Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2002 11:03:54 PM EDT
I'm looking around for my next purchase, and I'd like to stick with semi-auto, detachable magazine rifles, since they'll probably be the first to get banned (other than the .50 BMG rifles maybe... but I can't afford those right now).  On my list so far, I have:

Ruger Police Carbine
Ruger Mini-14
Ruger Mini-30
Ruger Deerfield Carbine
M1 Garand (sort of)
M1 Carbine
M1A
SKS (sort of)
Marlin Camp Carbine

I already have a Garand, the M1A costs too much for now, I'd rather buy a non-Ruger if possible (not really boycotting them, just prefer to buy from someone else if possible... please don't turn this into another Ruger discussion), the SKS wouldn't be legal with detachable mags, the Marlin Camp Carbines are hard to find in my preferred caliber (.45), and the M1 Carbine... well, I don't have anything bad to say, so I guess it's my best option right now (as long as I can find one with an original military receiver).  But I'd like a few more options.  

Am I overlooking anything?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
What you have listed is pretty much what is legal here.

While it is expensive, I would highly recommend the M1A (before they try to ban it). it is a nice, accurate rifle.

I tend to avoid the Ruger semi-auto rifles as well, they aren't as accurate as the AR or the M1A. They can be but they need work which can add up quickly.

Plus the Mini 14 & 30 are picky about mags from what i've heard.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
question fer you Commiefornia guys........

my son who lives in Calif. wants to buy one of my pre-ban AR15s, can he legaly do so ?? can he own a AR15 pre-ban in Calif. ?????
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:07:50 AM EDT
[#3]
He can own it, just cant bring it into the state.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:39:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry Catcus Jack, but your son cannot legally buy any AR-15 in the PRK unless he owned it and registered it before Jan 2000.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with the M-1a/M-14, own a peice of history. I like Garands too but am not oo fond of the 8 round clips/strippers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Is the Galil legal in California?  These are not cheap either, but I want one anyway.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Legal? In Kalifornia?  With all the new laws they are working on, what you have will probably be banned soon.

I hear they are working on state legislation to make martial arts illegal.  If you are a martial artist already living in Kalifornia you are ok, but if a martial artist moves into the state, he/she must have their hands and feet amputated.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Our Assault Weapons Control Act dose not allow for the permitting of individual citizens.  However, if you had a business that needed an assault weapon <I think 10% or more of the business required it>  then I think you would qualify for getting a permit.  Is the $350 permit worth it?  The retrofitting costs for your home and car could exceed $1000 or more so I would have to say nope not worth it<unless your business can afford it>.
I say get a FAB-10, closet thing you are going to get to a pre-ban, or an AR for that matter.  Are they any good?  I have not seen a range report on the FAB-10 so I donno…
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Rasheed/Rashid
Hakim
AG42B
G43/K43
SVT-40
FN49
M1941 Johnson
HK SL6
HK SL7
Browning BAR
Remington 7400 Syn

Here's a few other oddballs you missed...
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#10]
you forgot ka-bar and baseball bat
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]
You can still get a FAL

DSA has a California model:
www.dsarms.com/SA58_T48_Replica.htm
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Which "assault" weapons are still legal in CA?

OK I'LL TELL YA:

Would you like it as in TOP 10????

*FORD EXPEDITION
*DODGE RAM 1500
*CHEVY TAHOES
*FORD EXCURSION
*CHEVY SUBURBAN
*"THE NAVIGATORS"
*FORD F-350
*JEEP GRRRRAND CHEROKEES
*FORD F-150
*GODDAMED E-S-C-A-L-A-D-E-S

I'M ASSAULTED NEARLY EVERY DAY BY ONE OF THESE.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 12:51:20 AM EDT
[#13]
minion82:
         Your best choice would be the most expensive choice. The M1A. I know that the price can seem out of reach. But if you just keep saving your money, you will eventually be able to afford one.

Barring that..I would say the SKS.
(I like the M1 Carbine better, but ammo is cheaper for the SKS in addition to being more powerful than 30 carbine).

