Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2002 8:50:57 PM EDT
My local FFL builds custom rifles. He uses Remington actions but now he is working on manufacturing his own. The reason he is now making his own is because Remington is going to stop producing threaded receivers. In an attempt to stop custom builders from using their actions, Remington is going to start pressing and pinning all of their barrells. Now ALL of their rifles will be like the awesome 710 line. You can forget about rebarrelling a Remington now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Verify, please.

Get 'em while they're hot, folks!
Guess I'd better get my last two Remington bolt-actions.  I'll need a Model 7 in 7mmRemShortMag and a 700SS in .375 RUM.  Uh-oh!  I forgot about the 700 Classic in 6.5x55 Swede!
Oh, God, this isn't a NIGHTMARE!  This is REAL!!
Damn.  I told my wife I was only getting "one more rifle..."
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure? Remington would be alienating the entire high-end custom market. A pretty piss poor move as far as selling more rifles goes.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Remington is going to start pressing and pinning all of their barrells. Now ALL of their rifles

Pressed and pinned?
kiss any sort of above avrage accuracy goodbye.

on the other hand though its not exactly brain surgery to tap a reciever
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My local FFL builds custom rifles. He uses Remington actions but now he is working on manufacturing his own. The reason he is now making his own is because Remington is going to stop producing threaded receivers. In an attempt to stop custom builders from using their actions, Remington is going to start pressing and pinning all of their barrells. Now ALL of their rifles will be like the awesome 710 line. You can forget about rebarrelling a Remington now.

Not to doubt you, but where's the proof? Has Remington issued a press release, statement on their web site or sent a letter to your FFL saying this? I'll believe it when I see positive proof. What Prairie-Ranger is said is right on the money.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Are you sure? Remington would be alienating the entire high-end custom market. A pretty piss poor move as far as selling more rifles goes.

Not to mention the numerous Agency Armorers; Grunts who need to believe in their rifle; the Police Sharpshooters; etc.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I talked to my FFL today and he verified that a representative of Remington told him about the new assembly technique.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I talked to my FFL today and he verified that a representative of Remington told him about the new assembly technique.

WAIT!  This is the same guy that is starting to manufacture his own receiver?  Hmmmm, sounds like someone here is a sucker.  I'd take this info with a grain of salt.  I just talked to a NYC armoror and he said that your guy is very misinformed.  

Keep in mind your guy would be the last one to know this kind of info.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#8]
He is working on his own receiver now because of what Remington told him.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you trust this guy?  I don't mean to sound abrasive, but I'm always thinking alterior motive.  He can tell you one reason why he's building his own, but maybe just to pump some money out of a "sucker."  (And I'm not calling you a sucker! I bet you're a very nice guy!)

The thing is, he would not have this info before people who have contracts with Rem, like the NYPD.  Which is why I called my buddy.  I also cannot imagine that Remington would take their line of rifles and degrade them into sub savage pieces o shiot.  I can imagine them bringing another line of pinned (or whatever) type guns forward, but maybe we're just talking about another introduction, rather than the scrapping of their whole product line.  

Sorry, (not really sorry), but based one what I found out, Rem does not have plans to throw away all threaded receivers in favor of the inferior 710.  Its just ain't true!
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]
OK- I'll call your bluff on this one. I work for one of the largest Remington Distributors in the US. I just called our rep group. He said pinned bbls on a model 700 will never happen, nor have they even discussed it. They only pin bbls on the model 710. It is made in a differant facility from the model 700's. Cool your jets.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]
OH MY FRIGGIN LORDY

A FFL lying about something so that he could sell more of his stock.  THAT'S A FIRST!
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
OH MY FRIGGIN LORDY

A FFL lying about something so that he could sell more of his stock.  THAT'S A FIRST!

HEAVEN FORBID!  I said a prayer to the 700 gods, and it looks like my prayers were answered!  Thankyou Cat, I knew my sources weren't bad.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe what he says because he knows I'll never buy one of his customs (too expensive), so I don't see why he would have any reason to lie to me.  

A FFL lying about something so that he could sell more of his stock. THAT'S A FIRST!

I wouldn't put it past Remington reps to lie to sell more of their stock either.

I don't know either way. I was just passing along what I had heard. I'm a Winchester man anyway.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#14]
OOOOOHHHHH!  A Winchester man?  I was wrong, you are a sucker!
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#15]
JK!
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I heard a rumor that Winchester used to make PUSH FEED rifles because it cost too much to produce high quality Controlled Round Feed actions...for about 30 YEARS!!!
Now they make BOTH!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top