Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2002 1:38:38 PM EDT
I just bought a choate pistol grip stock from Bushmaster for my M1 30 cal carbine. I got it in the mail yesterday and put it on. Everything fit perfectly and I'm very happy with it. It looks great with the metal heatshield.

Does anyone have one of these? I thought the M1 was a very light weight rifle in the original stock but I believe its even lighter with the synthetic stock. Plus I like the longer length of pull it gives to the short rifle.

I did have a synthetic stock that had a retractable wire stock on it but it made it heavy and the wire stock, when closed all the way was uncomfortable on your hand. It retracted all the way up to the pistol grip and became part of the grip.

I could use a few more mags for the rifle now. I have one 30 rd mag and two 15 rd mags. The two 15 rds feed great but the 30 rd jams sometimes. Its marked M2 on the back of the mag.

Does anyone know where I can get some good 30rd mags that will feed properly??
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You're pretty much on your own as far as 30's go--if there are any 30's around now they are after market and if they work they work and if they don't they don't....the problem i've found with 30's is if they don't fit well in the well (and most don't) the angle of feed changes based on recoil ect.....i was shooting with a buddy a while back and he was having jams almost every shot with 30's....i looked and noticed he was holding on to the mag during firing--when he quit touching the mags they started working...if i were you i'd buy some of the military contract 15's for SHTF or 30's for plinking.....Dick

Edited to correct spelling (too much Evan Williams)//////Dick
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought you could only have one forbidden feature or you'd be building an assault rifle.  If you already had a bayonet lug and add a pistol grip don't you have a violation?   I'm confused.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:38:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I thought you could only have one forbidden feature or you'd be building an assault rifle.  If you already had a bayonet lug and add a pistol grip don't you have a violation?   I'm confused.

Most M1 Carbines were made during WWII, long before the Klinton Krime Bill. That makes them very  "pre-ban"

There is an updated M2 carbine mag catch, it's marked with an underlined " M "  designed for the 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Carbines are pre-ban but aren't assault weapons because they have only one of the defined features.  When you add a second doesn't that get you into trouble?

This is so screwy I doubt they'd get after you unless they were really after you in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Pre-ban Status of a gun depends on when it was made AND the configuration of the gun at some point in time before the ban.

Pre-ban--made before Sept. 1994, has a pistol grip, detachable mag, and one or more of the following features:  Collapsable Stock, Bayo Lug, Flash Hider.  The way the law is written, this gun is "grandfathered"--i.e. all assault weapons are illegal with the exception of those existing in assault weapon form before Sept. 1994.

Post-ban--made after Sept. 1994, has a pistol grip and detachable mag, therefore it cannot have any of the other evil features.  If it is like an M-1A Springfield, it could have a flash hider but no pistol grip (or bayo lug).

***Post-ban--Made before Sept. 1994 but NOT IN ASSAULT WEAPON CONFIGURATION before that date.  If you bought a "factory" Bushmaster Varminter type gun (or V-match) with a pistol grip and detachable mag that was made in 1993 (hbar, no flash hider, bayo lug or collapsable stock), it would still be a POST-BAN gun, because it didn't have the evil features installed before the ban.

***Post-ban--Stripped "virgin" receivers made before Sept. 1994 that were never assembled into firearms.  The exception is that if you have all the parts, it is considered "assembled" by the ATF, even if you did not put it together.  So if I bought a Bushmaster stripped lower in May, 1994 AND had a Commando (11.5" bbl, 5.5" flash hider) upper and pistol grip in my possesion as of Sept. 1994 (and I better keep receipts), it is a pre-ban receiver.

So, for the M-1 Carbine, it is a post ban (not grandfathered) gun, unless it had a pistol grip (assuming in it's standard configuration, it has a bayo lug and detachable mag) OR flash hider installed sometime before Sept. 1994.  If I recall properly, the M-1 Carbine can have a flash hider that just snaps (or is held with screws) on to the front sight.

Interesting aside--at one point, the ATF, in their infinite stupidity, was trying to claim that a rifle must ALWAYS be in assault rifle configuration to remain pre-ban.  So, in the pre-ban cases above, if I sold the upper (pre ban features), and installed a target upper (no pre-ban features), it would magically go from being a pre-ban to a post-ban gun.  Then, if I reinstalled a pre-ban upper, it would magically go from being a post-ban sporting rifle to an illegal assault weapon.  

For all practical purposes, I figure it this way--you might be up Schitz Creek if you have a gun that is built on a receiver purchased early September 1994 (right before the ban) and you cannot show that you had the remaining assault weapon parts at the same time.  That is assuming the ATF wants to hassle you (generally for something else at the same time).  You would probably be OK if you bought a stripped receiver in 1990 but didn't have receipts to show that you had all the other parts in hand before 1994 (regardless of the law saying you need to prove it was an assault weapon, not the government needing to prove it).  An M-1 Carbine, made 15+ years before the ban??  I think you would have almost no trouble in any configuration.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an Inland carbine.  I have 6 30 rounders and 10 15 rounders and have never had a problem with any of them.  The mag marked M2 are for the M2 full auto, although I really don't see what difference that would make.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Good FAQ here...

http://www.fulton-armory.com/Carbinemags.htm
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I was lucky enough to purchase quite a few 15 and 30 round magazines in the mid-1980's (when they were cheap) for my M1 carbine.  The M1 carbine was my first semi-auto rifle.  

I haven't shot my M1 in over 10 years now.  I wasn't to impressed with it back then.  Since then it comes out for it's anual inspection / cleaning and then goes back into storage.  

I believe that www.ammoman.com has some NIW 15 rounders advert on his website.  I also see plenty of magazines still on the gun show tables.  

OSA  
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe it`s the "savior" gun of the future???............
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I have never been able to get 30 rounders to work.  Never.  And believe me I've tried.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top