Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2002 7:25:43 AM EDT
Did anyone read the .17 Hornady article in American Rifleman?I know that this caliber is a necked down version of the .22 mag.In the article it says that the .17 hornady could be used in rifles originally chambered in .22wmr.Is this true? Or is there some type of conversion necessary for using this round in a .22 mag?I see that Marlin has a .17 heavy barrel but figure why buy a new one if I could use this round in my Marlin .22mag.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they meant that existing rifle designs can be used.  The manufacturer just needs to slap a new barrel on the gun.  No need for a new feeding system or magazine.  I guess you could fire it in a 22 mag, but accuracy would probably be like shooting a musket.  I'll need to reread the article.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
That makes sense.I guess I'd rather spend any barrell money on .223 ammo and keep killing coyotes with my AR.Thanks for the reply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top