Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2002 5:42:13 PM EDT
The issue of ammo caching and the effects of age have crossed my mind. In discussing the the viability of milsurp ammo as a long term option I have to ask if age has an effect on velocity.

I mean, it is generally conceded that older sorts of corrosive type ammos are different than modern ammos, and as such keep indefinitely if properly stored.

However...when trying to get answers as to the modern ammos of the last 40 years or so, I've found differing views. some say "No Problem" others claim a loss of velocity over time.

Has anyone chronoed various lots of older rounds to document the effects one way or another? I mean, I believe that the Hitach website has a test where 7.62x39 ammo was tested over the span of lots manufactured in differing years. Their data indicates a velocity loss, but it must be remembered that they are in the biz of selling ammo, and as such might not be too objective.

Can anyone offer insight?

Also, what is the velocity of Nato .308 as compared to commercial .308?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Do yoy have assess to a Chrono? If so, Just buy some mixed headstamp ammo and test it yourself.
I have to believe that ammo, if properly stored cal last longet than you or I can, withous substancial detriment to velocity.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top