Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2002 1:28:17 PM EDT
OK people I just won a particular auction for a very hard to find magazine.  A Springfield armory M2 rifle (AKA  22lr M1903 training rifle) on auction arms.

I have never purchased anything before from an online auction. I have a money order all made out for the seller.

I have reviewed the sellers auction history and the majority are all good. The negative ones are very minor in my opinion. Mostly people griping on technicalities but the product was always delivered.

But my big question is how should I send the money? Certified mail, ordinary mail?

What is the best way to send the money to prevent a rip-off?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If he has never ripped someone off, you are not going to get ripped off. I have been trading on the Intenet for years and have NEVER been screwed in literally hundreds of transactions. Sometimes folks are a little slow but things do happen.

I always use a US Postal money order and send it through the regular mail. Or Paypal. That is really the way to go.

-elliott
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have a case of nerves start with small deals. i have bought and sold for years on the net and the only problems I have had were misunderstandings.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Use the U.S. Mail then if they rip you off, it comes under  mail fraud.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest that you obtain the seller's telephone number, in addition to the address. I have sold and bought many items over the internet---probably over 250 different items on eBay and AuctionArms alone---and have not had a bad experience yet.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]
yup i have the fellas name, business address telephone,fax,cell number and email address. all in arizona

He has his business card pictured along side the product he is selling. I dam near have everything on this guy but his underware size.

The mag price is $90.00 I suppose i just have a case of nerves.

Link Posted: 2/16/2002 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I purchased at least two dozen items without a problems.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#7]
You are not likely to have problem but what the heck.

1)  Pay with USPS money order or money orders as I believe the USPS max is $700.00 per money order.

2)  Send money order/s USPS Express mail - second day or whatever and require a signature acknowledging receipt as well as requiring proof of delivery returned to you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I've bought probably a couple hundred things off auction sites. Felt a little gypped once or twice, in that the item condition was not what I had hoped, but never ripped off seriously.

Note that "I had hoped" is the key to my less good experiences. Some people purposely give little or no real description of the item, and hope you'll assume it's OK. Then if you complain they'll come back with "I never said..."

I don't play that game, and if it goes beyond what I feel an inexperienced non-gun person might innocently do, there is negative (or at least neutral) feedback on the way. The point is, you might want to watch out for vague descriptions. Though some honest people are just lazy or illiterate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top