Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2002 10:06:38 PM EDT
Problem: I am 17(til August) and would like to purchase an AR(I have the money) but my parents wont let me.

My dad let me buy a rem. 710 last fall before the deer season but when I asked last month If I could have an AR for coyote/fox hunting he said no because I am planning on joining the army or air force in June.  He doesn't think I need two rifles. I get the feeling that he is scared of rifles for some reason(he has never owned one, only shotguns).  I don't see why he is so afraid of rifles though (he used to be an artillery instructor in the Army). His main arguement seems to be that they are more "dangerous" than shotguns because they can shoot farther.  He won't even let me get a .22!
It's not that he is anti-gun(he has 3 shotguns, 2 .22's and a 22mag/410) but he seems to have some kind of weird fear of rifles. Am I wrong in wondering what his problem is? Should I skip the military and go straight to the insane asylum?
I plan on showing him this thread so go easy on him (assuming that I am not the one who is wrong, in which case go easy on me).
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 1:24:37 AM EDT
[#1]
i know how you feel,and i am from oklahoma and i bought a 12 guage rem side by side when i was 13.  you must remember that was in 1958 when things were a bit more laxed than now. i don't know how it is in your state but here in okla you mmust be 21 years of age to own a gun,23 years old to get a ccl.   untill you become of legal age any thing you do your parents are totaly resonsible for,including you handling a gun.  under there supervision you can shoot and hunt. i went into the army in 1963 at the age of seventeen(kinda accounts for the spelling huh) but to make a long story short i went to camp polk shot expert with an m1 garand , sharp shooter with a m1a .  went to korea 1st cav,then to fort campbell.   got out after three years in the army went to the store and couldn't buy ciggaretts because i was not 21.  and you know i sure could not buy or own a gun!  all things in good time, i'm not saying you are not mature enough to own a gun as i don't know you and i bet the government would be glad to slap one in your hands and send you over to somalia where they sure don't have any age restrictions on their young men.   your parents love you!  trust them all in due time!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 2:00:27 AM EDT
[#2]
You are right!!!!!  I know how you feel.  I got my first rifle when I was 17.  I had to beg and plead and you name it to get it.  My parents could not see why I needed an SKS.  All I can say is good luck.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 2:51:53 AM EDT
[#3]
My parent just plain hates guns. Not that my dad never handled a firearm (He used to be a Taiwan Army officer) but most Taiwanese people believe in government obeidence, ie civilians shouldnt own firearms.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:34:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Stop and think for a minute.
You are 17 year old.
You have a 30-06 or .270
They can do the work of varmint hunting.
An ar-15 is excessive both in cost and firepower.
In four months you will be going into the army.
You can’t take your guns with you.
Maybe he wants you to save your money because he knows how expensive a “comfortable” life in the military can be.
That $800.00 will go a long way at the PX.

My advice is to save your money and use it wisely in the service.Don’t tell your buddies you have this cash, they will “drink” it for you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#5]
hey rahimiv don't feel bad about your parents feelings about firearms. you know you really don't need to have them! we have in america goverment officals and local law enforcement officals who will protect you.  in the land of your anncestors they probably could not own wheapons ,so they used hand tec-... you say that your parents are used to the government saying they can't own arms well this is not taiwan, and probably all of your (friends) neighbors have at least all of the american post-pre-ban assortment of wheapons ever made by man. if the taliban ever attacted this country some guy would be running after him firing with a patterson colt!  so maybe next to the swiss we don't need no stinking badges!   and yes we like the taiwanis....
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:32:24 AM EDT
[#6]
You're 17,You've got access to a few firearms.Count your blessings.I think your Dads got your best interests in mind.Sure,you think your going nuts over this problem. We were 17 once too,You've got the the whole world by the tail right now !!&You're inlisting too..Save your $$$.Respect your Dads wishes.hold off on the AR. for now,later on down the road,You'll be glad for waiting.Lightbulb above head !-what do you think about building a rifle? Your Dad & you together.Once you get started.....
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#7]
You're right but your father is more right.

Any firearm is dangerous if not used with the correct firearm safety training, but the bottom line is you're living in your father's house.

Being a father myself I can tell you unequivocally, it is an un-arguable fact that dads are always right, when arguing with their children, in their house.

