Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2002 1:17:33 PM EDT
can someone help me out here.  I just bought a stripped upper reciever.  I need to know how to take apart old COMPLETE Olympic upper & migrate parts to my new upper.  why am I doing this?  simple, the Oly upper is a POS.  TOO LOOSE.  I took my Oly lower to a gun show & tried several stripped uppers. they ALL fit TIGHTER than Oly's own upper.  I need to know how to:

1. take A2 sights off old & install on new
2. take the forward assist out of old & install on new
3. take chamber & barrel out & install on new

any advice & links to web sites greatly appreciated.  BTW someone congratulate on finally making a decent gun outta a pos, even though it's 2 tone now...  shoulda bought a bushmaster...
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#1]
is this something I should attempt?  or should I take to a smith?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#2]
With the proper tools you can do it.. it is not that hard.  You need the shop manual to do this.  (tools:  punches, allen wrenches, bbl vice blocks, bbl nut wrench/tool and torque wrench)  then it would be best to check headspace too.

Colt, USMC and Army have one. you should be able to find them on line or via one of the dealers.  Sorry I don't have a TM# or refrence at this time.   wait..., actually I do have the number for the USMC one.. TM 05538C-23&P/2

maybe you could hook up with someone on the forum that's in your area???
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
is this something I should attempt?  or should I take to a smith?

Don't waste your time or money on a gunsmith. ARs are easy and fun to work on. Tools required are a bench vise, barrel blocks, barrel nut wrench, small punches (for roll pins) and a small hammer.

http://www.gunsmokeinc.com/tools.htm

Get the Technical Manual like 7IDL said. Be patient and you'll be hooked on building and upgrades for your rifle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
old.ar15.com/books/ and then click on the download for TM 9-1005-319-23, and you will find everything you need to know in there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the info guys.  sadly I don't have the tools needed to make this conversion... I don't have ANY gunsmithing tools.  it looks like in the end, I would have spent WAY MORE for this POS Oly rifle than I would have if I would have just bought a BM to begin with... lesson learned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top