Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2002 10:56:50 AM EDT
Hi all, I just purchased my first AR...A shiny new Colt M4. It's real pretty and I want to be sure I treat it right. Does anyone know of a website with detailed illustrated instructions for thorough cleaning of the rifle? I understand that they can be a little tricky to clean properly.....

Thanks !
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#1]
ARTICLES up top, pick it read the manual for the AR.

Mike

PS - welcome to the site and anything you want to know is either up top or on top of your particular area (forum) of interest, like magazines - see mag facs Tacked to top of Magazines forum ....etc.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn Canadians!!!!

I really hope the AW Ban sunsets so that we can buy these things in the States again.

Anyway, Karl, Welcome to the club !!!

(If you all have read my "Gun Addiction" post, you know that I bought my Mil-Spec 1911 because of Karl.
Damn, I really want an M4.  [>Q]  )

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info Mike....and Willie ...what can I say...its just beautiful man :)
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info Mike....and Willie ...what can I say...its just beautiful man :)

Honestly, I am glad you got it.

You'll find lots of good info here. And , if you're anything like me, your productivity at work will go way down, 'cuz you'll be spending all your time on this board rather than working !

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#5]
KarlG,

Enlighten a confused American- I've been to other sites where a Canadian was saying he wished he could buy a Garand, so I assumed from this and other piecemeal info that owning a semi-auto Military style rifle with high cap mags was very difficult for a civilian to do in Canada.  Can a Canadian civilian get the proper paperwork to own military style rifles, or do you have to be Law Enforcement/military.

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I've tried to get the lowdown on Canadian gun laws in the past, to little avail, so if you could give a brief blurb on what a typical civilian can buy in Canada, and what he has to do to get a permit, I would really enjoy learning...
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi Ed, Canadian gun laws are pretty strict in general but there are a few things that we can get away with up here with the proper paperwork. Guns are divided into 3 categories up here: non-restricted (most hunting rifles) restricted (pistols with barrels longer than 5 inches and some assault rifles) and prohibited (the majority of high tech miliraty grade weapons and pistols that are shorter than 5 inches as well as some small caliber pistols that the government has basically and arbitrarily labled as "pimp guns").
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Karl,

You should start a new thread about Canadian gun laws. I'm sure there is plenty of interest.....

Be sure and put CANADA in the title....

( OR The Land of Ice and Snow )

stupid gun laws make me

Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#8]
canadinan law pt 2   In order to own any gun you must pass a firearms saftey course whic consists of about 10 hours of class time, a written test and a practical test. You mail your results in to the government, they do a background check and if all goes well you get a permit to but non-restricted weapons (excuse me...firearms...there are no "weapons" allowed in Canada :) In order to own restricted firearms you tack another 4-6 hours of classtime onto the saftey course where they go over the exact principles but deal specifically with pistols. Then there is an additional written and practical test. You send these results in to the government and they presumably do a more thorough background check..  You then get a license to OWN restricted firearms BUT before you can actually purchase any you need to become a member of an official gun club. This is the only place that restricted firearms can be used so the ratiobale is that if you are not a member of one of these clubs you have no need for a restricted firearm as you can't use it anywhere (apparently they also make some allowance for collectors, but I don't know how that works since I use my guns).
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#9]
canadian gun law pt 3     The final kick in the pants is that you need to get a permit to transport restricted firearms back and forth between your house and registered clubs. these are the only places you can ever take the guns and if you ever get caught with one and you are not en route to a club you are in deep doo doo. Overall its a pretty stifling system. The only upside is that we do not have the same set of rules defining an assault rifle that you guys do down south.
(I believe the American system lists several charictaristics such as removable magazine, pistol grip, flash hider, folding stock etc... and any gun that has 3 or more is banned) up here the classification of guns is more or less arbitrary so we do not automatically lose things like the M4 because it has too many assualt rifle attributes. The way it works out we are still barred from purchasing most of the same guns as you guys (many more in fact) but in one or two cases (like the M4) we get a break. Personally I have no idea why your friend could not purchase a garand. To my knowledge it is a non restricted firearm up here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#10]
canadian gun law pt 4    
As far as the high cap mags go though these are absolutly banned to all but law enforcement. No one can have anything more than a 5 round mag for a centerfire rifle except government and cops. That includes people that have been granfathered to own prohibited guns...oh yeah, that is another difference up here. There is no such thing as pre ban guns...its more like pre ban owners. If you owned a registered weapon (excuse me...firearm) before they prohibited it you can continue to purchase prohibited guns. Otherwise you are SOL regardless of when the gun was made.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#11]
canadian gun law pt 5      This is great for the guys with those papers because they can buy brand new direct from the factory AUGs or whatever they want...and since there aren't many people grandfathered into that category the market is pretty small. It is not possible to attain this license if you don't already have it and since these guys are slowly dying off the joke in the gun community is that when all but the last guy have died off he will own every machine gun in Canada. Its hard for the stores to move those guns since there are so few people licensed to buy them so they are pretty cheap. Its very sad to see an AUG listed at $1000 and not be able to pick it up *sigh* Well, I think that pretty much covers it.... let me know if you have any other questions.
Cheers,
Karl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top