Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2002 12:49:59 PM EDT
Who makes the best pistol grip stock for a 870 and where is the best place to get them? Do you think the pistol grip is the best way to go on a defensive shotgun?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#1]
CHOATE makes the best pistol grip shotgun stocks, try bushmaster or go to the CHOATE website. The pistol grip'd shotgun is an excellant self defense weapon for home defense but a foldong stock would be a better option because you have the choice of using the pistol grip for indoors or the full stock for outdoors.
CHOATE makes a excellant version of each for the 870 and while you are at it get a side saddle (made by tac star, go to the cheaper than dirt website for these) for easy access to spare ammo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Benelli. But you gotta buy a shotgun to go with them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#3]
personally, i dont care for the choate stock. i like the SPEEDFEED (w/o the extra shell holder) its about the same price. for best deal go to

www.arizonagunrunners.com
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll make the assumption that you are talking about full stocks with a pistol grip.

both the Choate and Speedfeed stocks seem to work well and are sturdy enough to take the ruff handling of prolonged service.

both companies offer models that allow you to store extra ammo in the stock. in this the speedfeed is probably the better bet. while choate has the advantage of being virtualy indestuctible.

While I have used the Tac star side saddle in the past, on a 20" Mossberg 590 w/ ghost rings
and liked it on the heavier gun.

I have taken the minimilist approach with my 18" 870. When I think of the 870, I think, Light, fast, hit hard, and just cannot bring myself to hang something on the side that throws of the balance of the weapon and thus detracts from its wonderful, quick, point and shoot capabilities.

I will leave you now with this final thought...

The guy carrying the riot gun, is the same guy that would have been carrying a battle axe, had he been born in the tenth century. The mindset is the same.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the thoughts!
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Choate FAL style pistol grip stock on my 870 and really like it. Only thing is you have to really re-position your hand to click on the safety. No problem offing it though, real fast.

But that is something all these type of stocks will do.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Well it seems as if everybody is split about
50/50. I am still confused. I have held the speedfeed stock and it is nice but I thought the pistol grip was kind of square and not very AR like. I have never held the Choate stock but in pictures the grip lookes more elongated.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 5:23:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The grip on the Choate stock is very similar to the grip of a 1911 pistol.

It could benefit from having a palm swell (personal preference), but as is, it fills my hand pretty good.

While you have to un-screw the buttpad to access it, the buttstock also has storage space. I don't keep anything in mine though.

Cheapest place I found for the Choate was www.deltaforce.com I know most of their stuff is WAY overpriced (check out the mag prices...), but in this case, it's a good price. And shipping is only like $4.50.

Link edit...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top