Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2002 11:26:03 AM EDT
I zero'd my AR and since I have a flat-top, the rear site assembly sits higher than normal. The rear site is cranked as low as possible, and to get the shot group in the black, I had to raise my front site post wayyyyy up (lowering the shot group). I don't know how much more I've got till it unscrews right out, but the fact that it sits wayyy over flush concerns me. Can I get a front site with a higher post ???  
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Now there's a problem.  More particulars on the rifle make and sight make and style might be of help.

shooter
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much a standard AR flat-top, from J&T. Stock iron fronts, but like I said, its a flat-top, so the detachable carry handle/rear site assembly sits just a tad higher than normal (1/4" if you do a side-by-side comparison). This means I have to crank the front post higher than normal to get my shot group down into the black from the 50.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#3]
At what distance did you zero your AR?  Was it 50 yards?

More importantly your rear sight should not be that high.  It sounds like your flattop receiver is out of spec or the rear sight is.

The only other problem I could think of is you put on one of those Colt M4 barrels with the shorter than normal sight tower.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen this problem before using Colt barrels with non-colt uppers and carry handles.

Now if your flat top upper is a Colt then it probably a non-colt carry handle.

If it is all Colt or all Bushy, then you are doing something wrong.

-elliott
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried recalibrating your rear sight to allow the front sight post to be lowered? JarheadGunner.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I think Elliot hit the nail on the head. One of 'em has to be changed. Either the carry handle or the front sight base is not matching the other. Could just consider a back up rear sight like the adjustable Knight's 600 meter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#7]
From JT Distributing...
Standard flattop upper, A2 carry handle/sites,  forged front sight base, A-2 sight post, --FN® contract upper, A-2 grip, carrier assembly, buttstock assembly and charging handle. --Colt® fire control.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
1R4, I know you think you are helping but you are not telling us WHO made the "Standard upper" and "no name" carry handle.

If it all came from J&T I would send it all back and tell them to send you something that works. If you have mixed and matched and want our help, we will need to know WHO made WHAT.

This is not a flame, simply a second attempt to extract more information from you.

-elliott

If you stick with us, we can figure it out

Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top