Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2002 11:35:30 AM EDT
No flames intended.

Today when I was at the gunshop I spied a new Colt flat-top on the rack.

I haven't purchased a Colt since I bought my pre-ban HBAR back in '90, so I was standing there thinking seriously about making a new Colt purchase.

That is until he handed it to me.  Needless to say, I wan't impressed with it.  So instead of buying it today, I've decided to "sleep on it."

I was happy to see that Colt is no longer installing the sear block, and I can live with their new lower.  However I have some questions about other aspects of their product.

A) What's up with the el cheapo trapdoor on the buttstock?

B) Why is the buffer black?  Is it plastic?

C) Is the chamber and barrel chrome lined?

D) Does Colt still ship a sling and a cleaning kit with their rifles?

AND

E) Would you buy Colt's current production rifles?

I'm leaning toward buying this rifle, not as a shooter but as an investment.  It seems that Colt rifles hold their value.  Am I off-base here?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Schnert, not sure about B) and D); however, in response to A), I can only assume cost (and corner) cutting on the "el cheapo" trap door.  Question C) gets a "yes" and "no": they still chrome plate the chamber, but they no longer chrome plate the bore (to the best of my knowledge).  And in response to E), No, I would not buy Colt's current product line.  I am, however, a HUGE Colt fan.  I own seven pre-ban Colt's rifles (two SP1's, one SP1 carbine, one Sporter II, one SPII carbine, one carbine in 7.62x39, and one M4gery), and cannot say enough about the quality, performance, and craftsmanship.  IMHO, I wouldn't buy a post-ban as an investment vehicle, although Colt's do hold (and sometimes increase) their value, post-bans are for shooting.  I would go with a Bushmaster or a Rock River Arms if you're looking at a post-ban.  For investment purposes, Colt pre-bans can't be beat in the AR15 arena....my .02 cents.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cloak-
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  You've just saved me some money.  

Has state control of Colt killed a once proud American legend?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a post ban MT6601c 20" 1/7 HBar. Its is an accurate, reliable, and quality weapon. The trap door is plastic, the buffer is plastic. They both work fine. Colt has made both chromed and not chromed HBar barrels. You can verify if the one you are looking at is chrome lined by looking at the end of the muzzle- if you see a small(chrome)ring where the phosphate coating didn't stick it is a chrome bore. Mine is. All are chambered in 5.56 and have chromed chamber. Sling and cleaning kit are included. Mine is set up for bench, with a 3-10x44 scope and harris bipod. I can put 10 in a 1-2" ring at 100 every time. regardless of ammo. IMHO the post ban Colt is expensive, and worth it.

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are buying Colt AR15 as investments be aware that in 2004 the Fed. AW ban could expire.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know.  I just can't get over the difference in quality between the pre and post ban Colts.

The barrel was marked C MP 5.56 NATO 1X9 so I assumed that the barrel was chrome lined and magnetic particle inspected, but when I looked at the crown I saw no evidence of chrome lining.

Now, I've shot both chrome lined and chrome moly -  what is the advantage of a lined chamber and an unlined bore?  Is it an attempt to gain reliability and accuracy in one?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally I feel that Colt has abandoned the American gun owner ane won't buy from them ever again.

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the Colt you buy that determines the level of quality, I guess!  I have an A3 Elite (26" SS barrel, accurized and teflon coated trigger among stnd features) and it shoots REAL nice, I don't see any differences between the preban and current production, except that the preban's aren't near as accurate as my rifle, maybe because they've been used more.  I would definately buy another colt, I don't feel that there's a better name to be printed on the side of my reveiver. (Except Stoner!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top