Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2002 8:29:14 PM EDT
Anyone have one of these?  Gun Tests seems to love it.  Pre-64 Winchester action, chrome bore but highly accurate nonetheless, low maintenance.  I am interested but seeking more impressions from someone who actually has one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
So far, highly favorable. MSRP of $995 to civilian sales. I have not seen one yet. But I want to get one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Spent some trigger time behind one. Definitely well made and a very capable rifle.  The cold-forged barrel is very well made.  The runout isn't like the Rem700 PSS.   The trigger is adjustable but the manufacturer (Lawyer's) don't recommend it.  I shot some 168gr HPBT Fed GMM-1 and some 175gr HPBT BlackHills (non-moly).  The rifle I used, seemed to like the Black hills better.  

It's not better nor worse than a PSS, just an alternative to the PSS and Savage Tactical.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Have one and love it.
Adjusted trigger to 3#.
Wish it was available in 300wm, but is not and supposedly will not. So, bought PSS300wm too.
Bought my FN from Tony @ Town Police Supply...$700 more or less plus shipping.
Elmer has/had them too.
Mags are hard to come by and pricey $35 to $40.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Bought my FN from Tony @ Town Police Supply...$700 more or less plus shipping.
Elmer has/had them too.

Say what, Repete?  I am all over one for that price, could you provide some contact info?

I looked on Fulton Armory's web site, who apparently is the "exclusive" distributor, they want $1K, and they're saying there aren't any presently available and the current model is being replaced by a more expensive version.

$700 or ballpark is smokin' deal.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Chairborne,
Went back thru my records:
Jan 27, 2001, cost $687 delivered to my local dealer.
Town Police Supply
Tony Lawson
P.O. Box 417
Collinsville, VA 24078
800 752 5580 8:30 to 5:30pm ET
email was [email protected]
For some reason I think the email has changed, but I can't recall to what.
Bought a PSS DM 300wm from Tony 3 months later for $824. Better deals on them since, tho.
What is different on the new FN other than shorter bbl available?
Repete
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Repete, thanks for the info.

If you check the Fulton Armory web page, they indicate they are not selling any more of the current version and they are busy filling back orders, there are fears that the rifle may go to LEO-only distribution, and there is a new version coming out around March, presently on display at SHOT.  And the new version will maintain the Model 70 action but be MUCH more expensive.  Exactly what the differences are between the old and new rifle I am not sure.

If I can get one for below $700 as you did, count me in.  Remingtons seem to be sorta hit and miss, literally in that some drive tacks and some are 2 MOA.  I am very happy with my old 700, a standard ADL 30-06, but I understand quality on new 700s, and on the PSS and other heavy barrel versions in particular, may be somewhat iffy.

How do you like your PSS?

Anyway, I am going to check with this guy, thans again.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm very pleased with my PSS. I've set it up w/ Leupold MK4M1x16 mildot, Burris Signature(I like the adjustable inserts) rings, Harris S pod and Eagle stock pouch
I'm not a match shooter, but it'll ding a 10" swinging plate at 650yds all day long with Federal premium 180gr hunting ammo
Best group was 4" 3rd @ 500yd
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Once again We lefties are screwed out of a great gun by Da Man!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Exactly what the differences are between the old and new rifle I am not sure.

If I can get one for below $700 as you did, count me in.  

CR:

I spoke with the FN rep at the SHOT show and the new production SPR is an all new design, whereas the old SPR was a rebadged Winchester.  That explains the 42.86% price increase.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Exactly what the differences are between the old and new rifle I am not sure.

If I can get one for below $700 as you did, count me in.  

CR:

I spoke with the FN rep at the SHOT show and the new production SPR is an all new design, whereas the old SPR was a rebadged Winchester.  That explains the 42.86% price increase.

Don't know if I would call it just a re-badged Winchester considering the chrome-lined forged heavy (and we are talking heavy!) barrel, adjustable trigger assy,  and the stock is an HS Precision (wide and flat-ish like the PSS stock).  But hey, I don't know, maybe Winchester makes one like that.  Got mine from Tony as well, about $725 delivered IIRC.  Now if I only had time to shoot the darn thing (yes, it is unfired ....

WWoodworth

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#11]
While there might be some differences, they are essentially the same rifle (the old SPR v. the Win M70 Stealth), with the same HS stock.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Dug mine out of the safe today. The bbl is marked "Mfg by United States Repeating Arms Co."
Can anyone say "Winchester"?
So, these must be chromed by FN, as the Stealth bbls are not chromed, right?
A buddy has a Stealth, and they are close, but not twins.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't have access to his Stealth at the moment, but the FN is a claw controlled feed, and DM, and ....the Stealth is not?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Repete,

The barrel is actually made for the M240 and is completely different from anything that Winchester uses.  The receiver is 100% Winchester though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So, these must be chromed by FN, as the Stealth bbls are not chromed, right?

Right.

Quoted:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't have access to his Stealth at the moment, but the FN is a claw controlled feed

I can't remember which is which, but one is a controlled feed and the other is not.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
whereas the old SPR was a rebadged Winchester.  That explains the 42.86% price increase.

Don't know if I would call it just a re-badged Winchester considering the chrome-lined forged WWoodworth

It IS a Winchester Model 70 action!

It's a short action with controlled round feed which is unique BUT NOT really any different than my Winchester Model 70 Laredo ,
that has a Model 70 controlled round feed action in .300 WM
with an H.S. Precision stock & a BOSS on it.
 A Winchester Model 70 Stealth or Heavy Barrel Varmint also had these same features on a short action.
  The only significant difference with the "FN" is the chrome lined barrel.  I don't know where those are sourced.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Man, when they crank the price up like that they no longer are in Rem PSS territory, they are getting up to the Steyr SSG, leaving the Remington basically the only "police" rifle at that particular price point, the Savage being a level down.  I thought the FN was supposed to compete with the Remington?

Anyway, I have a call in to Tony.  Chrome lined *and* accurate is too good to miss out on.

Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's some info on the Winchester Stealth...

www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo/catalog/md70/m70_stealth.htm

I've got one of these and it will definitely give Remington a run for it's money.  The stock is H-S Precision, by the way.

Bradd
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#18]
After looking at the link Bradd posted, the Stealth is a Winchester 70 push-feed, not the controlled feed Mauseresque design of the pre-64 Winchester or the new Winchesters which returned to that design.  One of the "bits of lore" I have always heard is that the push-feed design, "three rings of steel," etc. etc. is supposed to be intrinsically more accurate than a Mauser-style action.  But maybe dese times dey are a changin' . . .
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Anyone have one of these?  Gun Tests seems to love it.  Pre-64 Winchester action, chrome bore but highly accurate nonetheless, low maintenance.  I am interested but seeking more impressions from someone who actually has one.

C.B. Ranger,

(Fulton Armory FN Special Police Rifle, .308 Win.)

I too read the review and finally went back for a look.
Model 70 Winchester action, detachable four-shot mag, 1:12 twist chrome lined barrel,synthetic stock (HS Precision Pro Series), they even checkered the bolt handle, etc., out shot the Robar S90, the Autauga Tactical and the Dakota Longbow !!

The reviewers said before testing the Fulton Armory gun they had pegged the Autauga Tactical as "Best Buy" at $3200 !

Maybe this matters to some as this rifle has a 1:12 twist barrel you're going to be pretty much looking at lighter bullet weights such as the 168-grain Federal Gold Match or the Winchester Supreme Competition used in the test - or your own favorites.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top