Edited to add I think it is even one of the laws of physics.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, most of you think that I should wait, but I have a few more details I should include.  I have about $1,600 so I would have about $800 left for the px(how much would I need?). I have two younger brothers (16&15) that would use the rifle for coyote/fox while I am in the military so I am also buying it for them(but mostly for me).

posted by bobbyjack
i went into the army in 1963 at the age of seventeen(kinda accounts for the spelling huh)

I graduated when I was 16...I hav no xcuse fo ma poo spellin...

What do you guys think? Army or Air Force? I have two cousins in the air force and they have me leaning twards the USAF.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
While you are living under your dad's roof do as he says.  In fact its probably good advice to do as he says even when you are gone.  I'm sure he has his reasons whether you would agree with him or not.  It may sound silly, but HE is responsible for any stupid thing that YOU or your younger brothers might do while you are under 18.  Good luck with your enlistment.  It is an honorable thing to do.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey ARndog, I'm 19 so i understand about the parent/AR thing. First, save your money. Being 17, almost 18, there are alot of things that can happen to you where you might need that money. If i were joining the military i would not want my 2 brat brothers fondeling my new AR while i was away. God only knows what kind of drool they would get on it and what they could do to it. While you are in the service save as much money as you can and when you get out, get yourself a brand new AR. Most importantly, take your dad's advice because they (usually) are very wise and are trying to lead you into the right direction. I bought a FAL L1A1 back in august and now im thinking about selling it 'cause im out of money.
Good luck in the service,
Mike
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for "your Dad's house---Your Dad's rules".
If you want an AR, get one after you get to your first duty assignment...
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#13]
My dad is letting my brother buy a shotgun(he just turned 16) and there is a gun safe. My dad wont even let me get a .22, and I feel that my brother would take care of the AR pretty well. That pretty much sums it up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Join the military. Learn how to survive there. Get out on your own. Learn how to survive there. Then you can buy whatever you want, and you have not gone against your fathers wishes. Trust me, that gets a lot more important the older you get. Plus you will learn the M16 while in the military and you may decide it is not for you, or it is. But at least you will learn on Uncle Sams dime.

-elliott
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I suggest you either wait or try to talk him into building one with you.  You certainly don't want to go against his wishes under his roof.  You may think that your brothers will take care of it, but sh*t happens.  What if you get back and it is scratched up or abused (unintentionally)?  

I am a father, but I take a different view.  Right now I am building a revolver with my son, and he is only 8.  It will be his gun when we are finished, but of course it will be in my safe .

I was taught gun safety and was shooting with my dad at 5 years old, but my interest went WAY beyond his.  Now the tables are turning though.  I took my dad out recently to shoot his first semi-auto pistol (my Glock 17) and he liked it so much he bought one.  Next I will try to talk him into an AR15.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#16]
man I have been in your shoes about 3 yrs ago. My dad is a shotgun man, he has very few high powered rifles. He wanted me to buy a shotgun but no way I wanted an AR15. So what I did was  I built my AR15 piece by piece. I began ordering parts once a week for six weeks and had them shipped were I worked. Six weeks later I had one AR15 and one pissed off dad. It did not take him long to get over it, I believe he was over it the first time he shot it.

Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#17]
As a parent and a son I can say "parent's house, parent's rules". It's that simple and there is sense getting upset about it. Besides, if you wait a few years with any luck the Fed AW law will sunset and there will be a glut of inexpensive (formerly) pre ban lowers on the market. Going into the military you will have a chance to live cheaply and save your money. When you get out, buy a house first thing then worry about buying guns. You will be way ahead of the game that way.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Save your money $1600.00 and take $800.00 put it into a CD or something that will earn money. You will get practice where you’re going. You don't want the a weapon in your brothers hands when your not there. God for bid something happens. Learn what you can in the service. When you get out buy what you want. Teach your brothers to use and respect it. Trust us old guys we were there at one time or another. Best of luck and my Humble respect to your father. It sounds like he is bringing you up right.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I think everyone has covered your options as far as the AR15. I'll try and answer the Army or Air Force puzzle. To start, I've been in the Air Force for over 20 years. Now here is how to make up your mind.  Ask each recruiter to take you on a tour of an active base. Ask to see the living conditions, try out the chow hall, see what's available for recreation. Make sure they let you ask questions of people you meet. Not just the ones they steer you towards. If furthering your education is an issue, don't just look at how much money is available but, will you have time to attend classes. DO NOT attend any kind of program where you receive "expense money" or an "allowance". If you receive any money from a service you can be banned from enlisting in the other services. When that's done you will find the Air Force has the highest standard of living, the best working conditions,the best access to education, and the majority of the high tech training. Good luck in your future.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#20]
A few of you have suggusted that I try to convince him to build one with me...do you just order a kit or is there something else that you need? Also how long would it take to assemble one(would it actually take a little time not 5 minutes)? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Be thankful that you have a firearm.  I had to build a Blackpowder revolver at your age, because it was the only gun I could get.

