Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2002 4:10:00 PM EDT
I want a good air rifle. here is what i am looking for
1. quiet, i mean no stupid TONK!!!! when you shoot it.
2. no CO2 I want it to be self sustained beside the pellets
3. good velocity I mean about 800-1000fps for .177 and 600-900fps for .22
4.ability to mount a scope
5. good price dont want to spend 400 for a air rifle
thanks for all advice or ideas

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
A Beeman R-9  or  BSA Supersport would fit your criteria. Both are well made, accurate, and not overly expensive. Stay away from the Gamo crap. You can purchase the BSA for $194.00 here:www.precision-sales.com Nice people.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Beeman Arms used to have a very comprehensive catalog. They only handle better quality arms. Prices would start around 150-200. I think CZ or BRNO makes an air-rifle in the $100 range. I'm not sure if you're going to find anything that is silent. Even a crossbow makes a bit of noise. Hope this helps. What is the intended use? How much do you want to spend?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you are going to have a problem with the rifle being quiet. I have a beeman that I really enjoy. It is 17 cal, spring air, 900 fps that I use for target shooting and small game hunting. But, it (like most spring air rifles) is surprisingly loud. Got mine on sale at Big 5 sporting goods last year. The fiance really likes to shoot it as well even though it is almost too strong of a spring for her to cock it.

Karl
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Your requirements dictate that you should probably buy a spring gun. The Beeman R-9 is the way to go. There is nothing better for the money. Shop around a little and you should be able to find one in the $250.00 range.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
the intended purpose of the air rifle would be plinking/pest control in town and small game out of town. iknow that it would not be completely silent but i would not want the neighbors to know what was going on.
I am looking at a theoben air rifle made in germany or england or somewhere in europe looks good to me but I can not figure out the velocity because they give ft/lbs energy. they also have a muffling system which i am not sure would be legal in the US.the price is 423 euros which is probably about 380 US dollars
anyone with personal experience with theoben(i think imorted by beeman but may be wrong) all advice is welcome thanks
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Get either a Beeman R-9 (Germnay) or a BSA Supersport (England). The R-9 is a little over $200, and the Supersport is about $200. I have a Beeman R-7. It is very light weight, easy to cock, and almost no noise. It does about 700 FPS. I would not advise getting an RWS. There are much better guns. And DO NOT ge a Gamo. They are horribly overpriced, and there are way better guns for the money. Two good air gun forums are-

www.straightshooters.com

&

www.airgunforum.com (click the "airgun forum" banner)
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the intended purpose of the air rifle would be plinking/pest control in town and small game out of town. iknow that it would not be completely silent but i would not want the neighbors to know what was going on.
I am looking at a theoben air rifle made in germany or england or somewhere in europe looks good to me but I can not figure out the velocity because they give ft/lbs energy. they also have a muffling system which i am not sure would be legal in the US.the price is 423 euros which is probably about 380 US dollars
anyone with personal experience with theoben(i think imorted by beeman but may be wrong) all advice is welcome thanks

Theobens are made in England. They are PCP (Pre Charged Pneumatic) which means they have to be "charged" with pump or scuba tank. you can usually get about 100 or so shots from a single charge. $380 sounds very low for a Theoben. I haven't been into airguns for a about a year or two, but I always thought they cost like $1000+. As far as foot pounds go, You probably need at least about 10 foot pounds+ for pest control/hunting. For comparison, anything above 12 foot pounds is considered a "firearm" in England. A 12 ft. lb. gun can take out small game with head or heart shots out to about 20-30 yards or more, depending upon the shooter. The Beeman R-9 and BSA Supersport can both do 12-15 foot pounds depending on caliber and pellet weight. Personally, I would get the Supersport. That's all I can think of right now. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#9]
long island shooter I know some of the theobens have to have air tanks and those ones cost $1000+ but the one i am looking at is the Sirocco HV the 22cal has 22ft/lbs.
also is the beeman r-7 accurate
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#10]
the beeman r-9 and the BSA supersport look good and give good velocity but how is the noise I curerntly have a cheap chinese air rifle that has a very loud TONK!!! when i shoot it. i have shot a benjamin sheradin pump and like how quiet it is but dont like pumping it up.so anyone who has shot the BSA or Beeman r-9 or been close to someone who has can you tell me about the noise. krazy_karl how loud is your beeman
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#11]
10x-
If you can live with the noise level of a Sheridan you ought to be happy with any of the ones previously mentioned. My Sheridan is the loudest airgun I have.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#12]
i cant remember to well but i thought the sheredin was quiet but i may be wrong i will have have to shoot my friends again to refresh my memory.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Got a RWS 48 for gophers and chipmunks in the back yard and garden. It will put 10 shots into a beer bottle top at 30 yards. A good used one would fit your price range.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
the beeman r-9 and the BSA supersport look good and give good velocity but how is the noise I curerntly have a cheap chinese air rifle that has a very loud TONK!!! when i shoot it. i have shot a benjamin sheradin pump and like how quiet it is but dont like pumping it up.so anyone who has shot the BSA or Beeman r-9 or been close to someone who has can you tell me about the noise. krazy_karl how loud is your beeman

