Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2002 10:35:19 PM EDT
I'm typing a paper when I hear dogs going vrazy in the back yard.  I lok out the back door and there is a someone with a flashligh walking around in my yard.  I watch for a while and I think he is gone.  Then I see the light again and my shed door open.  I'm thinking Ar or pistol.  Just kiding, I'm freaking out.  I grab my cell phone and my my pistol and walk aroung the front and sneak up to the back of my shed.
I peak around the corner and see a bright badge.
It was a cop looking for some kids that were in a small park behind my house. It was a close call.  If he would of saw me first I think he would of shot me walking at him gun drawn.  I've always thought that I this ever happened that I wouldn't be scared. I was shaking bad when I turnd the corner. Anyway turns out we knew each other from the range.  THis was a goods test to see how your nerves would be if someone was breaking into your house or something. I think next time unless he is getting away with my reloader or something I'll just call the police to avoid conflicts like this.  What would you have done?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I once heard a noise outside, so out I went, pistol and flashlight ready. When I left, I accidently left the door slightly ajar. Well, my neighbor also hears the noise, comes out, and sees my door open. So he gets his gun, and proceeds to check out my house to see if I'm OK. As I come around the front of the house, he is exiting my front door, having "cleared" the house. We looked at each other at the same time, and luckily instantly recognized each other. After telling each other how glad we were that the other wasn't trigger-happy, we had a pretty good laugh over that. Never did find out what or who made the noise, though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah- the really sad part is that you are right- If he had seen you first, gun in hand, you may have been cold and in the ground by now.  What gave the right to this officer to trespass and enter your shed without permission???  Hot pursuit?  I would hope HE might have learned a lesson to announce his presence to a lawful homeowner before trespassing after spotting you with gun in hand.  Hope he had to clean his drawers, too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:27:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I would like to say I would have grabbed my shotgun and charged out there like a commando hunting down an adversary.
But in all honestly I would have been shaking like a junkie in need of a fix. I most likely would have called the police and when I can hear the sirens I would venture out with one of my pistols holstered. The only time I would have gun in hand is if someone was entering my house and their isn't time to call for help. Property theft isn't worth dieing for, but life-threatening situations are.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Once I established that soneone was in the shed and that I was in a area protected from line-of-sight gunfire (from the intruder) I would have clearly and loudly identified myself by stateing that I was armed and that the intruder was trespassing on my property and promptly added that the intruder also identify themselfs.

I always have rubber projectile LLL 12ga rounds as the first round in my tact shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Once I established that soneone was in the shed and that I was in a area protected from line-of-sight gunfire (from the intruder) I would have clearly and loudly identified myself by stateing that I was armed and that the intruder was trespassing on my property and promptly added that the intruder also identify themselfs.

You forgot to add....All the while laying down short bursts of suppression fire.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Good question.  I would have immediately identified myself (before there is a chance to get my ass shot by a cop), warn that I am armed, and tell the intruder to identify himself.  In that order - I think.  I never thought about it, but knowing what you would say ahead of time is a good idea.  

Anyone out there know the BEST way to handle a verbal exchange in this situation?  Keeping in mind that the intruder might be a jumpy officer that could shoot you...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top