Save your money.  If I had invested that amount in Microsoft, or Wal-Mart, when I was 17, I would have a hell of alot more toys today.  Point is, you can never have to much cash on hand.  Emergancies and opportunities arise.

If Democrats gain more seats this year, buy it!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Give it up ARndog. Realize that you are on this board, realize that emotionally you are attached to the AR because we are attached to the AR. Then realize that you want an AR because we have made it sound like a wet dream, which it is. I am just trying to make sure you understand where the desire is starting at.  Listen to you father, ALL THINGS IN GOOD TIME.  What I am getting at is their is time enough in this world for all things, but always honor your mother and father and always do as they say; this in turn shows honor to oneself.  Go join the military whichever branch that you want and then get the GI BILL and go to college, if you graduated at 16 then you are way ahead of the curve.  I am telling you this and I am much younger then most people on this board.  So even if you don't get your hands on an AR now you can have one when you get back.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#23]
 when I was 17 (yeah I can remember back that far) my uncle gave me my first rifle, he showed me how to use it and to care for it, if your going into the service your uncle will give you one too and it will be better then a AR it will be a M16. so do as your dad says he is your dad. and when your down there talking to the army and air force look around for the marine..
semper fi AR and good luck.... Bluemax
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 2:47:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Save your money. If your going into the service in a few months you'll have MORE THAN ENOUGH time to shoot the M16. After some time you might even get tired of having to go down to the arms room to sign out your weapon......"oh no we're going to the field again for 4 weeks!"
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I have seen the error of my ways...

MORE THAN ENOUGH time to shoot the M16

that sounds like fun...

thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:07:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I suggest you either wait or try to talk him into building one with you.  You certainly don't want to go against his wishes under his roof.  You may think that your brothers will take care of it, but sh*t happens.  What if you get back and it is scratched up or abused (unintentionally)?  

I am a father, but I take a different view.  Right now I am building a revolver with my son, and he is only 8.  It will be his gun when we are finished, but of course it will be in my safe .

I was taught gun safety and was shooting with my dad at 5 years old, but my interest went WAY beyond his.  Now the tables are turning though.  I took my dad out recently to shoot his first semi-auto pistol (my Glock 17) and he liked it so much he bought one.  Next I will try to talk him into an AR15.

My son (13) and I are putting together his match AR15 for service rifle competition this summer.  It will stay in the safe but he knows where the keys are.  He has a pretty good head on his shoulders and an extremely healthy respect for firearms.  An example is most shooters clear there rifles at the line and will set it on their stools and move there equipment back to the ready line.  It was hard to convince him that even though the muzzle was sticking out and pointed to the line that this was safe.  First time he saw it he said "MUZZLE CONSCIOUS, MUZZLE CONSCIOUS!".
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#27]
man I dunno...

I'm 31 years old..living in Tulsa Ok..

I grew up in SE OK in a rural area on a fair size farm.

guns were and are a major way of life.

by the time I was 15.
I had quite a collection of MY OWN..these didn't count any other firearms owned by family members..

1-AR
1-Mini-14 ranch..topped with a 2x7 leupold
3-shotguns..
2-.22's
1-.22 mag
1-.243
1-30-30
1-30-06
1-.22-250

1-model 66 with a 4 inch tube
1-model 29 with a 6incher
1- colt officers model
and 2 .22 pistols

I guess today I would be labelled a criminal and an unfit father...

coyotes stood no chance on our place..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top