Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2002 10:29:55 AM EDT
I'm relocating to the Reading PA area shortly, and I'd like to find a new gun club or even a public rifle range.  Does anyone have any recommendations for Southeastern PA shooting ranges?  I'm mainly looking for:

1.  Minimum 200 yard rifle range. (required)
2.  CMP-affiliated. (highly preferred)
3.  No "only-one-round-in-a-rifle" rules. (required, because I only own semi-autos.  I don't just blast away like mad, but these rules cramp the style of everyone except the guys sighting in for deer season.)
4.  Near Reading or Lansdale, or somewhere in between.

Anybody know of, belong to, or shot at University Rifle Club in Reading?  This might be my best lead so far (CMP, 300yd range), but I have no information other than what I found on the web.  

Thanks for any help you all can give.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#1]
go to http://communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/tipstricks.msnw.  Click on Where to shoot and check out Atglen Sportsmans Club in PA.
This is in the Downingtown area and is close to Reading.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My geography is lacking when it comes to PA, so this range may not be in the area requested. However, if you are near the Stroudsburg area, check out Sunset Hill Range. Use the range locator at the top of this page for details and a web site. Maybee I will see you there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Sunset Hill would be about a hour and a half ride. Lucky for me it is only 20 min away.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#4]
chrishag: Next time I go there perhaps we could get together at Sunset Hill. I am going to get in touch with Art(dragracerart) as well, we are loosely planning to meet there when I am back in PA. I don't know for sure when because of my court case, but likely around a month from today I will be there for a few days. I will be in touch.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
There is the "Water & Wings", formerly Twin-S, range in East Greenville.  The "shotgun snobs" have taken over and the range is now a shadow of it's former glory but still respectable.  It has rifle benches with overhead cover and berms at 100m-500m.  There is also a 0m-50m pistol range.  The "old" website is still up at http://www.shootingsports.com/twins.  Other than the locations I don't know how much is still accurate.  I know Walt Rauch is there occaisionally and local military and LE types can be found there on the weekends using their personal weapons.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#6]
A favorite place of mine when I go home to visit the parents is up above St.Clair (61 north, 3 miles north of Pottsville).  Hit the 2nd light past the fairlane village mall (on left hand side) , hang a right, go through town (1 light) and travel aprox. 4 miles.  Your on the "burma road" (going towards Mahanoy city).  Area is old strip mining, look on the right hand side (it is easy to go past it), but there's a great "informal" range with steel plates and other assorted "goodies".  Max distance is aprox 170yrds up on hill, but you can shoot "anything" you want.  People are always friendly and very informal, but courteous.  If you're into mountain biking or motorcross, the area is awsome for single track (of course away from the "range").
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:10:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Last time I was at the Twin S a local LE rolls up responding to get this...."the sound of gun fire in the area" I kid you not!!!  Apparantly someone thought they heard full auto fire.  Every shooting position was filled and the random shots sounded to someone apparently as sustained full auto fire.  I just shook my head and laughed.  The LE seemed decent enough and perhaps felt silly having to be there in the first place.    

Oh well....

Gary
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#8]
oneshot let me know I'll be there. Maybe I'll be able to see that infamous ar-15 with its lovely stickers
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:37:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I think there is a range somewhere in New Holland, PA.  It is a little southwest of Reading.  If I recall correctly, they hold High Power matches there.  I'm not 100% sure, but you might want to check into it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top