the r-9 and ss are not very loud at all. and the r-7, as well as the ss and r-9, are both capable of ragged 1 hole groups at 20 yards or more. 22 ft. may be overkill w/ the sirocco. It will also be very loud. The r-9 and ss are defintly your best bet, they are very quiet. try out some of those airgun boards. those guys know there stuff.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't skimp on dollars.  The really good air rifles cost.  Feinverkbau 300s can be bought used at good prices and they're much more accurate than most of what's available.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Go to Airguns of aizona.com I got a TAU-200 from them. wicked awsum! at 10 meters it shoots one hole 10 shot groups, at 25 meters it is a .25 group in the indoor range. I know it is co2 but for the price and the configuaration it is very cool..
The stock is very nice wood, the sights are above average, the rest is unmatched for the price....pat
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#18]
www.airgunexpress.com/ and  www.straightshooters.com ,I bought an RWS model 52 from airgun express,found it under demos saved quite a bit , looked new when I got,lots of power and recoil,the model 54 is recoilless but the same power level
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:02:49 AM EDT
[#19]
ok thanks for all the advice i saw alot of BSA SS and beeman R-9 so what caliber would best fit the rolls it is to perform

T2 i am going to skimp on the dollars i am going to see if i like adult air guns
the chinese POS was not the gun to help decide
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
ok thanks for all the advice i saw alot of BSA SS and beeman R-9 so what caliber would best fit the rolls it is to perform

T2 i am going to skimp on the dollars i am going to see if i like adult air guns
the chinese POS was not the gun to help decide

As far as caliber-the R-9 comes in .177, .20, and .22. The SS comes in .177 and .22. If you will mainly be doing hunting, get the .22. For mainly oplinking, get the .177. The .20 is sort of a compromise between the 2. the .22 has more power, but a worse trajectory. The .177 has a much flatter trajectory but not as much power. I'd go with the SS in .22-I think that would be the best for your intended task. Buy from straightshooters.com. They have low prices, and I've had good luck from them in the past. Don't forget a decent scope.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#21]
You can look at www.compasseco.com
they have a wide variety of airguns.
I was looking at the tech force guns a while back, but don't have any experience with them.  Most of the Tech Force have velocities of 900+ and most are a reasonable price.
Gunshooter
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I love my RWS Diana 45 .177@1000 fps, it has an integral scope rail, and cost $220. I shoot this and my Beeman Hurricane inside of a row home basement all the time. The neighbors on both sides of me are cool and I ask them if they can hear me shooting, they both say that they never hear it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#23]
10X

In the power range that you are looking the R-9 is about as quiet as they get.  I have one I have been using for years.  It is .177 and has plenty of power to drop ground squirrels with one shot. I'd go with .177 if I were you.  There are many more pellets available in that caliber and they are easier to find.

One of the most popular pellets today is the Crosman Premier.  It comes in two flavors.  A 7.9 grain pellet and a 10 grain pellet. They are one of the most accurate field pellets available. If your gun won't shoot Premiers, it won't shoot.

Another nice thing about the R-9 is that there are several upgrade kits around.  You can install a heavier or lighter spring to tune the gun to exaclty where you want it.

Better be careful, airguns are just about as addictive as AR's.

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I had my 30 year old benjamin 342 .22 pump rebuilt and steroid tuned at mac1 this gun rocks. Put a add in the paper for a old benji and have it rebuilt good gun for the money.
RTJ
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I found an air rifle at www.cumminstools.com/pelletgunsbows.html
It is $20 and shoots 900fps.  Don't know how quit it is or if it can be mounted with a scope.
Gunshooter
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#26]
DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE CUMMINSTOOL GUN if your looking for a 900FPS gun it actully shoot 550-600 if your lucky ,IT is a POS.If your going to  get a chinese gun get a B-18(BEC magnum) 850fps or b-21(supermax 1000) 1000fps from sportsmansguide.com/ it shoot as stated .I have had all 3 of these guns and have chronoed all of them.Guns I have now are b-18 .177 ,rws45 .177 ,rws34 .22,and beeman kodiak .25 and  a baikal IZH-46M pistol which shoot one hole groups at 33ft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top