Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2002 12:36:13 PM EDT
Hey guys, I have an opportunity to purchase a like new, collapsible stock, 9MM 6450 Green Label w/2 20round magazines; priced @ $1850.

First of all, is this a fair price? I tried hagling a bit but owner sais there's been too much interest in the rifle and he's not willing to drop the price.

Second, I have a few AR15's but on closer inspection of the bolt, the 6450 seems to be straight blowback. Am I correct. Is this a fairly reliable system? Is it prone to jamming?

Third I looked for extra magazines and they seem to be a bit pricy; going for about $125 a piece. Is there a good source for mags.

Fourth, can I turm this into a M4 carbine? The lower seems to be the same, except for the pinned magazine inserts.

Thank you all for any input you may have and please, if you have any shooting experience with this carbine, feel free to tell me what you think.

Regards...
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The price is a bit high, but if you really want one and can't find another one for sale to haggle with...

I bought one of these in '99 for $1600. I thought Y2K had some effect on the price, but the only other one I have seen since then had a $2000 price tag on it. Saw it last month and it didn't last long.

It is a straight blowback just like a .22LR. Recoil seems a bit sharper than a 5.56mm (not much) and takes you by surprise at first. It never jammed on me, though I never shot it much - rifle chambered in 9mm is kind of um, ah... boring. But it sure looked cool.

Genuine Colt mags are pricey. Check www.vectorarms.com/ or www.cdnninvestments.com/ for decent converted mags.

Yes you can turn this into an M4 - it's what I eventually did to mine. Guns are for shooting not collecting! In order to do this you'll need to 1) knock out the magazine blocks. As you noticed, they're held in with roll pins. Be careful, there are small coil springs helping the blocks stay in place. When removing the blocks, these things will try to launch themselves (at least that's what my gunsmith told me). 2) You'll need to swap the bolt catch with a standard AR15 version - again with the roll pin. 3) Changing out the 9mm buffer and buffer spring are optional. A 5.56mm upper will work with them. The springs bear the same part numbers.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Magazines are very difficult to find. You may find used ones, but sometimes they will have problems. Also-- you will find that some dealers claim they have 32rd Colt 9mm magazines (which do exist), but they will send you USA magazines-- modified UZI magazines. These jam a lot.

As far as the 9mm being reliable-- I have not seen any problems, except maily when shooting aluminum cased ammo. The aluminum crushes too easily and could jam in the upper receiver-- a pain to get out.

The Colt 9mm's are very solid guns, and hold their value. Unless Colt changed their product line, the 9mm models, post ban, are no longer available. You can still get 9mm parts on their website.

Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you interested in a PRE-BAN Colt 9mm carbine or just a Colt 9mm Carbine...I ask only because a post ban carbine can be put together for a lot less money than the price of the gun you are looking at.  I have a few and enjoy them very much
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are you interested in a PRE-BAN Colt 9mm carbine or just a Colt 9mm Carbine...I ask only because a post ban carbine can be put together for a lot less money than the price of the gun you are looking at.  I have a few and enjoy them very much

I have a post-ban too. In fact, so do several of my friends. We love them! A friend went shooting with us one day-- he saidthe 9mm was more fun to shoot that a .223. If you don't need a collapsible stock, then post-ban is for you-- the flash suppressor doesn't help much on the 9mm-- there is hardly any flash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top