Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2002 4:21:24 AM EDT
Anybody have any favorite loads for the Rem 788 in .223?
I have my new toy all ready to.  It whoots well & now its time to fine-tune.
I would like to use Win 748, because I have so much of it and  like to minimize the number of powders I keep on hand.

For those who are unfamiliar, it is a bolt .223, 24" barrel, 1:12 twist.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one 2 weeks ago I paid $340 LNIB, 3 mags. & a weaver 2.5 scope. I shoot only south african right now and I dont use the mag. I drop them in just one at a time. Love the gun!
GG
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The gun shoots real sweet.  You're gonna have a great time  with it.

The mags are wierd...follower is real loose, but they function perfectly. I shot some Wolf & it shot pretty good. It just seems a waste of a good 24" barrel to shoot standard Military, so I'm going to start loading my own.  I'm already set up so it's just a matter of recipe.

I put a new leather '03 military sling.  Looks awesome...the well dressed gun.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I had good success in a bolt .223 with 1:12 using 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.  I think I had those over about 20 grains of IMR 4198.  I think you can put those over about 24-26 grains of W748.  

With that twist, 55 grainers will probably be the heaviest you want to shoot.  Try out some of the Winchester 45gr hollow points that come in the 40 pack.  I shot good groups with that stuff.

M@
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Rem 700 Vs with a 1 in 12. I also have had good luck with IMR 4198 and 50 gr Sierra Blitz Kings.

This is a side note but I am always nervouse about listing how much powder I use. I am worried I am going to mis-quote something and blow someone's weapon up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#5]
788s can take some hot stuff, They have that super strong 9 lug action.
GG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top