Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2002 6:28:31 PM EDT
Well, I was going through my AR mags the other day and I found something shocking.  

Three USA brand AR15 mags.  30-rounders.

I feel such shame.

I honestly do not remember when I got these things and they are new in the bags.  What can be done with them to make them at least servicable range mags or something?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If you forgot you had them then you probably don't recall if they work or not. I would say take them and try them to see if they function well enough for the range. If they do then just keep them for that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
For a long time now I have wondered exactly what is different about USA mags that makes them so crappy.  Can they be modified to work?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have what I believe might be a USA (I won't admit that they are, I never saw them in an USA package) 20 round mag. It works fine for me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Usually the springs in them are the biggest problem. I would suggest going to the mag forum and checking out the Mag FAQ if you haven't already done it. Basically they for the most part suck. You might find some exceptions but the odds are against you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Shadowblade,

The reason the USA mags are POS are the lips are made thinner and lack the rear support of a USGI mag.  After loading the mags a few times the feed lips begin to flex open.  After you have used it about 20 times, you can load the mag to the top, Then strike the bottom of the mag on a bench.  The mag will spray the loaded rounds in the air like a fountian.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Kurt of Kurt's Kustom may be interested in them. He does a modification to the Ceiner .22 mags for his .22 konversion kits to make them look like .223 30-rounders. I don't know if he uses USA mags but I'm pretty sure he does use some kind of steel mags for the konversion.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Medcop was also looking to buy USA Mags for some purpose.

edited to ad:  You should put USA Mag in the title to draw some attention to the fact that you have USA mags you may want to be rid of
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Shadowblade,

The reason the USA mags are POS are the lips are made thinner and lack the rear support of a USGI mag.  After loading the mags a few times the feed lips begin to flex open.  After you have used it about 20 times, you can load the mag to the top, Then strike the bottom of the mag on a bench.  The mag will spray the loaded rounds in the air like a fountian.

That would be Bad.
I have USA 20rd. mini-30 Mags cause there aint no others. I use 2 at the range loaded to 17rds. marked in orange and the rest are saved for "Special Occasions", I hope I never need them.

Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#9]
The part I love is when the mag gives up the ghost when it in the rifle.  On a Ar-15, you only get about three rounds in the upper before the rounds run out of room.  On a mini-14 you can get about four that fly before the bolt stops the flow.

But on a high note, the mag will let you know that it is about to go bad by only double feeding.  If you have to, you can reform the lips a few times, but after that, it better to just retire the mag.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 5:11:55 AM EDT
[#10]
There's nothing wrong with USA Mags...... They make GREAT bottle openers
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 5:25:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Out of about 150 total mags for all weapons I own, not 1 is USA. I've got 2 Mec Gar's(Ber92's), and 4 Eagles(10-22), everything else is factory or USGI. That's how strongly I feel about USA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top