Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2002 8:08:34 AM EDT
Newbie question here:  So I think I'll be getting a pretty standard post-ban config in a month or so:

Bushmaster AR-15 20" A2 Target or something similar.

What are my options for the end of the muzzle?  Can I legally, permanently attach a flash suppressor of any kind?

I see the AK-style brakes, but I'm not interested in that config.  What are my options for the 20" barrel?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#1]
You have ZERO-NADA-ZIP options for a muzzle device that reduces flash.  Doesn't matter how its attached.

You do have multiple options on muzzle brakes.  From Bushmaster you have the AK style (works the best but looks bad), and the Y-Comp style (lots of side blast, but looks better).

However if you get a bare muzzle you can send the rifle off for a muzzle brake that looks alot like the A2 style Flash suppressors. Wilson makes one, but Kurt Wala (of Kurt's Kustom in the Industry Forums) makes the best looking one (the KKF) IMHO.  You can get the KKF from Kurt or Gunsmoke Enterprises (www.ar15.tv). I recommend the 4 slot version).
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You have ZERO-NADA-ZIP options for a muzzle device that reduces flash.  Doesn't matter how its attached.

You do have multiple options on muzzle brakes.  From Bushmaster you have the AK style (works the best but looks bad), and the Y-Comp style (lots of side blast, but looks better).

However if you get a bare muzzle you can send the rifle off for a muzzle brake that looks alot like the A2 style Flash suppressors. Wilson makes one, but Kurt Wala (of Kurt's Kustom in the Industry Forums) makes the best looking one (the KKF) IMHO.  You can get the KKF from Kurt or Gunsmoke Enterprises (www.ar15.tv). I recommend the 4 slot version).

Do any of the "replica" flash supressors change the basketball-size muzzle flash by default?  Do any of the brakes?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, I have never seen a flash from my Colt MT6601C when firing it, or watching my friends fire it.  I don't shoot at night, but have toward dusk.  My guess is that the Colt compensator is doing a job on the flash because I've seen bare 20inchers shoot flames.  The only ammo I use is PMC and Q3131A.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#4]
CT, huh?  I live in the People's Republic of NY.  Can I put a Colt Compensator on a Bushmaster?

Or is that a stupid questions?

(BTW, I owned some Pre-ban Colts in my high-school days.  Can't remember the exact configs, though.  Sold before college (1989) Boy, was I dumb.)
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Wilson Combat has some very effective muzzle brakes.
I have them on both my Dissipator and my Carbine.

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top