Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2002 10:22:53 AM EDT
I think I already know the answer to this question, but can one legally own a full auto M16 in NJ assuming that all federal requirements and taxes have been met/paid?  I saw someplace on the web that civilian ownership of machineguns in NJ is prohibited; is that true or is there a way to get around this law?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes

www.bodermansports.com/html/nfa_states.html

Probably not in big cities though
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Seagull,
I would suggest going to Evan Nappen`s website. It might have the info you`re looking for. HTH
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Basicly no.

As far as I  am aware, NJ is a non-NFA state for individuals.  With all due respect to Jeff Boderman, right off the bat, I noticed several mistakes in his table.  As for NJ, theoretically, it may be possible, but in practice, you'll never get the required CLEO signoff...unless you have extremely powerful political connections in the state.  Additionally, don't forget the state prohibitions on hi-cap mags - even if you could get a MG, its pretty well pointless with a 10rd or less mag.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Seagull,

According to N.J.S.A. 2C:58-5 you can apply to the Superior Court for a license to Possess and Carry Machine Guns. The County Prosecutor conducts an investigation of the application and makes recommendations to the Court.

So in theory you can get a license for a Machine Gun.

In practice, it will never happen.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top