Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2002 5:31:43 PM EDT
went in to one of my local pawn shops today  and they just put out a few rifles so I bought a couple and here's what I got and everything was $400 out the door.

#1 marlin model 60   22. like new
#2 marlin model 60   22. very clean
#3 glenfield model 60 22. very clean
#4 sears model 25 (which was made by high standard) auto tube feed. 22. like new
#5 marlin model 1894 with rings 44 rem. mag very clean
#6 pair of look to be brand new and never used nikon 10x25 small binoculars

figured that I should be able to sell everything down the line and get my money back and at least come out ahead a set of nikon binoculars and at least 1 of the real nice 22's if not 2 of them.

was looking for a decent 22. but I felt that  everything for $400 was to good to pass up.
what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I was worried about you til I got to #5.
Here in the NJ PA area the 44mag goes for $300+
You Sir did just fine IMNTBHO

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had some kids, and wanted to give them a .22 to go plink with, I would be very happy in your shoes.  

They would also be handy if you have some fiends come and visit and they wanted to shoot some rabits or something.  This way you are not having to take turns every few shots.

I would have bought them for the second situation.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
There was a post here about describing piece of sh*t guns, and I replied about a .22 I have that constantly jams. It's a Marlin mod. 60. Good luck. Wanna buy mine?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
well I have had a few of the marlin model 60's in the past and have not had a problem but then again they sure are not a ruger 10/22.
the way I figured it was this the marlin 44 around here is around $300 also and the bino's at a discount on the web run around $89 so I figured if I had bought the lever action 44 and the bino's everything else is extra.
I have a friend that been wanting a couple .22's for his kids so if the 1 marlin 60 and the glenfield in very clean condition shoot fine I will trade him some ar15 usgi mags for them. I figure he can have the pair for $100 in trade.
he has a couple of surplus stores and I usually buy all the mags he gets anyway so I figure that $100 trade will turn into about $300 in mags so he will be happy cause he will only have about $40 to $50 or less into the pair.
so most likely I will hang onto the other 3 till about the middle of the summer and before hunting season I will most likely sell the 44 and which ever one of the two 22's sell first and keep the other one for myself.
thats what went threw my mind when I bought these guns that I would wind up with a .22 and the bino's and around $250 to $300 cash in my pocket to go with it.
then again I might keep the 44 lever and a .22 and the bino,s and still break about even. I don't know they also had a like new winchester with the syn. stock and scope in 06 but will see about that as they are going to have quite a few guns coming out in the next couple of weeks.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a model 60. It worked OK, until after cleaning it a few times. You have to be carefull not to bend the guide pin for the bolt. If you bend this, good luck getting it straight again, and your gun will almost certainly jam! I ordered a few of these from marlin, and this solved my problem. The 60 is not a bad gun, just a little on the delicate side. The tube mag offers the advantage of a lower profile and 15 shot capacity. Accuracy was more than acceptable.
Later I sold the rifle, and got a ruger 10/22T Stainless with the laminated stock. This gun is pretty sweet, but it jams as well. Every .22 I have ever shot has jammed at some time. This seems to be the result of the cartridge, wich is relatively delicate and tends to bend easily.
Arguably not the most well suited cartridge to use in a semi-auto. But with the low price, I can live with a few jams here and there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top