Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2002 5:38:12 PM EDT
What is the best why to get this stuff off? Just got a Yugo Mauser and it is soaked thru and thru
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Purple Power, $6 a gallon at wal mart. wear latex gloves. laquer thinner, kerosene and gasoline work also.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I have heard that a hair dryer works.

Just heat it up, and wipe it off.

I have not tried it myself yet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I use spray carb cleaner and mineral spirits...
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Take the action out of the stock.  Detail strip rifle and bolt.  Place all metal parts in a cheap disposable turkey pan.  Pour in a inch or two of white gas AKA Coleman Lantern Fuel.  Using a cheap paintbrush cut down to about two inches long and an old toothbrush scrub the parts.  The cosmoline will melt away.  Use cheap carb cleaner, not STP, to remove the white gas.  Immediately wipe down the parts with an oily rag as the carb cleaner will dry out the parts.  To clean the cosmoline off the stock do basically the same thing.  Do not put the stock in the white gas.  Use the paintbrush and toothbrush to apply the white gas and immediately wipe the area cleaned with a clean rag.  Oil the stock with a good wood stock oil.  Wear protective gloves when doing this and do it outside or in a well ventilated area.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to www.milsurpshooter.com they have a forum dedicated to the how to of cleaning up these rifles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess smoking and cleaning this stuff off is a no no!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got two Sten Kits today that were caked in it. I luckily had acces to a automotive parts washer. The solvent and a stiff brush worked great.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#8]
This is only for summer time fun.(well the car part)

take the gun out of the stock. Clean the metal/action with white gas. Put the wood in a cheap plastic case and then put the wood in the trunk of your car(summer time). Park the car in the sun and bake it out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard a guy say he puts everything (including the stock) in the oven at 150 F. for about 20 minutes. Once it starts to melt, he just wipes it off with mineral spirits.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I just cleaned my new Russian M44 with WD40.  It worked well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top