Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2002 9:25:54 AM EDT
Hey all, I was wondering what everyone thought was the best thing to put on the muzzle of a postban 20" AR ??   A A2 look-a-like fake brake (Kurts,wilson,cavcomp etc)  A slip over fake hider (like on the 2001 LEGP) or just leave it a bare muzzle.
Also, does anyone have any pics of their 20" AR's with one of these installed ??
Thanks
SPECTRE
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Fake brakes are much better than plain crowns in my opinion. First, I have had an AR land on the concrete once and if it did not have a muzzle brake the crown would have been so screwed. Second, they just look 10x better than plain barrels. I have one A3 brake by KKF on my M4 type and like it alot. I also have a Wilson 3 slot type from GSE on a A2 20" and like it lot's too. Both perform the same keeping muzzle rise to a minimum.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Fake brakes are much better than plain crowns in my opinion. First, I have had an AR land on the concrete once and if it did not have a muzzle brake the crown would have been so screwed. Second, they just look 10x better than plain barrels. I have one A3 brake by KKF on my M4 type and like it alot. I also have a Wilson 3 slot type from GSE on a A2 20" and like it lot's too. Both perform the same keeping muzzle rise to a minimum.

To each his own, but if it aint there for function, it doesn't belong there at all.  Barrel harmonics can be changed for a degradation in accuracy as well as making it difficult to properly clean the barrel.  IF ANYTHING, look for a functional muzzle brake.  Nothing is worse than a poser!
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Put a fake brake on the one you own, and then buy another one with a simple crown.  When your wife asks you about the $800 missing entry in the checkbook, tell her you're doing "research".
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#4]
There are real reasons for using these brakes. They are only called fake because they also try to look like milspec A2 compensator.

Let's recap for the one's that can't keep up.
1. controls muzzle flip
2. protects the crown
3. looks good
Also, the two AR's I mentioned shoot 1/2"-1" no problem at all and I can scan the targets to prove it.

To each their own but one should know what your talking about first.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input, anyone have pics of a 20" with a A2 brake on it ?? I have seen several pics, but they only show the brake. I was wondering how they looked overall due to their increased diameter.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Put a fake brake on the one you own, and then buy another one with a simple crown.  When your wife asks you about the $800 missing entry in the checkbook, tell her you're doing "research".

Then its not a fake brake! You're talking about a real muzzle brake, I was talking about the "birdcage designed" FAKE BRAKE which has no porting, so it is actually just a muzzle weight with no function.  Shit, I won't even teflon my barrels out of fear of disruption of barrel harmonics.  Serious bench shooters know what I'm talking about.  You won't see it in the 1/2-1" scenario, it plays a larger factor when you are aiming for one shot groups.

I would like to get a muzzle brake for my 16" Bull DPMS (.930), does anyone know a manufacturer that makes one for it?
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input, anyone have pics of a 20" with a A2 brake on it ?? I have seen several pics, but they only show the brake. I was wondering how they looked overall due to their increased diameter.

I have this setup, but no digital camera so I can't show you a pic.  It doesn't really change the appearance any, we're only talking about a coupple of mm difference in size.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Going through the same dilema, Spectre.  I bought a Bushy 20" uppwr with an AK brake on it and in makes the overall length of the rifle 40.25 inches.  Just a little big for a 40 inch discreet case (obviously).  I was thinking of sending it off to Kurts Kustoms for either his A2 Brake or Fake Flash Supressor.  either that or look for a 40+ case.  I sent him an M4 upper with a full 16" barrel and a mini Y comp tacked on to that.  It just looked too long.  I decided on having a FFS telescoped over the end (ala LEPG M4).  My reasoning was to keep the full 16 inches, but now I'm having second thoughts about not havin a brake.  I started doing some CBQ/Entry stuff and my origional AR (AK shorty now with an LE Entry stock) is perfect for the job.  Next time I'm going to try it with my M4gery and see how the lack of having a brake is.  I don't think a 20 inch HBar would really need a brake, but that's a descision I'll have to make down the line.

In eather case, have it tacked on to the end and not telescoped, unless you want the Dissapator look.  Having it tacked on to the 20" barrel will still be under 40 inches and have the look of a preban 20" with a Flash Supressor.  Just check out the Bushmaster catalog under Law Enforcement models to get an idea of what it will look like.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
What is a LEPG slip on brake and where can I get one?  Are they any good?
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What is a LEPG slip on brake and where can I get one?  Are they any good?

The LEPG rifle is a series of rifle for the folks of AR15.com availible for a group purchase.  The 2001 LEPG was an M4 styled carbine by Rock River Arms.  It was a 16 inch barrel with a fake flash supressor telescoped over the end of the barrel, giving it the "short" 14.5 M4 barrel look but in a 16 inch barrel.  Kurt Kustom will do a similar job.  Pete_from_NH has RRA barrels like the ones use for sale in the Equiptment exchange.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Wilson,Cav or EGW.
Whichever is cheaper in your area.
cpermd
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:02:07 AM EDT
[#13]
cpermd is correct.  I selected the EGW brake.  Here is a link to their site should you wish to do the same.  George is a good guy and I look forward to getting my 20" upper back with it's new brake attached
www.egw-guns.com/egw.htm

Regards,
Gary
ps...he also has a letter from BATF that this is a brake not a grenade launching platform nor flash suppresor for those who care about that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:13:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey all, I was wondering what everyone thought was the best thing to put on the muzzle of a postban 20" AR ??   A A2 look-a-like fake brake (Kurts,wilson,cavcomp etc)  A slip over fake hider (like on the 2001 LEGP) or just leave it a bare muzzle.
Also, does anyone have any pics of their 20" AR's with one of these installed ??
Thanks
SPECTRE

Form shall follow function....

My .02:

If accuracy is what you seek then leave it crowned.  I’m no guru but my understanding is that a comp/ brake can create a vortex that can disrupt the bullet as it exits, decreasing accuracy.

If follow up shots are your goal then add a good functional comp. I've had good luck with the Cav comp on post bans. Looks fine and functions reasonably well as a compensator.

Personally I avoid the slip on stuff. Looks cheap.  

Good luck!  
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:40:15 AM EDT
[#15]
how about a fake silencer. I'm looking to purchase on as this pic i found online. So far Kurt seems to be the best option. Any body have any other ideas.....

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Post-ban? A Bushmaster AK brake or their Y-comp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top