Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2002 10:30:49 AM EDT
Looking for a pre-ban,saw one with a Essential Arms receiver,anybody know anything about them?
Also prices are all over the place for pre-bans,what's your picks for the money?
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#1]
"Essential Arms
All are Pre-Ban as they went out of business in 1993. (DPMS bought them prior to the Ban)  Lower receiver serial numbers begin with EA.  Some or all lowers are cast.  Light gray coloring.  It is rumored that Ruger investment casted the lowers for Essential Arms."

When looking for a preban, the best out there is probably getting a Bushmaster, Oly, PWA, or EA....  but you really need to think about getting documented proof that the lower sold as a complete rifle before the ban, or that it was in assault weapon configuration at some time before the ban.

Colt's are my last choice for a preban rifle if you want to play around with different configuratons, because of their bastardizations, however, with a Colt, at least you know it was a true preban rifle, since they only sold complete rifles.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Good info on "Essential Arms" that I didn't know.
Thankfully I sold my only EA a few months ago.

Thanks Troy .
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
SXSMAN,
I know you'll get plenty of good, typical AR advice but I'm going to step-out of the box for a moment.

First please remember that "AR" as in AR-15 stands for "ArmaLite."  (Still chaps Colts' to this day but facts are facts.)

You might take a look at a pre-ban ArmaLite AR-180.  There's three different manufacturers of the '180 but just look for a "Sterling" shooter - probably about a 90% + gun.  You can find one with a little patience for about $700. - $800.  Get about four mags - cost will probably be about $40. - $50 per mag for those that don't come with the rifle.
Also you can use converted or you can readily convert AR-15/M16 mags.

Try and get one of the original scopes - probably about $300 - $350.  This rifle was really designed to be shot with the scope - first sortof shooting 'system' I know of.  (Even I can mount and dismount the scope in about three seconds.)

Now the fun - ArmaLite is producing the post-ban version of the '180, the AR-180B.  Later this year ArmaLite will start delivering a family of uppers, (flat-top=yes) stainless barrels and they will all work on your pre-ban AR-180 !

Initial dollars for rifle, (4) mags and a scope is roughly $1100.
Then when you want a flat-top upper later simply add one.

With the original pre-ban you get flash-suppressor, bayonet lug, pistol grip, high-cap mags and folding stock.  (There's just something constantly neat about taking that short sucker out of my bag, snapping open the stock......)

Lastly, if shooting a good 55gr bullet and just happen to be next door to your AR-15 shootin Buddy you won't be embarrased.

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
This is some really good info.I'll ask the guy with the EA receiver if he has documentation of it being a AW before the ban.I do like the 180,saw one for sale here a few weeks back.Nice but not THAT nice for bucks.
Talked to a guy last weekend at the Hillard Ohio gun show that had just bought one off the net for 800,which sounded pretty good to me.I like my Colt Elite real well,just would like a preban while I can still almost afford one! I'm open to all your ideas.
(Ever notice that you get over 100 views,but only 4 replies?I got some good replies.....now let's hear from you slackers!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top