Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2002 10:57:20 AM EDT
Need a rundown on these, with and without folding stocks. Are they all Pre-ban?? What are reasonable prices? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#1]
General price ranges I have seen:

$700 to $1000 (fixed stock at the low end).

Parts are difficult to find.

All (I believe) are pre-ban.

From the reports (I considered one myself once):
Somewhat Heavy
Shoots OK, moderate recoil
Definitely rates about 9.4 on the Cool scale.

However, that being said, I went with a Benelli M-3 instead.  Utterly reliable, parts are easy to find, recoil is definitly stiff (it's a relatively light recoil opperated gun), and about 8.4 on the Cool Scale (if I want to find a folding stock for about $700 I could move up to about 9.2 on the Cool Scale).  

A better gun for the money is the Benelli M1 or the same gun in a Beretta configuration, the 1201.  Pre-bans can be had for $800 for the Benelli, $650 for the Beretta (unfortunately, the Beretta has fewer aftermarket parts available).  

I would not mind getting a SPAS as part of a collection, but for real shotgun combat use, the Benelli(s), Beretta, or a good pump shotgun are a better choice.

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
OpenFire, I have a Franchi SPAS-12 w/folder in my collection. It is definitely cosmetically cool and makes a good conversation piece, but bulky at 10 pounds. I have mine because of the limited number out there.

SPAS-12s came from the factory in many different configurations:

1. Folding (+) and fixed stocks (-). Two styles of folders, one latches at pistol grip, other latches at rear sight. More valuable with carry hook included.

2. Push-button (+) and lever-type (-) safeties. The lever-type were recalled due to accidental discharges.

3. Forward (+) and rearward (-) front sights. Most people would prefer the forward one for a longer sight radius.

4. 8-shot (+) and 5-shot (-) magazine tubes.

Obviously one with all +'s is a higher dollar gun (mine has all +s). You can find a variety of different configurations, as these features are mixed and matched. The Franchi SPAS-12 was banned from importation in 1989, so what ones are here are it. They are still being made in Italy and shipped worldwide, just not here. Parts were scarce for awhile, but a company has just started importing them again. I haven't seen very many priced below $1000 for awhile now. Even the fixed-stock versions are priced above that on GunsAmerica at the current moment.

Check out the site below for more info:

spas12.com

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top