Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2002 4:37:18 PM EDT
OK, the time has come. I'm getting an AK. Problem is, I don't know what to get.

1. Arsenal SSR-85B AKM. How much does this gun weigh? I'd replaced the stock with black furniture though.

2. Krebs Custom: An AK-103 or some sort of 5.45 variant. They're supposed to e-mail me back and update their web site with their new choices. I can pay the money, but would it be worth it?

Any other suggestions are welcome. I want something that's accurate and of high quality. However, I want to be able to shoot Wolf/Barnul ammo through it routinely. One of the reasons I want an AK is the ammo and mags are cheaper than my AR-15.

As far as a caliber goes, I like the idea of 7.62x39 cause I could go deer hunting with it. However, I'll probably be stuck at the range mostly with this thing. Is 5.45x39 worth the trouble of finding the ammo and paying the higher price? .223 is nice, but the mags are harder to find and I've read of function problems with the .223 waffle mags.

Lastly, the other thing I was considering, is that if I ever got the time to go down to Thunder Ranch for their Urban Rifle I class, an AK variant would be the ticket. I don't trust my AR-15 for that purpose. I hate the magazines, and I fear it would jam on my ass.

Thanks guys,

themao
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
VEPR K.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]
It would jam on your ass?  That would be painful . . .

Your AK answer depends on how much you want to spend.  I just got a Romanian for $325 and it seems to do everything an AK should do (except go full auto).

I went to a rifle class at Front Sight with an AR and I am glad I did *not* have an AK.  AKs are too imprecise with their crummy sights for accuracy work on a range.

I have seen 5.45 ammo for *less* than 7.62, although I don't think I have seen this recently.  Never shot it, heard recoil impulse is minimum, but this really probably matters a lot more on an auto gun.

Hope that free .02 helps . . .
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I haven't hunted with the 5.45, but have taken deer with the 7.62X39.

I have shot a 5.45 AK, and I can tell you that the differance in recoil is amazing. The 5.45 seemingly doesn't kick at all.

I just sold a 7.62 AK to finance a 5.45. From what I understand the 5.45 round is much more accurate. I mean, it can't be worse than the 7.62. And the 5.45 is much lighter, especially with the bakelight mags.

To be honest with you I'm not sure that the 5.45 wouldn't be ok for taking deer under 100 yards. I've taken deer with .223 at those ranges.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck either way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a SSR-85B. If you are going to go with a thirty cal this is the one to get. Mine with, good ammo, will hold 1-1.5" at a hundred yards. A gun mag recently had similar results with one. If you are dead set on changing the stocks then I would get the Krebs, because the wood on the SSR-85B is beautiful and probably adds a considerable bit to the price.

Kyle
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#5]
go look at the pawn shops, here i found a heavy barrel Mak90 with american wood for 399, the poor mans RPK. it holds about 2in at 100. Too much fun off of the bipod. out here
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
VEPR K
7.62x39
5.45x39
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:24:56 AM EDT
[#7]
The issue with AK ownership has always been accuracy.  The inexpensive imported AK's have always been suspect in the accuracy department.  I chose to have an AK built by this gentleman:

www.solsticearms.com/
He is recognised as one of the premier AK smiths out there today.  Now there is a hefty price difference between a custom built AK and an off the shelf model however I felt having an accuracte and reliable weapon made it worth the price.

As to the caliber decision, I would go with the 5.45 x 39.  That ammo is now plentyful on the surplus market and the mags aren't that much more than 7.62 x 39 30 rounders.  I'm not quite sure what type of hunting rifle this would make but really would you use it for that purpose anyhow?  

Lastly, don't forget about the optics.  The sights on AK's are sub standard at best.  You will want to do something else for sure.  I suggest you also haunt this board for further info:
www.ak-47.net/

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:43:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:15:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As far as a caliber goes, I like the idea of 7.62x39 cause I could go deer hunting with it. However, I'll probably be stuck at the range mostly with this thing. Is 5.45x39 worth the trouble of finding the ammo and paying the higher price? .223 is nice, but the mags are harder to find and I've read of function problems with the .223 waffle mags.

The 7.62 is a great round.  However, my Mak90 in .223 will outshoot any 7.62 by a long shot!!  I have handled many AKs and the only thing that I have seen beat a Mak is a VEPR!!!

Lastly, the other thing I was considering, is that if I ever got the time to go down to Thunder Ranch for their Urban Rifle I class, an AK variant would be the ticket. I don't trust my AR-15 for that purpose. I hate the magazines, and I fear it would jam on my ass.

