Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2002 6:16:19 AM EDT
Anyone know if Colt makes 7.62x39 LEO mags for the AR15/M16?  I seem to recall seeing them advertised from one distributor a couple years ago, but haven't been able to find any.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]

I don't ever recall Colt selling any type of hi-cap 7.62X39 mag. As far as I can tell, they only sold 20 rnd .223 mags marked 7.62X39 that held 10 rnds or less.
I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Why?  There is no LEO gun to use them in.
Besides, there are so many hicaps aound for every model existing that there would be no need.  A 30 round mag is automatically OK by the ABSENCE of any markings, since its date of manufacture cannot be established any other way.
This is like wondering why no one sells ice making machines in the Arctic.  There's just not a lot of call.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#3]
My 7.62 upper for my AR runs perfectly and I only use the USA Frankenmags.  The issue, I have found, is about cleaning the chamber more ofter because most guys are using either Russian or African ammo, which tens to either burn dirtier or lave lacquer behind.  The thorough cleaning includes the the bolt & carrier.
You should run well if you keep it clean.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought I remembered seeing an ad from one distributor several years ago with LEO AR's in 9mm, .223, and 7.62x39 and for LEO mags in all calibers to fit them.  I guess I was wrong.  I've had short barreled M16's, but have gotten away from them as they lose too much velocity.  I thought the 7.62 might be a better choice for a 10-12" upper, but if I can't find a good source for mags, I'll probably scrap the idea. What are the USA Frankenmags going for? Anyone have a lead on them?  I've heard a little that standard .223 mags will work if only loaded to about 20rds - any truth to this?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

BTW ,Knights Armament is putting out a 7.62 AR/SR series that accepts AK mags. Looked at 1 or 2 photos on the 'Net  but no other info. I would imagine it would be pricey but well built!

S.Dog,

The proposed Knights gun is the SR-47.
I've done some checking and there seems to be at least some doubt as to whether this rifle will actually be made for the civilian market.

There's a dealer(?) that goes by "Bandit" - I don't believe I'll comment further here - that is taking orders for the SR-47 at $4500 with pricing subject to change.

Looks as if the wholesale price is likely to $2900 - $3000 (See "Bandit" above) if the gun is actually built.

(Additionally, one other company has a new 7.62X39 upper in the design stage.)
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My 7.62 upper for my AR runs perfectly and I only use the USA Frankenmags.  

royce.
I have a friend who swears by the 7.62 USA mags also.

(I just wanted to post this because I can't recall ever saying anything good about a USA Today mag !)
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought I remembered seeing an ad from one distributor several years ago with LEO AR's in 9mm, .223, and 7.62x39 and for LEO mags in all calibers to fit them.  I guess I was wrong.  I've had short barreled M16's, but have gotten away from them as they lose too much velocity.  I thought the 7.62 might be a better choice for a 10-12" upper, but if I can't find a good source for mags, I'll probably scrap the idea. What are the USA Frankenmags going for? Anyone have a lead on them?  I've heard a little that standard .223 mags will work if only loaded to about 20rds - any truth to this?

Dude,
  5 or 6 is tops for a GI mags to work.  I have 20 mags for $20
BJS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top