Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2002 5:00:24 PM EDT
all this talk about the FN police rifle w/its chrome-lined barrel and still having exceptional accuracy...

why not a chrome-lined rem 700 PSS or LTR?

if you could get close to the same accuracy and EXTREME life-span, would be a great rifle to have...
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The problem is that the equipment to do chrome lining is very expensive to purchase and operate, and chrome lining is not easy to apply evenly enough to allow for good accuracy, and it is something that very few in the firearms community know they want (and they do want it ;-).  Take a look at who makes chrome lined barrels and you'll see that they all are pretty much all government contractors.  FN, Colt, Beretta, Bushmaster.

I'd love to have some chrome lined barrels for different bolt action rifles.  Hell, I'd love to have one for my 1911.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
My Opinion:
If it were possible, to get equal accuracy benchrest shooter would be using them and loving it!
When you consider they get 1-2000 rnds before changing the barrel out.gj.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
"Because it is IMPOSSIBLE to the the EXACT same thickness of chrome down the entire barrel, the bullet's accuracy suffers as a result of the ever-changing bore diameter and it's effect on the bullet."

This sentance, or similar, is found in every accurized or benchrest rifle book I've ever came across.

When the bullet passes through the thickest plated area, the next area it encounters will not be expelling the same amount of force. It's a slowing and speeding effect during bore travel.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
im sorry, but it is impossible?  the FN police rifle shows (at least in my opinion) that a chrome lined barrel is capable of 1/2 moa groups.  AND it seems it will last virtually forever, whether the accuracy will or not who knows but i dont see why not.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#6]
What's the barrel life on a chrome barrel anyway?  Is there a serious improvement?  

How much is that new FN going to be selling for anyway?  I heard under $1000, that sound about right?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about the thickness of the plating and how perfect or imperfect it may be, but I DO know that there are a hell of a lot of AR15s out there, from every major manufacturor, that get very sub-MOA groups with chrome-lined bores. Damn, what a long sentence........sorry 'bout that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#8]
barrel life is significantly improved...to put it lightly.

non-chrome lined: ~500 - 3000 depending on caliber/powder used etc...

chrome-lined: ~30,000 probably at a minimum...ive seen M16's that im sure have triple that.  not exactly tack drivers im sure.  

but we are talking about tactical, accurate rifles.  i dont really know what the accuracy life-span is...got to be a lot more though
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#9]

why not a chrome-lined rem 700 PSS or LTR?

Marketing.  If the FN took over in the price range and started kicking the crap out of the 700 in sales at that price point (not likely), Rem might do it to regain competiveness.  OTOH, Rem probably doesn't even have the equipment to do chrome-lining since nothing they make has it, they'd have to outsource.  Probably to FN!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:46:10 AM EDT
[#10]
it seems to me that i read some where that a "button" or "broach" is run thru the barrel AFTER the chrome job ?????? if so wuddn't this eliminate the thick/thin lining job ?????
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:43:12 AM EDT
[#11]
We are talking about a weapon marketed to swat personnel and serious shooters, not 14 year olds in the third world.  A police sniper is very likely to clean his/her weapon regularly.  A military sniper will clean his religiously.  Why not have FN drop the chrome and spend the difference on better components like a bigger lug, wolff springs or blueprinting the actions?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:15:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll keep the chrome lining myself, there's such something reassuring about knowing it is more resistant to damage.  That might even include potential damage from overcleaning.  As far as blueprinting or Wolff springs, how much more accurate is that really going to make the rifle?  It already can do half-minute groups, I don't think it's going to get much better than that no matter what you do to it.  Unless you come out with a version in 6mm PPC . . .
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#13]
i realize that this is a precision weapon marketed towards professionals not 14yr olds

BUT

given the technology to be able to chrome line a barrel and keep it accurate

WHO WOULDNT WANT ONE?  whether you clean it religiously or not, it will last WAY longer (in theory at least)  

only time will tell whether these rifles will retain their accuracy over the long haul but if they did, i wouldnt mind getting a chrome-lined barrel for my remmy 700. (never have to rebarrel again...)
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I would think that better components would help to make the rifle more reliable over the long run.  Good springs will give more consistant lock time and trigger pull. A bigger recoil lug gives more stable and reliable bedding.  How about a large bolt knob like the Badger or a good steel mount with 8/40 screws, steel trigger guard and floor plate?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top