Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2002 9:17:26 AM EDT
I posted this on BerettaForums but only succeeded in starting a discussion that led nowhere.  I know THAT wont happen here!  What is the lowest power spring you would replace the factory #20 with?  I ordered a Wolff kit and find there is a great difference between the #16, #17 and #18.  I have the #16 in now but am a bit concerned.  I know the Elites and DAO's come with #18, but I prefer the #16 or #17.  Anyone been down this road before and have a suggestion or two??  It is a defense weapon, not a range gun.

Thanks

jim
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest that you first decide which load you wish to use for defense purposes, and, then take your Beretta and shoot it with that load for say 100 rounds. If the pistol cycles without any problems, then you know that the spring you currently have installed will work well. If it does not cycle with error, you need to substitute the next highest rate spring and repeat as necessary until you find the spring that will work with your pistol. I did the same as above with a Performance Center S&W 5906 and it ran fine with the spring I liked. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The current thinking is that reduced power springs and defensive handguns don't go togather.  That being said, I put one in a Taurus PT 101 and have never had a failure due to the hammer spring not having enough energy to ignite the primer, same thing with a Colt 1991A1 which I do carry quite a bit.  jarheadgunner's suggestion is a good one to follow, but I'd up the round count to at least 200rds with each spring to ensure reliability especially with a gun that you may have to rely on to save your A$$.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Gunnutt... I used to moderate the Beretta Forum... now you know why I don't anymore...

In a defensive weapon such as the 92 series, you MOST LIKELY won't have a problem using a #17 or perhaps even a #16 depending on primers, but absolutely run a few hundred rounds of your selected ammo before trusting the combo...

I've used some light springs in my 92 Elite and found #17 worked with everything but at #16 I'd start to see occasional light strikes using Federal 9BP's... remember, the Elite has a skeletonized hammer which may or may not have played a part in the light hits...

If it were me, and it was, I ended up using an #18 and the extra power Wolff Trigger Spring Conversion... absolutely reliable and a sweet trigger to boot.  All of my 92's are set-up this way.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  I've been using Winchester white box for practice and Cor-Bon's for the other.  I'll run it some more and see if I get problems.  200 rounds of Cor-Bon's is some serious ching!!  ....But then again, it is MY a$$ isn't it?  I can see it now.....on #199 it'll go "click"!  

Thanks again for the info.  I think I might start with the #17 instead.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Jim,

I suggest you contact Ernest at Langdon Tactical and ask him what he suggests.  You can also post this question to the Beretta list.  Ernest is a member there as well as many other people who know a great deal about Beretta pistols.  If there's an archive for the Beretta list you should search there because I know it has been discussed in the past.

As for those who say not to use reduced power springs (CIB), that all depends on how 'reduced' that spring is.  Beretta uses a lighter spring in their double action only pistols, but those pistols don't have any problems igniting primers so there should be no problem with changing the regular 92 hammer spring for the D model spring.  Going any lighter than that could cause problems if you are shooting ammo with hard primers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top