Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2002 12:14:07 AM EDT
It was in my attic and I don't know how it got there. The markings on it read:

O.F. MOSSBERG & SONS, INC.
NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A.
46 BS  22 S-L-LR  PATS-PDG

Anyone know anything about this gun? I can't find anything on this specific model. It's missing some stuff (like the bolt), and I'm looking to fix it up. I went to the local gunshops and they just tried to convince me to buy their old Mossbergs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]
With a name like Mossberg, I would put it back up in the attic and forget about it again.  (Bad history with me and the Mossbergs.)

Congrats anyhow on "finding" a gun.  I wish I could raid my attic and find a few.  But, there would be no such luck.  

The best you can do is call Mossberg direct and see if they know of any old parts distributers.  It will probably be a lost cause, but at least you asked.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Jetlag,
        Go to www.mossbergcollectors.org
        The folks who run this site also sell parts, and have good reviews from the folks over on the CSP boards (who have much experience with the Moss. M44US, an old military .22 trainer).

Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Jetlag,
        Go to www.mossbergcollectors.org
        The folks who run this site also sell parts, and have good reviews from the folks over on the CSP boards (who have much experience with the Moss. M44US, an old military .22 trainer).

Join the mossberg collectors......I`ve had a lot of fun finding and restoring old mossy 22`s.......Vic Havlin (pres) has a lot of parts.....and gun parts inc in w-hurley n.y. has some also.......
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:46:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A.

Anyone know anything about this gun? I can't find anything on this specific model. It's missing some stuff (like the bolt), and I'm looking to fix it up. I went to the local gunshops and they just tried to convince me to buy their old Mossbergs.

Ya! It's mine.  I forgot and left it there.

Email me for my address so you can send it to me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#5]
the model 46bs was made in the late 30's to mid 40's came with a walnut stock and 43 1/2 " overall length and weighed right at 7#'s
but even in like new 100% cindition its value at most runs right at $150 and even if it was the target version it only runs around $200 so after you put alot of bucks into it you would never get your money back out of it. if you wanted to restore it back to lets say shooting condition, I would suggest shopping gun shows and the like and getting a mossberg piece in the same model 46 line as they did may a few of them and use the parts off it to restore yours .  after that I really do not know what to tell you because in the condition it's in now it's really not worth to much.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:55:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Clean it up....get it shootin.....hang it on the wall.......even if you spend $100 on it....the price was right.....and enjoy.....OR if you don`t want it.....send it this way....I`ll give you $25 or thereabouts for it..........
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Amen brother!!!

BlackandGreen has it right.  I have a few wall hangers with such bad barrels I wont even keep ammo for them.  An old gun on the wall can add alot of character and conversation to a room.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Try looking here for your old Mossberg parts.

www.havlinsales.com
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A.

Do you have any pics?
- .22 Bolt Action with peep sights?
- "Tommy Gun" style stock that folds down in the front?
- 7 round detachable mag?

If that's the one then these are AWESOME little .22's. My dad has one and it is probably my favorite gun to shoot EVER. Even more than my AR-15 (yeah I'm going to hell now). They are so much fun to shoot. I've been searching all over for a reasonably priced one to buy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#10]
DH, you're talking about the Model 142A, made from 1949-57. There was an identical model except it has open sights on the barrel instead of a peep sight -- that one, caled the 142K, was the first rifle I owned (a Christmas present at age eight). Did my best to wear that one out.

You're right, they are a blast to shoot, and mine have all been accurate, too. (The "mine" is plural because my first one was stolen when I was about 19. I now have two more of them -- a shooter, about 85% blue needing the wood refinished, that I bought for $75, and an absolutely mint one I picked up for $55 when I was the first guy in the door at a gun show!) BTW, you can now get 10-round mags for 'em.

It's second only to my M16A1 in both my heart and my safe... LOL!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 1:59:20 AM EDT
[#11]
he said found, not bought!  you are indeed a lucky man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top