Other alternatives:
The MAS, Swedish Lungeman, FN49
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:02:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Another gun that can still be "Transfered" in Kali is the Cobray M-12, Pm11 and there is one brand of MAC10 that is still legal. The reason I say transfered is because they are not on the list of Handguns certified for sale in California. I guess they didn't even do the drop test on them. The only MAC's that are specified in the ban are M11's and the RPB M10. The reason I know that the others can be transfered is because I bought a M12 last week from a guy who also lives in California luckily we found a dealer who was willing to do the transfer. Most people think the whole MAC series is banned and won't touch the transfer. So you have to find someone preferably in the state who is willing to sell it to you and a dealer with some balls. You can expect to pay 2 or 3 times the price you would pay in another state.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought about something else I found A dealer who has a CETME for sale without a pistol grip, and he also has a special weapons SW5pdw without the pistol grip. I know special weapons has a bad rap and a history of problems but I felt I had to mention it . I have to say it looks cool as hell even if if does not function well, it has a fixed folding stock and a K grip with a 16" barrel. He wants $2300.00 bucks for it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#16]
For those of you with sons in this state, here is what you need to do:

First, buy an AR15-type lower with a manufacturer and model name that is not on the original ban list or latest amended list (Fulton Armory, etc). Keep it in your state however. Then, when Lockyer gets around to updating the list, check it to see if that manufacturer and model has been added. If so, then your son has 90 or 120 days (I can't remember the exact time) to register. Have him do so. When the registration papers come back to your son... wala... he has a registered AR-type rifle for PRK.

Everybody with sons in this commie state needs to do this because we have to show how frivolious this law is. I need to be adapted as my father lives in this state and is a politican too (non-partison office).
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Ramos... it sounds like you've been at M&N Armory.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:54:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Legal? In Kalifornia?  With all the new laws they are working on, what you have will probably be banned soon.

I hear they are working on state legislation to make martial arts illegal.  If you are a martial artist already living in Kalifornia you are ok, but if a martial artist moves into the state, he/she must have their hands and feet amputated.

You got to be kidding.... there is no way they
can banned martial arts! they would take it underground first!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
For those of you with sons in this state, here is what you need to do:

First, buy an AR15-type lower with a manufacturer and model name that is not on the original ban list or latest amended list (Fulton Armory, etc). Keep it in your state however. Then, when Lockyer gets around to updating the list, check it to see if that manufacturer and model has been added. If so, then your son has 90 or 120 days (I can't remember the exact time) to register. Have him do so. When the registration papers come back to your son... wala... he has a registered AR-type rifle for PRK.

Everybody with sons in this commie state needs to do this because we have to show how frivolious this law is. I need to be adapted as my father lives in this state and is a politican too (non-partison office).

I don’t think that will work...
They are no longer taking new AW registrations.  Could you copy and past some of that register in 90 days stuff?   Last time they did something like that was with the SKS’ and from what I remember there was a mandatory buyback program to get rid of them.  My understanding of it is that as soon as your weapon is named it must be relinquished to the authority, that’s what I’ve been told.  Although everything the DOJ has told in the past has never been 100% accurate.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Stator you are correct I have been to M&N.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#21]
what happens to the  "registered/banned" rifles when current aw owners pass on?  sounds like they are the last generation of owners.

in fifty or so years from now, kali grandchildren and great grandchildren will be wondering what to do with grampa's guns.  

"what guns?!"
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#22]
When the owner passes on you can ship them out of state, have the receiver torched so it can never be fired again or turn them over to the state.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
what happens to the  "registered/banned" rifles when current aw owners pass on?  sounds like they are the last generation of owners.

in fifty or so years from now, kali grandchildren and great grandchildren will be wondering what to do with grampa's guns.  

"what guns?!"

yup, the state takes them - or you can distroy them/remove/unarm them from the state in 90 days.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#24]
You're also forgetting the "evil" autoloading .22's like the Ruger 10/22. I know it's only a .22, but we all remember the girl who couldn't shoot her custom Walther pistol because it was too "evil".

Oh yeah, there's also the H&K SLB2000. An autoloading .30-06 rifle with detachable magazines with capacities of 2, 5 and 10 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top