Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2002 8:26:48 AM EDT
My FFL has a Springfield M1 Garand serial #70059xx. This gun is in beautiful shape, fit and finish are outstanding. At the end of the barrel, behind the front sight assembly there is "NM" stamped into it? It also comes with two clips.

Can anyone tell me about this gun and what's its worth.

GIB
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, NM typically indicates a National Match barrel.  The problem, as I see it, is the receiver----you indicate that the sn is in the 7 million range---however, the last original USGI M1 Rifle Garand serial number I am aware of is/was around 6,095,xxx or so.  Others on the Forum might have more/additional insights or comments on this.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#2]
P. S. An original, absolutely mint condition, SA, USGI, Type 2 National Match rifle typically sells in the range of $2,500 to $3,500.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Agreed, the SN is out of the range of any USGI Garand--on the other hand, Springfield Armory is currently producing Garands for the collector market.  It's possible this is what you're looking at.

Here's SA's press release:

"GI's Best Friend" Now in Limited Production as Collectors Item from Springfield Armory
Nov 30th, 2001

(Geneseo, Ill.)- The M1 Garand stands alone as a classic American combat rifle,and it is now available in limited production from Springfield Armory. Only 10,000 of the vintage rifles are available, complete with special serial numbers and certificates of authenticity.

Built using the original USGI specifications and blueprints, the ultra accurate and reliable M1 Garand is available in .30-06 or .308 WIN, and features an all-new receiver, barrel and American walnut stock. All remaining parts are U.S.G.I. Mil-spec.

"This is the exact firearm that General George S. Patton called, 'the greatest battle implement ever devised,'" says Dennis Reese, Co-chairman of Springfield Armory. "It's a testament to its reliability, durability and performance over time."

The M1 Garand weighs 9.5 lbs with overall length of 43.6". It is a gas operated, semi-automatic firearm, with military sights front and rear. The rifle utilizes an eight-round clip.

Like all Springfield Armory firearms and optics, the M1 Garand is backed by an exclusive Lifetime Warranty.

Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:03:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is a note that I got from Walt Kuleck:

Hi, Marc,

You have an '80's cast clone Garand, receiver by Springield, Inc. of Geneseo, IL.  S, Inc. is better known for their M1As, cast clones of the M14 in semiauto configuration.  When the import restrictions (since reimposed by Clinton) were lifted in ''84 and Garands were repatriated by the tens of thousands, S, Inc. shut down their clone manufacturing.  With the current import restrictions S, Inc. is threatening to reenter the market with their clone.

BTW S, Inc. began serializing at 001, but the BATF intervened, saying that the real Springfield Armory had alread used those numbers back in the '30's.  Thus, S, Inc. began serializing at 7,000,000.  I have 7,003,737.  Without knowing the drawing number I cannot say whether the "NM" on the barrel indicates that it truly is a NM barrel.  Lock the op rod back and look at the drawing number.  The drawing number on the right side of the barrel should be 7791035; the mfr date should be in the '60's.

It's worth whatever you want to pay for it; it's worth at least the value of the parts plus perhaps $200.

Best regards,

Walt Kuleck
Fulton Armory Webmaster
www.fulton-armory.com -- Now!  On-line Ordering!!
*Everything* for the AR-15, M1 Garand, M14/M1A and M1 Carbine!
Author of "The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide"

GIB

Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
You didn't indicate what your dealer was asking for the gun, but I'm almost certain it's one of the new SA reproductions that were just recently manufactured.  Probably $800-$900?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You didn't indicate what your dealer was asking for the gun, but I'm almost certain it's one of the new SA reproductions that were just recently manufactured.  Probably $800-$900?

He's asking $899.00

GIB
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Hummm......... ya said two clips.  You mean the 8 round en-bloc (if I have my terms right)???

I paid 700ish for my Garand, but it was late WWII one, a reimport.... but I like it.  It all depends how much it's worth to you (funny reply).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top