Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2002 2:12:18 PM EDT
What do you guys think about heavy barrels? Is a fluted stainless steel barrel worth the money or should i just get a regular heavy barrel. Also, if i do get a heavy barrel it means i would have to buy a new stock(maybe a thumbhole), so what is a good brand of stock to buy?
I was looking at Fajen stocks but im not really sure where you buy them.

Also, a while back i found a site kind of like ar15.com but about 10/22's... if anyone could give me the URL that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Alchemist,

I'm not sure about the fluted barrels, but I put the carbon fiber Butler Creek bbls on the 10/22's my wife and I shoot last year.  They are fairly inexpensive and they are very accurate.  I looked into the Magnum Research Lite bbl, but it was more money than I was willing to pay.

I put a Butler Creek stock w/ integral bipod on mine, it's okay but the legs are too narrow for a good stable setup.  My wife wanted the Hogue overmolded stock so I bought it for her.  The Hogue stock is sweet!  Heavier than the BC stock and very high quality.

You could put a helluva lot more money into tuning the 10/22 than what I did, but both of the rifles I modified now shoot consistently .45" or less with non-match ammo at 50 yds.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#2]
cool. could i tell me a place where i could find the barrel and the hogue stock... even though im broke.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#3]
try jgsales.com they have clerke match grade barrel 16 or 20 inch plus hogue rubber stock for $99.95 or check the ad in shotgun news
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Try
[urlwww.rimfirecentral.com
Parts
]www.ontarget.com

I have a couple of 10/22's.
10/22 Target Laminate stock - barrel is really heavy
10/22 TNZ thumbhole laminate - Barrel profile is just right for carrying around and accuracy

If you don't have a heavy barrel on the gun now, you will need a different stock.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I am also curious about the 10/22 and plan to buy one within a month or less, this weekend if I get paid for a gun I sold to a friend.

I am considering the Target model blue with heavy bbl - $350

or I could get the standard model, $149 and then add the aftermarket parts barrel and stock.

What would you do and why?

This is a cost vs value deal to me as I want to keep it under $400 including scope.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want a good sight, I am doing a little spring cleaning and put this one Ebay.

Ruger 10/22 Fiber Optic Williams Sights Sight

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1808174174&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1015469116&indexURL=0&rd=1

It is currently at $6, I am paying shipping.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Alchemist311
If you are considering a heavy barrel weigh your options wisely.  Number one with the fluting you are going to dissipate the heat more rapidly and get a more constant shot to shot accuracy.  This is a good thing for those of us who shoot small bore silhouettes or any other kind of even or just love to make a rifle shoot to its best potential.  The other thing to consider is the weight that the barrel will add to the rifle.  The carbon barrels are really light weight and are very accurate.  I myself prefer a barrel that is a little heavier than the carbon barrels for balancing reasons.  
    As far as the stock is concerned I would either go with a thumbhole stock or a position stock.  Fajen has a good thumbhole stock and Bell and Carlson makes a good position stock that has an accessory rail.  Really check into the stocks there are plenty out there.
    A lot of the stocks and barrels come with different prices.  If you want the best I suggest Lija but they cost 300 up.  If you want a good cheep one go Butler Creek or Adams and Bennett.  They are all good just depends on what you want.  Happy Tuning

Anschutz

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#9]
$6 for the Williams Fire-sight? Get it, they are damn good sights. Stay away from tru-glo sights, however. I was sent one by mistake from Cabela's ( I THOUGHT I had ordered a Williams sight), and the rear sight was about 1/8 th inch higher than stock, while the front sight was not even half the height of the stock sight. To get it sighted in, I would have had to put a spacer under the front sight. And the tru-glo rear sight body is made of clear plastic, which looks cheesy as all hell.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#10]
if you get a heavy barrel, be prepared for a loss in reliability.  my 10/22 began to stovepipe after i installed a match barrel in it.  a better extractor would cure this, but it is still extremely annoying.  also they are heavy.  carbon fiber may be the way to go.  

just some suggestions from experience.

-spaceman
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
if you get a heavy barrel, be prepared for a loss in reliability.  my 10/22 began to stovepipe after i installed a match barrel in it.  a better extractor would cure this, but it is still extremely annoying.  also they are heavy.  carbon fiber may be the way to go.  

just some suggestions from experience.

-spaceman

From what I've heard, a lot of this is caused by the tighter chambers in the match barrels. The only help for this (that I know of) is either a better extractor Volquartsen makes, and to clean the bore and chamber more frequently. Or both.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one of Ruger's 10-22T with the heavy hammer forged barrels (they leave the barrel marked from the forging). Yes, go with a heavy barrel, but certainly go with a new match trigger set up. It (the trigger) will make a stock gun shoot nice.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey Zardoz,

My TruGlo says Williams on the side.

What is up with that?
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's the link
www.rimfirecentral.com
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Well since you are in TX I would reccomend the following.

Contact John Tibbetts in Palastine. Get one of his suppressors, the Hogue overmold stock, and Volquartzen trigger group.

