Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2002 10:44:03 AM EDT
I read on another site about S&W not making a steel framed auto after this year,has anyone else heard this? Not that I intend on buying one but the guys at work hate Glocks and any other non steel pistol.When I read this, I just tickled me to death to be able to throw this up in their faces.I did hear that S&W will continue to make the stainless slide.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Hadn't heard that but it wouldn't surprise me.  The all steel Smiths weigh a ton.  Friend has an all steel 40 (4006 I think).  Good gun tho if I had to carry all day I would quickly have back trouble.

Frames on Smiths (or any other auto) aren't really subject to that much stress.  Alloy works quite nicely, at least until you get to the 10mm.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I bet S&W is trying to save money, becaues machining aluminum is probably easier and faster than machining steel, and polymer frames require no machining at all.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I read the frames are supposed to be polymer and or scandium(?),whatever that is.Also there is to be a .45 version of the SW99.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a steel framed Smith, 1006.  If the deer get close enough next fall I am going to try to club one on the head.  Besides the weight 43 oz, it's a great gun.  After having the trigger tuned I shoot IPDA with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top