Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2002 8:19:58 PM EDT
Is it legal to build an AR pistol on a post ban receiver?Also has anyone had any experience with model 1 sales?Good or bad.Want to build a pistol on a rock river lower if possible.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You must either fix the mag so not removable. Remove the gas system so it is not a semi auto, or get the overall weight less than 50OZ

Or register with the ATF as an AOW
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You must either fix the mag so not removable. Remove the gas system so it is not a semi auto, or get the overall weight less than 50OZ

So if I have a post ban bushy, And I want to make it a pistol;  All I have to do is braize a mag in place and get the weight under 50oz?  I always thought that pistols could only be built on pistol lowers.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What does it cost to register something as a AOW.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does it cost to register something as a AOW.

200 dollars for your inital background check if you dont already have one.  And then its 5 dollars for a transfer of an AOW everytime it changes hands.  The manufacture of an AOW requres paperwork that I'm not familiar with, but I do know that the guy that makes it has to mark it with his full name, and the state that it was made in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Your other route is to buy the Oly Arms Pistol.  They made it light enough and you don't have to permanently fix the mag.  Professional Ordinance also makes one.  I havn't shot either one so I can't say if it is worth it.  Oly uses an aluminum reciever milled down for weight loss while Professional uses some kind of polymer or carbon fiber or something.

Your only route with an RRA reciever is to get the NFA background check, wait and $200 tax stamp.  Unless you think you can mill the reciever light enough to get away with it (And I don't know that milling it would be legal).

EDITED...  I understood that it would be registered as an SBR???  That would be $200 every time it switched hands... I don't know.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 2:13:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Hesse had a new one at the SHOT show and will start selling them soon.  Upper is made of kevlar(?). Hesse has had some issues in the past.  Fortunately, this pistol uses standard parts, bolt, etc.  P.O. does not use standard parts, so all replacements must be P.O..  Again, they have had issues.  

Cavalry Arms MAY be coming out with one.  There is a thread in their industry forums.  I have heard nothing but praise for their products.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:57:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I never said you could do this to a rifle receiver. The original poster mentioned receiver not rifle receiver. To be a pistol receiver all it had to be is not ever a rifle receiver.

Does not need pinned in mag and less than 50oz. If mag is not detatchable it can have all other evil features.

Title 2 manuf. can register AOW for no fee but can charge you what ever he feels is fair.
Then it will transfer to you for $5
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hesse had a new one at the SHOT show and will start selling them soon.  Upper is made of kevlar(?). Hesse has had some issues in the past.  Fortunately, this pistol uses standard parts, bolt, etc.  P.O. does not use standard parts, so all replacements must be P.O..  Again, they have had issues.  

Cavalry Arms MAY be coming out with one.  There is a thread in their industry forums.  I have heard nothing but praise for their products.  

I saw the Hesse AR pistol in a FAC catalog a last month.  I'm not sure if they were just geting pre orders or what.  It was a picture of the prototype.  It'll look something like the Professional Ordnace one, but using 100% Ar compatible parts.  It description said it'll have 'basic sights' (similar to the PO) on the flattop.  It will have a muzzle brake and has a 7.5" barrel.  that's all the descriptions said.  Oh, the price listed in the ad was under 600 (550ish I think)....

Not sure about CAV...one's in the works, so it's been typed....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top