Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2002 9:41:41 AM EDT
I was hanging out with a military friend of mine, Captain Morgan, and I started thinking about flash suppressors. Since the main feature of one is the open front vs closed front of muzzle brake, what if you put on a 7.62 or larger brake on the AR? It is still a brake but now it has a larger front opening.

Or am I missing any internal differences between the two?
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
So what's to keep you from mounting a brake made for 7.62x39 on a rifle chambered for 5.56 NATO?  Nothing I know of.  And as long as there's a BATF letter approving the brake you SHOULD be legal.

Arock
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]

The BATF holds the view that any device that functions as a flash suppressor is a flash suppressor, regardless of its design and intended use.     It doesn't matter if it's a compensator, muzzle brake, or flash suppressor by name, but it does matter if it behaves as a flash suppressor.  

Open front or closed front (except for a hole for the bullet to pass through) doesn't matter to the ATF.  You simply choose the brake that performs in a way that you like.    Personally,
I'm not a fan of most brakes due to the significant increase in noise they create, particularly to the sides where your neighboring shooters are trying to shoot.

Incidentally, the BATF's position on silencers is essentially the same.  If it behaves as a silencer, it's a silencer, even if it's a potato stuck on the muzzle, though in that case the evidence with either rot or sprout roots before the trial date comes.

CJ

Link Posted: 2/21/2002 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
cmj...I think what JBear is getting at is the MAIN physical difference between an A2 birdcage flash suppressor and say a Wilson muzzle brake is the size of the front exit hole.  There doesn't appear to me to be a restriction on the size of the exit hole on a muzzle brake as long as its a legal brake.  With that in mind, what's to prevent using a 7.62mm or even a .458 SOCOM muzzle brake on a 5.56 NATO barrel?  If the muzzle brake is BATF approved (and at least designs two are) it looks like he should be able to use any brake on any barrel as long as it's still a brake.  What say?
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 5:31:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was hanging out with a  friend of mine, Captain Morgan,

I used to hang around with him too before I quit drinking...

Oh wait, you aren't talking about alchohol...nevermind
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#5]
This "brake" idea is kinda interesting... anybody tried it yet??
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This "brake" idea is kinda interesting... anybody tried it yet??

Yeah, I find that a mason's hammer works best.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
do you use the hammering face or the chiseling face...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top