Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2002 8:34:10 PM EDT
I have noticed that in most of the pics, most have their AR's with a sling on.  I usually do not have a sling on mine, being somewhat of a rookie should I sling with the rest of you?
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The only time I take it off is to separate the receivers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Just put the new GG&G single point sling point with wilderness sling.  Works AWESOME.  A great setup for the left-handed shooter, the sling does not get in the way of the ejection port, or working parts of the weapon.  Try that with some of the tac slings.  (left-handed)  

And using it ambidexterous works great too.  Check it out at the Wilderness...
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 5:03:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The only time I take it off is to separate the receivers.

Yep.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I just wonder how many can actually use a sling to help them shoot!  I know I have seen guys with a Turner sling mounted every which way but right!  

As for the question, I have slings on all my rifles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a black tactical sing for my M4.  It is very handy while hunting. (It takes a load off during the long hike/stalks) If I had to do it over, I would get one with the quick detach so that it could be separated when cleaning the rifle.  I find the over the back sling is useful for hiking, but my heels ocasionally hit the muzzle.

Take care,
White Horse
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#7]
A sling helps you shoot more accurately when sitting, kneeling, or standing. I have one on all my rifles all the time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The sling is a valuable marksmanship tool.  In regards to AR's I have learned to love the "hasty sling" as taught by the Army of old.

In regards to match rifles, I have learned to appreciate the art of true sling-craft.

As a former 11B, I have learned to appreciate the fact that a sling will always keep my weapon only an arms reach away.

Sure, I keep slings on my weapons.  Even my Winchester 94 is outfitted with a sling (It's hard to drag a deer and a rifle!)

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]
IMHO get yourself an issue type sling for you AR.  This will either be black canvas or green nylon and the sling keepers may or may not be coated.  This is the style the millitary uses and for good reason.  They rattle a bit at the buttstock but they detach and adjust quickly.  The make a fine loop sling for any situation besides a high level match were a 1907 style is more appropriate.  Stay away from sporting style slings for other weapons.  The dont adjust or detach quickly, and many dont hold a loop well.  You may try some of the tactical slings like the Ching.  Some people really like them for weapons transition and such but I tend to think they are more gizmos for swat teams to waste money on.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have slings for all my rifles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Some times but not all...
I take it off patrolling so I don't get lazy

Those 'tactical' slings can be a total PITA or worse they can easily get hung up on you and if you get in close contact can even be used against you.

I don't sling up in matches... but we Canadians can rest our mag on the ground as a third point of contact with the ground :)
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Some times but not all...
I take it off patrolling so I don't get lazy

Almost exactly what I was going to say. The best place for your weapon is in your hands, ready, but for stuff that requires you to use both hands (unloading chow, for example ), a sling is damn helpful. Every rifle I own has an OD nylon Garand-type sling on it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#13]
A sling for the primary is as sensible as a holster for the 2ndary. And, "hands-free" mode is also a necessary 3rd option. Tossing it to the ground is a non-option, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#14]
If it is a rifle in my house, it has a sling on it. Can't say that is true for others I know. All but my over and under 12 shotguns have slings as well. I've thought of cutting the Browning Citori down to 18" and saying to heck with trap!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#15]
 Even my shotguns have slings.  The only tac sling is on the CAR, the others have conventional slings.  And yes the old 'hasty' sling is as stable as I need to fire from the prone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Not a swinger, but me and my girl hookup with other chicks.  Here's her last girlfriend.

OH!  You said SLINGER!  Well atleast I made this post interesting!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't have enough $$$ to have slings on all my rifles.  I have a few on a couple.  I don't think a sling fits on an AR-50.  Besides, I don't think I could lift it on a sling.

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just wonder how many can actually use a sling to help them shoot! I know I have seen guys with a Turner sling mounted every which way but right!

What do you mean by "right"? I know of at least 4 ways to use the model 1907 leather sling, and I have seen all four methods used by some VERY GOOD M16/AR15 SHOOTERS at places like Ft. Benning or Camp Perry, and shoot high master scores.

(1)Standard GI use of the 1907 leather sling is here : www.fultonarmory.com/slinguse.htm. Very few shooters use this config.

(2)The second method, and by far the most common, is the same as the above only flipped over, with the "frogs" facing the rifle instead of away.

(3)The third, and second most popular method, is to put both "keepers" below the long strap frog, frogs facing away from the rifle as in method 2. On the cover of Zediker's book is a pic of this sling config. I prefer this method, as it is easy to remove or relace the sling on the rifle without unthreading a keeper, and it seems to stay on my arm tighter and slip less.

(4) The fourth method is called the no-pulse configuration and is also used by some highpower service rifle shooters. This method allows the sling to be put on the arm before going to the line, and MAY reduce the pulse effect of a tight sling. I tried it - didn't like it. Top Owens sells a video of how to use this config, but you might figure it out yourself as I did.

There is no RIGHT way to put on a model 1907 leather sling (Turner). Whatever works for you is right!

Don't laugh at the guys who don't know how to use them - help them out, OK?
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a sling on my AR, that is unfortunately too short to properly use as a shooting aid. On rifles I usually use a nice padded neoprene carrying strap since most of the time I have on a bipod or will be shooting from a rest.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not a swinger, but me and my girl hookup with other chicks.  Here's her last girlfriend.

OH!  You said SLINGER!  Well atleast I made this post interesting!

No one likes a showoff.  Except in this case.  How about showing some more of that at "The Lodge" over at AK!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#21]
magnumm 99 how about showing a url to the ak forum. i dumped all my 15and47 bookmarks when we went down to a crawl...  thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
magnumm 99 how about showing a url to the ak forum. i dumped all my 15and47 bookmarks when we went down to a crawl...  thanks

I wish I could.  I used to just navigate there from the AR15 page but since the hosting change I can't get there.  What's up Goatboy?  Where's the AK47 page?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just wonder how many can actually use a sling to help them shoot! I know I have seen guys with a Turner sling mounted every which way but right!

What do you mean by "right"? I know of at least 4 ways to use the model 1907 leather sling, and I have seen all four methods used by some VERY GOOD M16/AR15 SHOOTERS at places like Ft. Benning or Camp Perry, and shoot high master scores.

<<snip>>

There is no RIGHT way to put on a model 1907 leather sling (Turner). Whatever works for you is right!

Don't laugh at the guys who don't know how to use them - help them out, OK?

No Contest!  I try to do my best to share what I have learned over the years and I welcome anybody that would really like to shoot better to join your local DCM/CMP program!  

www.odcmp.com/

All I meant to say is that I have seen a number of guys with Turner slings on a rifle where they are improperly mounted and/or the owners just don't know how to use them.  A sling is an excellent accuracy addition once you learn how to use it!  I meant nothing more and nothing less!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Of course I use slings on all of my rifles.  Why wouldn't you?  To the guy who doesn't want one because he always has his hands on the rifle, good for you.  However, you can shoot better with a sling even if you don't carry your rifle with it.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Next time you are at the range take a sling. Use it and don't use it. Your shooting will improve with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top