Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2002 9:03:47 AM EDT
I am so torn between these two rifles that I can’t decide which is better.  I haven’t handled either so I don’t know how the balance of these rifles feels.  Although I here good things about the balance of the M4 over the A2.  The A2 has a very classic look to it, and would probably feel better if you use the full sized stock when compared to the M4’s retraceable stock fully extended position.  Given that both rifles were configured pre-ban which of the two would be better?  This is probably more of a personal choice but I would like to know.

I would think that the M4 makes a better entry rifle for a building, while the A2 makes a better combat rifle for open areas.  So which of the two gets the award for the best multipurpose rifle?

One more thing, how would a 14.5" M4 fit into this as well?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#1]
where are you planning on making an "entry"?

if you don't like to, or plan to shoot beyond a couple hundred yards, the carbine would probably be best.

Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Markm,
yeah I was... it's just that I like the M4 and the A2 desighn and can only get one.  Thats my problem I'm still torn between them.  I won't be getting the upper for about for another week or more so I still have time to think it over
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#3]
your location could present a problem.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the same delima once upon a time, so I bought both.  My conclusions with them are as follows:

A2 20"-I like it, it is alittle heavier than the M4, but feel "sturdier".  I like the A2 stock and the little extra weight at the end of the barrel helps me shoot better offhand (balances better for me)

M4- I love the looks of it, but with a 16" barrel and phantom FH, it is only a little shorter than the 20".  I also find myself never collapsing the collapsable stock as I need it fully extended so the carry handle doesn't bop my nose when I shoot.  I also hate the fact the the collapsable stock wiggles a bit.  The fact that the sight radius is alot shorter and the carbine is lighter up front is nice when you are carrying it, but I can't shoot is as well as the 20"

I would probably just go with another 20" if I bought another one.  The 20" just seems to handle alittle better and feels better for me and I don't need another "cool" looking rifle that is just a couple of inches shorter.

edited to say:  Although I don't like the looks of the Dissipator, It looks like someone looking for a shorter rifle could get the best of both worlds
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#5]
how do you plan to buy this rifle in california?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd definately go with function over form if this is your first AR.  If you already have a longer upper, then thats when I'd go down to a 16", whether it be an M4 or a DPMS bull like mine.  I'd go with a flat top with the carry handle or just a flat top with a weaver mount on the gas block to add sights if you want em.  Definately too much hype over the M4 design, I'd take a bull 20" of any configuration any day of the week over the M4!  
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
how do you plan to buy this rifle in california?

Good point, I didn't see you were from CA
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Buying a FAB10 lower - the DOJ says I can put what ever I want on it and that it's excluded from our "Assault Weapons Ban"

buying that lower on Tuesday.

never shot a carbine - my friend has a SKS and I like how it feels as far as size goes.  I gust guessed that the .223 makes a better carbine round because of it’s size
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#9]

One more thing, how would a 14.5" M4 fit into this as well?

Are you allowed to have SBR's in cali?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]
big_guy, SbR's are no allowed in CA.  Although we can have 14.5 + 1.5" compensator or FS installed to make the minimum 16" requirements.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#11]
What is a FAB-10?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#12]
here ya go sir, www.gogogadgets.net
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#13]
A FAB10? I looked at it and it beats the purpose of the rifle. apperintly you are a for looks kindo of guy. why dont you just save up and buy an M1A with a detachable mag and a real FH? Or an SKS if your looking for function
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Ditto for Unrepentant_Sinner.  I have both rifles you are talking about, the 16" M4 and a pre-ban 20" A2.  The M4 is definitely a cool rifle, but I shoot better with the A2 for reasons mentioned by Unrepentant_Sinner.  I like the longer fixed stock for a variety of reasons.  It is a bit longer, doesn't wobble and the butt plate has a slight angle and is bigger than the standard collapsible stock.  If you do get a tele-stock, get the new version with the bigger butt plate area which is also angled to provide more stable shooting.  

Also, the A2s sight radius does help shooting for me, as the M4 front sight post is very close to the rear sight and not as precise.

In the army I shoot with the M4, and it is necessary to shorten the stock when shooting with PASGT body armor, in fact I had to shorten it to the second shortest position.  

If you can't decide, do what I did, get both.  You may be broke, but it is lots of fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top