I have a confession to make. Three months ago I bought my first 16" A2 upper.  Before that I only owned a 20" bullbarrel that I cleaned after every range trip.   With this new 16 barrel I only cleaned it once when I first got it.  I have easuily shot 1500 rounds thru it and the only time it jammed was because of worn out feed lips on a bad mag.  I don't know about others experiences but my ar15 is just as reliable as my Mak90, ,,,,,and I love them both

Sgtar15                                                                                                                                                                                                  
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:52:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I have three.

1. First choice, try to find a Poly tech, post or pre. The post that I have is an awesome weapon. Have over 2000 rounds through it, about 400 bumping, NEVER a hitch. Maybe I'm just lucky, but it outshots my Bushy at the range. Plus, it doesn't have that annoying "PONG" every time I shoot it. You cannot loose on the purchase of a Poly tech. Bought mine for $400, had offers up to $650. Seems like their legend is growing.

2. Bulgarian looks awesome, shoots well. My best friend has one. They're a little heavier than the Poly. I believe that the SLR95 is milled, not sure about the SSR85 Arsenal. I have it at my parents. I am including it in my collection (hehe). I'm speaking about the SLR by the way.

3. NHM 91 (mini RPK, Norinco) only becuase the barrel is longer and your making a reference to shooting deer. Plus the bipod, you've got a nice weapon for deer.

My .02!

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Buy Mine!! It's right here!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=95727
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want 7.62, Bulgarian would be my first choice, with Chinese being the second.

If you want 5.45, try to find a SAR2.  The best thing would be to have a smith build up a Bulgie 74 kit on a Receiver.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Go with the Bulgarian SLR-95. I have one and love it. It has a milled reciever, chrome lined styer barrel, and will accept 30 round mags. The Romanians feel like cheap toys compared to the Bulgarian. If your not worried about having a bayonet or folding stock I think youll be happy with the SLR-95. I have seen them recently advertised in shotgun news for around $450.00. That's cheap, but they are drying up and the price is going up fast. I've seen them as high as $700.00.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Easy one for me.......go with the 5.45x39.  No recoil to speak of, ammo is 89 bucks per thousand at Century (delivery included) when its on sale (add 10 bucks when it's not), mags are 20 bucks for four with greasy pouch in very good condition (15 bucks when their on sale, once again at Century), and ammo is very easy to carry.  

I never shoot my 7.62x39 anymore.  5.45 for me.

vmax84
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't go with an AK47 7.62, they're inaccurate, poorly built, and difficult to hold if you're a bigger guy like me.  If you're a 5 year old, they're perfect.

*cough* I would recommend a Chinese Norinco SKS. Far more accurate. Well built. As far as the length goes, you're looking at approx 41in(depending on what variant you purchase)

heavy.gif
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Beware of the Century AK's with the canted front sights.

If you can get a "pre-ban" AK spend the extra money.  They don't tend to be as expensive as pre-ban AR's, but they're generally better weapons than the post-ban ones.

For instance, my friend is still abusing the Polytech I sold him back in '87.

However, I did buy a few ROMAKs at cost from a buddy once (+/-$190) and I abused them.  They did what an AK is suppossed to do... they shot a lot without jamming.

AK's aren't accurate, they're reliable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Arsenal, Inc. SA-M7

These are among the best - maybe even the best - and are equal in quality to Krebs at a lower price. Also, they have milled receivers - a preferrable feature, IMO

See my original post on the AK forum: ak.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=51199
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Go with the Bulgarian SLR-95. I have one and love it. It has a milled reciever, chrome lined styer barrel, and will accept 30 round mags. The Romanians feel like cheap toys compared to the Bulgarian. If your not worried about having a bayonet or folding stock I think youll be happy with the SLR-95. I have seen them recently advertised in shotgun news for around $450.00. That's cheap, but they are drying up and the price is going up fast. I've seen them as high as $700.00.  

I have the SLR-95 too!!

Right befor the ban in Cali, they were going for as much as $800. I bought one of the first ones in the U.S. for $329

It is a VERY, VERY nice rifle. An excellent buy!

I think the SA-M7 is the same rifle with the traditional stock.

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I take the impression that everyone likes the 5.45 better than the 7.62. All hell, I'd probably wouldn't use this gun to hunt anyway. Thanks for the input guys, I'll make a decision fairly soon.

themao
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top