Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2002 3:22:57 PM EDT
Hey guys. I just bought my first AR15 and I've heard different things about cleaning it.  Some of the people I've spoken to say to clean it after every trip to the range and others say after a few hundred rounds. Can someone clear things up.
thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
after every round.

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Both responses are probably correct.  Much depends on where and how long it will be stored between firings.  If it will be stored in a place where the temperature fluctuates (a car) it should be cleaned after each session at the range.  If it will be kept indoors and fired frequently, cleaning after 2 to 3 hundred rounds would most likely be okay.  I personally like to clean after each session on the range.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#3]
ideally some basic cleaning like a bore snake and some CLP after each range session is nominal for essential funciton but there are so many variables to consider.  Type of ammo, amount of rounds fired, weather, environment at range(ie. dusty etc.), malfunctions and any sign of less than normal operation which may be related to hygiene or not.  Barring any poor performance at the range a complete cleaning after every few hundred rounds is definitly a good ritual to follow.  Some people are fanatical about breaking the entire rifle down after every trip no matter how many rounds fired but a lot of that is personal preference and based on habits developed in the service and not necessarily needed.  For my .02 you can't clean too much but you definitely can  over lube.  Hope this helps.  You'll be surprised at the different responses you get to this question.  Good luck

Tim
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the advice guys.  it looks like I'll stick to the "better be safe than sorry" idea and start cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
An excellent idea.  That rifle cost you a nice chunk of change, I'm sure.  I for one am not inclined to risk corrosion damage to a rifle that represents a substantial investment, and I want it to be clean and functioning reliably at all times, because you never know when you might need it...NOW...at three in the morning when you hear one of your windows getting broken out.

If you're new to AR's, you definitely want to get some training on the cleaning requirements. There are things about AR's that are not familiar to those who haven't cleaned guns of this type before.   Like how to remove the firing pin, and remove the bolt from the carrier, and where the carbon builds up.  
If you don't know it, you have to learn it.

I think that info is available here at AR15.com.

I clean my AR's after every shooting session, no matter how many shots I fired.   Usually that'll be several hundred, so a pretty thorough cleaning is necessary.

The hardest part of all is cleaning the barrel extension behind the lugs.  

CJ

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think that info is available here at AR15.com.

CJ

www.ar15.com/articles/article.html?article=49

I wouldn't suggest trying to remove the hand guards each time you clean, unless you've dropped your weapon in the dirt.  Best of luck.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:41:42 AM EDT
[#7]
99Fat-Rudy,
Don't over do it with the cleaning. You really will be do more harm than good by cleaning it all the time if you are the type to shoot 200 rounds a trip to the range every other weekend and the rifle lives in a safe 90% percent of the time. Using good quality ammo of recent make (non corrosive) I wouldn't clean it but every 500-700 rounds unless like some other have already said if function starts to get hit or miss. You can wipe down the outside of sweat and dirt but complete take downs every two weeks will have things getting buggered up more than it should. Of course do what you feel is right with all the avail info. Just wanted to give a diff perspective.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again guys.  I appreciate the different perspectives and advice.  I thought cleaning the AR would be a task compared to my AK, but it turned out easier than I thought.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top