Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2002 11:41:27 AM EDT
Were rifles ever specifically marked or stamped for SS units?

I'm wondering because I just recently bought an "Israeli" 98K.  I thought the historical irony was just too rich to pass up - plus it's rebarreled in 7.63 x 51, so I can use my FAL ammo in it.

It's marked 1940, but in addition to the waffenamt proofs and the serial no., it also has an "S.S." stamp on the side of the receiver.  It is not a "double-lightning" kind of S.S. stamp, just two capital letters in a regular font (much like this one), with periods after each one.  Does anyone know what this signifies - is it just a factory/quality stamp, or might it represent a rifle that was issued to SS units?

That would just make the irony even stronger.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
SS Issued 98k's were stamped with the "Death's Head under rune " usually on the barrel in front of recvr ring. Concentration camp SS manufactured 98's have one rune under the manufacture code. If the double ss is on the side, under or near the serial # it's most likely just the serial number prefix..
Example...
  ii
Hope this helps....
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The SS modified Mausers will either have Totenkopf (Death's Head) stamped on it (http://www.germanbuckles.com/Totenkopf.M_tze.Abz.jpg) Or the SS rune markings on it. More than likely the SS you're seeing stands for 'Suhler and Sohne' (not sure on the spelling...), who made Mausers during the war. It was then taken by Isreal for use in it's army. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info - definitely seems to be the manufacturern (thanks acfs), since no totenkopf or runes.

Luckily, it really makes no difference to me, since I hadn't even noticed the S.S. stamp until a few days after I got the rifles - so it's not like I bought it or paid more because of it.

Thanks again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top