Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2002 8:38:46 AM EDT
am I allowed to have my unloaded shotgun in my truck in the college parking lot? in California
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If I would have to guess I would say no.  I believe its illegal to have a gun on just about all college campuses.  In GA it is illegal but it all depends on the part of the state your in, or how country the people in the surrounding town are.  
Bill3508
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#2]
YES.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I assume that you are a student at this college.

If I were you I would just take it to class with me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know where I should keep my weapons , what would be the penalty for keeping a locked up shotgun in my truck.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Seriously, doesn't federal law prohibit firearms on school grounds?

i'm not sure if that applies to colleges too, but the very least you would be looking at is expulsion.  I can't imagine any educational institution without a "NO-Weapons" policy.

Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#6]
well is a parking lot really considered school campus I mean some of these lots are a mile off of school grounds.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a lawyer and i dont play one on TV BUT i am a college student. It is illegal to take any firearm on campus, even if it is CCW except LEO. The parking lot is considered campus. You are on campus as soon as you leave the street and step on their grass/sidewalk/whatever. I suggest making a weekend trip home and leaving your shotgun there OR if you cant, park off campus OR be REALLY GOOD and dont give the campus police reason to search your vehicle... like no speeding, drinking, bla bla bla.
Good Luck
Mike
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
well is a parking lot really considered school campus I mean some of these lots are a mile off of school grounds.

Yes, a parking lot is considered school, I wouldn't even go with that argument.  I am in law and will tell you that you have a recipe for disaster by leaving it in your trunk.  Leave it at home with your parents unless you like the prospect of being expelled.  

LEO's are not even allowed to carry their off duties on campus (my old Univ), so you are definately shit up a creek without a paddle IF somehow you were stupid enough to open up your mouth to your buddies and the campus police were to find it.

Play it safe, leave it at home.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I have always wondered that too, Here at Kansas State anyhow, you can drive around the Agriculture parking lots and see long guns hanging in the rear windows of pickups most of the year.  Not sure if it is legal here, but campus police must not enforce it
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

YES.  School grounds is any property owned/managed/maintained by the school.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#11]
while were on the subject am I allowed to carry a pocket knife in my truck?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I went to a state school in Pennsylvania where we could bring longuns on campus.  Students left their guns with campus police and could sign them out as they were needed.  During hunting season students often walked from the campus police station to their cars with visible rifles and shotguns.  This was only a few years ago and I am sure they still do this.  Most every person I met at school was an avid hunter and many brought and kept guns legally at school.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#13]
It is legal in California IF you have permission of the school administration.  I doubt thay will give permission though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#14]
It would not be permissible at my daughter's school here in Nazi Jersey (Doh!!), but I promise not to tell. If it were me, I'd keep it, sans ammo, in a case, in the trunk, under a blanket. Tell no one. But that's just me and I often do things that are in violation of stupid laws and regulations just to do them.
YMMV
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Here in FL, the statute allows an exemption to the "no guns on school property" law.  If kept inside of an automobile, the weapon is legal.  Of course, it also says that schools can restrict this.  That is only in FL, though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#16]
It is legal in Texas to have a firearm in the parking lot of an institute of higher education. It is illegal to have a firearm on school premises of which the parking lot is not a part of. See the acutal laws below.

PC §46.02.
Places Weapons Prohibited

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or edu cational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

(snip)

(c) In this section:

(1) "Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035.

Section 46.035

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

So basically I can take a weapon to college all the way up to the door and still be completely legal, including a concealed handgun.

This may not be the case in all states, but broad statements claiming that it is completely illegal are obviously wrong.

I have actually tested this law, on accident of course, and it came out in my favor after I whipped out the Texas Penal Code that was in my backpack. You must know the law to keep yourself out of trouble, because most police don't know them all and that I can attest to.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Federal offense...............
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#18]
While the quality of university law enforcment varies greatly, The answer is pretty much uniformly...NO.

University administrators and faculty are for the most part anti-gun, and have nightmares about any kind of gun related incident, that might decrease the enrolement bottom line.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I have to check my guns in and out with campus police. Call them up and ask.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I am a college student (again).  There are signs on the doors of each building posting that there are no firearms allowed.  I carry a knife or knives to school every day, if I had a CCW permit I would carry to class as well - assuming I was confident it would stay concealed and no one would notice.  I keep a loaded handgun in my car.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#21]
isnt everything illegal in California
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Federal offense...............

Really? I've posted the laws of the State of Texas. Do you have a cite or am I just supposed to take your word for it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#23]
My son, a Texan and an avid dove and quail hunter, is attending Florida State University.  He inquired and was told by Univ. authorities that he could bring his shotgun (1) and "check it in" where it would be kept under lock and key by campus security.  Whenever he desired to use it he had to "check it out" and would be accompanied by a uniformed campus security type to his vehicle to ensure that my son did not take any detours on his way to his vehicle.  He decided to not to bring his shotgun to college.  He was told that carrying any weapon, whether loaded or not, into campus property was against the law in Florida.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Do you go to University of Texas?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#26]
make friends with the police officer or security people that work for the college. the LEO assigned to my college(hes county) an i are friends, i have his permission to bring my guns on campus as long as they A. stay in the car, B. cannot be seen from the windows. c. dont talk about having them on campus in my car.

simple enough rules. havent taken them on campus yet. would if i went shooting friday after work. normally go saturday thou.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
My son, a Texan and an avid dove and quail hunter, is attending Florida State University.  He inquired and was told by Univ. authorities that he could bring his shotgun (1) and "check it in" where it would be kept under lock and key by campus security.  Whenever he desired to use it he had to "check it out" and would be accompanied by a uniformed campus security type to his vehicle to ensure that my son did not take any detours on his way to his vehicle.  He decided to not to bring his shotgun to college.  He was told that carrying any weapon, whether loaded or not, into campus property was against the law in Florida.

Same at UF.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I highly doubt it would be a federal offense as I could legally carry a concealed weapon to class with me at my school. (if i had my license)  You cannot keep one in your room if you live on campus (because since you have a contract it is not public) but they pretty much decided since it is a public building they cannot stop you from carrying in the classrooms/buildings.  And the state Atty Gen is trying to force the other universities in the state to adopt the same rules.  What a state!  Cali may be different---VERY DIFFERENT.  Check with your school, they should know.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Check your student handbook. With all the problems with guns and students, mostly high school, I'm sure the policy of your individual institution is in print somewhere. Common sense says, "Keep a low profile."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top