren't for the history I would get rid of it.  Shooting it would be dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#6]
No. Other rifles lying around, but no other AR'S right now.

I still have the 20" original upper but it's a preban. I should probably sell it since I don't have the $ or desire to buy another preban lower.

As for the "poser" M4gery I guess that it's just been a combination of relatively few convenient places to shoot since I've recently moved and a reluctance to foul up my "pristine" carbine.

That's it. I've decided to shoot it just as soon as I find a place to. Any suggestions in the Raleigh NC area would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
My guns are tools, not investments. They all work. Some are cheaper than others and see more action, but they all work and get worked.

-elliott
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No. Other rifles lying around, but no other AR'S right now.

I still have the 20" original upper but it's a preban. I should probably sell it since I don't have the $ or desire to buy another preban lower.

As for the "poser" M4gery I guess that it's just been a combination of relatively few convenient places to shoot since I've recently moved and a reluctance to foul up my "pristine" carbine.

That's it. I've decided to shoot it just as soon as I find a place to. Any suggestions in the Raleigh NC area would be appreciated.

Snailfan, it's just not fair to your rifle if you don't shoot it. Believe me, if you listen close enough right now you can hear it saying "shoot me, I don't deserve to be clean!".

Now get out there and make your rifle happy soldier!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot every firearm I own. Some more than others. Not shooting yours doesn't make you a poser but you are missing out on the fun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]

I shoot both my preban AR15s all the time. Shoot the HK quite a bit. The preban AK sits in the safe just because it feels like a 2X4 in my hands
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an unfired 1965 SP1 that I cannot imagine ever shooting. It's as perfect as it was the day it left the factory & I intend to keep it that way. Though I do have to clean it more often than I like to, after friends come over & drool on it!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:53:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have an unfired 1965 SP1 that I cannot imagine ever shooting. It's as perfect as it was the day it left the factory & I intend to keep it that way. Though I do have to clean it more often than I like to, after friends come over & drool on it!

Bahhh, when you croak, your wife/kid/ect. is just going to sell it to someone like me who is going to rush it right to the range to bust it's cherry

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Have it buried with you, that way nobody can sell it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#14]
My daughters passion for AR's is just as strong as mine. She would no more sell it or fire it than I would. And she's only 9 years old.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#15]
i guess everbody has thier own reasons for collecting firearms. me?? i can not resist the rush of pulling the trigger. keep it clean and take care of it. it will still have value especially when you tell the buyer this bitch will plug the bullseye from 100m to 300m out!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Everything I have, from the ARs to the Pearl Harbor dated Garand to the M2 carbine and all in between I shoot.

To me having a weapon and not shooting it is like having a fast car, motorcycle, woman, loud stereo etc etc and not utilizing said treasures ability to make the thrill-o-meter soar!

OF course, if I had a 1965 cherry SP-1 I would not shoot it either.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I would be, but every time my buddy and I TALK about going shootin' it snows..well it snowed alright and last time I looked it was 10 deg F. outside!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I am a shooter first and a collector second. I like to play with my toys!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Black Rifle, White Snow, great contrast!  Now...where did i put that case of ammo???

heavy.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top