Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2002 3:48:59 PM EDT
I have a chance to buy an Essential Arms J-15 configured with a colt 20" upper.  Upper has brass deflector and A2? sites, new style.  Fit of upper to lower is snug and overall condition is good.  Lower has new internals and an A1 stock, which I prefer having short arms.  It looks like the owner has painted it black with something, but It looks like just paint.  I think I could remove to original finish with a little solvent.  What do you guys think something like this is worth.  I have read all the earlier post on the site and am confident I can verify its build prior to 9/13/94.  What if anything else should I look out for.  The guy is asking $700 bone.

Thanks,
Kentlik
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Essential Arms went out of business before the ban took affect.  I believe they were purchased by DPMS.  All their receivers were cast.  This may not be all that big a deal.  They never made complete rifles.  The one I had  was ok and functioned fine.  I bought the receiver for $75 at a gun show and was my first home built.  I sold it for $450, jeez 15 years ago?

Probably ain't too bad a deal for $700 being's it's a pre-b and all.  Check the fire control pins to see if there is any play.  Also pull the rear pin and see if there is an inordinate amount of side to side slop in the front hinge.  Last but not least ask if you can put a 30 round magazine trough it.  Rapid fire half of it.

As far as the finish that might be the original finish.  It's been along time and I have had a beer or two since then but I think I remember mine being that way.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a flat top m4gery bushie  on an essential arms J15 lower receiver.  Its a nice lower, never had any function problems with it.  I have noticed that there is some play in the fire control pin hole, is this a problem with these lowers?  I thought it coincidental that you asked that, it appears the fire control pin hole is a bit oversized on my lower.  I use the anti-walk pins in the lower just for good measure.  I think that $700 is a good deal for a preban setup.  Charlie
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I am in the middle of a deal to purchase my second EA Lower.  Got it from a gun shop in LA.  From what the owner there said, while EA did only lowers for Wholesale/Mailorder, the company did sell complete guns made up on their lowers at shows in LA.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Essential Arms went out of business before the ban took affect.  I believe they were purchased by DPMS.  All their receivers were cast.  This may not be all that big a deal.  They never made complete rifles.  The one I had  was ok and functioned fine.  I bought the receiver for $75 at a gun show and was my first home built.  I sold it for $450, jeez 15 years ago?

Probably ain't too bad a deal for $700 being's it's a pre-b and all.  Check the fire control pins to see if there is any play.  Also pull the rear pin and see if there is an inordinate amount of side to side slop in the front hinge.  Last but not least ask if you can put a 30 round magazine trough it.  Rapid fire half of it.

As far as the finish that might be the original finish.  It's been along time and I have had a beer or two since then but I think I remember mine being that way.  

I checked the pins it is suprisingly tight.  One thing though, the curvature of the lower in the rear is sharper than that of the upper.  There is a gap at mid point of the arc and it just doesn't seat totally.  Maybe 30,000ths out at the mid point. I think that this not wear but poor fit?

Kentlik

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Charlie57;

Pin hole wear is the death knell of any AR-15.  It could be manufacture's tolerances, or show wear from use or changing triggers too much, but all receivers will be rendered useless when these go bad (get too big).  I don't know that it is particular to just Essential Arms or cast receivers.  I thought I read that there are parts and plans to drill out the holes and trigger and hammer parts that allow the accommodation of the larger Colt pins.  In any event I think that DPMS will "exchange" your worn out pre-b lower for a "new" one,....for a nominal (large) fee, but only by a special arrangement (read large fee again).

lucasf;

EA receivers are Eagle Arms, The predecessor of (the new) ArmaLite.  That would be a forged lower and generally commands a little higher price.  My personal preference is for early Colts with Eagle/ArmaLite a close 2nd.

Kentlik;

Do the test fire and if it works get it.  Don't worry too much about the day light between upper and lower if every thing else is snug.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Pinhole wear is not a funeral.
Easy to fix with a TIG,drill press and reamers.
EA is usually thought to be Essential Arms around here.
Eagle is Eagle.
There is quite a bit of misunderstanding on this and Miss Manners and Dear Abby have not made the final say on this.
cpermd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top