Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2002 9:27:56 AM EDT
i purchased a simmons 4.5-14 -40 whitetail classic, mounted it on my bushy last week and took it out this morning to shoot it in. started @ 25 yds it was high and right moved 8 clicks each way this barely moved point of impact finally got it close moved to 50 and 100 yds till i got to 100 adjustments are tight it says 1/4@100yds but seems like i moved alot more clicks than should have to. any body have experience with this or any ideas? still not 100%right, by the way its on the same mount i used before only change was new scope,rings and i added an accuwedge buffer
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Every Simmons scope I have ever seen takes more clicks to move than it should. Also sometimes it doesn't move when you turn the dial but after the vibration of shooting it decides to move. To solve this problem I carry a small wood dowel with me when sighting in. After each adjustment I tap the scope lightly with the dowel to make sure it didn't get stuck. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info 03 ,i noticed that with other scopes. my concern with this is i moved the adjusters so much they are real tight i am afraid to turn them anymore, i never had that happen even with cheapo scopes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You might try taking everything apart and re-mounting. Something might be out of line or in a bind.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Definately something is out of line if you are maxed out on the adjustments.  I definately think you should make sure nothing is loose first.  Second, you should take the scope out of the rings and place very thin sheet metal shim in the bottom rear ring on the left side.  That will give you more room for adjustments, but I'd also contact Simmons and tell them about your problem, it sounds like a shitty scope to me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#5]
bdawg;  What type of mount/rings are you using?.. are you mounting to an A3 or carry handle?  I have several Simmons scopes and have never experienced the problems you described.  If your mounting system uses separate rings (not integral as Armalite, ASA, etc..), it could be the rings are not aligned properly.  For these applications, I use a piece of 1" solid Aluminum round stock to simulate scope when first installing.  A wooden dowel will also work.  Install this device as you would a scope, tighten rings, remove, and install scope.  Also, ensure that care is taken to tighten all screws in alternating sequence, little by little.  It doesn't take much to bind the scope.  Take 03's advice and do a "total" reinstall.. if problem persists, contact Simmons.  I have never heard any negative about their warranty or customer service.  Good Luck!  Bravo5-2
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]
i contacted cdnn today told them what was happening they said send it back and we will give you a new one,trade it for different one or give money back. i am shipping it out tomorrow and told them to send me new one. i am using a tapco mount in the carry handle, not sure what brand rings but i know they are std ht. i am definately going to use Bravo5-2 advice about the wooden dowel to align the rings. i gotta admit i learn alot from this site  
thanks for the input  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top