Anything else is just fluff.

www.johnsguns.com
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got my 10/22 down to 1/2"@100 groups with cheap CCI Stnd ammo.  Under 1/4" @50.
My setup is as follows:
1) Volq heavy SS Fluted match ported with cantileaver mount (pure shit mount)
2) Bell & Carlson Anschutz stock
3) titanium extractor and firing pin
4) Honed (by me) trigger (Upgrading to the Volq 2000 trigger group soon)
Polished bolt and receiver.
5) Leupold 36x target scope

For some reason, this gun doesn't care if you give it match or stnd ammo, but it doesn't like stinger or any other high velocity ammo, it'll string groups.  I'm attributing it to the QUITE flexible cant mount that Volq sells.  DO NOT BUY IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey Zardoz,

My TruGlo says Williams on the side.

What is up with that?

Beats the hell outta me, man. Maybe "Tru-glo" is a subsidiary of Williams? All I know is that the Tru-Glo I got was a poorly thought out POS, and the Williams Fire-sight was much better. Hell, if yours works, and you like it, doesn't really matter who made it. Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I've built three custom 10/22's, all with heavy barrels.  I built two with Magnum Research graphite comped barrels and one with a Volquartsen heavy SS comped barrel. All three I used the Power Custom Grand Master Ti action kit, Volquartsen auto bolt release, Power Custom Ti claw extractor to rebuild the action. I have not tried the Volquartsen's trigger Group 2000, but have heard it is exellent.   I used Fajen stock's on all, two midnight laminate silhouette thumbholes and one extra fancy grade walnut silhouette thumbhole. All of them are extremely accurate.  My true silhouette gun shoots well under sub 1/4 moa at 50 yards. pics avaliable at www.angelfire.com/oh3/2ndamendment/1022s.html
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#19]
If you don't want a serious target rifle, just an accurate rifle for informal shooting, or maybe entry-level use the factory target with a few modifications.  I built my own.  With a new barrel (a Green Mountain 18" fluted, blued) at about 160 dollars and a thumbhole stock (laminated, SWEET) 250 dollars, I had almost 600 dollars into the gun with no new trigger (and buy new, don't bother with the factory), no improved scope mount (it's worth it, when I told a gunsmith that I was going to use the factory mount he looked at me funny), no glass bed, no sling swivels, and it was only about 7.5 pounds, too light for target work.

If I had it to do again, I'd buy the factory target, bed it,buy a new scope mount, and new trigger parts.  Maybe a new extractor, but I'm not sure if it needs it.

Just my experience.  Good luck
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Ranier is right, these things get REAL costly!  I'm in with about $750 without the scope.  Just make sure you are going to enjoy whatever you get, just realize that your custom gun is YOUR custom gun, don't look at it as an investment, because you'll end up dissappointed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I agree with MinMan.  I went with relatively inexpensive bbls and stocks, since I was building two at one time.  My wife loves hers, but if I was going to tune mine again, I would have went with a heavier bbl and Fajen stock.

There is no point trying to outdo the "other guy", since you're the one who will be shooting it.  If the owner of the weapon is happy, that is all that matters.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#22]
cost of custom 10/22's can get out of hand. I have $2200 in my silhouette rifle, and almost $1200 in my squirrel gun. Most call me crazy for putting that much in a 22, but to me it's fun.  The nice thing about the Rugers is that you can do as much or as little as your wallet allows, and it's still fun to shoot. I'm looking to build a fourth with a 21 inch featherweight Clark Custom barrel set up in a fajen standard thumbhole, make it alittle more practical for hunting.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's a list of sites where I get parts and other stuff, hope it helps

PARTS
www.volquartsen.com

www.powercustom.com

STOCKS
www.fajen.com

www.reamerrentals.com/elk_ridge.htm

Where to buy
www.brownells.com

www.midwayusa.com

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Droft those are some pretty impressive 22's

When you buy a Fajen where do you guys recommend getting them? Also, are the stocks at midwayusa.com already finished or do you have to finish them?

Thanks alot.

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#25]
My walnut thumbhole I bought directly from fajen just before they went to laminate stocks only.  I bought the other two from Midway, you can get them either finished or unfinished.  I think there's 30 dollars difference.  I bought them both ways, their finish sucks, they put a couple coats of clear on it to seal it, I prefer to do it myself. Elk Ridge makes some nice thumbholes in either laminate or solid and aren't much more.  I think they start at 189 semi finished. They aren't really drop in, they still need some fitting.  You can get them finished but not sure of the price. I do all my own stock work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#26]
1 more question. would it be worth it to buy a volquartsen TG2000 or is it cheaper/better just to get the upgrade kit that has a new hammer, trigger, sear, etc...

thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:57:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I am just starting to build mine,
  Found a great deal on a used (but new :-) Houge overmold, and a Simmons WTC 4.5-14 scope with PowerCustom mount, and Leupold Rings. Funny thing is, I don't even have the 10/22 yet. What do you guys recomend for a bbl? I would to stay around the 100+- mark. If I am not happy with the groups, I am going to send it to CPC for a "tune up"

Any suggestions apprecieated.

-Jared

P.S. Anyone wanna buy a new take off wood stock, bbl, and trigger assembly for a 10/22? Never fired.

-Jared
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top