Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2002 4:56:38 PM EDT
Bought a NIB Remington 870 Police Magnum with 18” barrel recently. Inside the box was a flier with drawings and a part list for magazine extensions. 2 or 4 round extensions in parkarized, blue or stainless for the Marine 870 that comes with the extension already installed on it.
When I couldn't find the price for the blue or parkarized 2 round extension on their web sight I called and asked for the price. What they told me was an outrage. They said they cannot and will not let me order a magazine extension for the new gun I just purchased. When I asked why they put the flyer in the box they told me it is for LEO only. I asked about the marine extension kit and the girl on the phone snapped back at me and claimed the gun already has one factory installed on it and if you want a replacement you must send the whole gun in and they will only replaced the damaged one.
So I guess you can buy their 870 Police Magnum, look at the options they send with it, have no federal, state or local law prohibiting you from buying such accessories, know there is no regulations on the items they are offering, and they will spit in your face like a third rate citizen when you try to purchase it. Nice trick they played on me, but never again will I buy a Remington anything.
Also Brownells sells the factory Remington 2 round parkerized extension, however it is restricted to only LEO.
I could only find it if I sign on their web sight with my FFL account. part #767-000-527 $90.40 my price.

I will follow this up with a letter to Remington. Anyone else that feels compelled  to do so, don't hesitate.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, that sucks.  Why would they sell a gun with a flyer for leo only options at a local sporting goods store?  Seems like it would save them the hassle of people calling them and asking for the options.

Keving67
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, know what you mean. Stopped at the Krispy Kreme this morning and noticed all the large, dozen-sized boxed were labeled "LEO ONLY".
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Remington does have that streak of quisling to them.  "Hey, we didn't make that for *you,* Mr. Citizen.  It's just for cops."  See their so-called police Rem 700.

But if you like your shotgun in spite of being trampled upon by its manufacturer you can get extension mags by Choate, and sometimes Remington, at a good gun show.  Just make sure the factory didn't vandalize the mag tube by putting "dimples" in it like they do on the Rem 870 Express.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Not cool.
Probably some 'liability' crap going on.

Get a ScatterGunTechnologies extension kit and be done with it.
After the nasty letter to Remington, that is.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Just make sure the factory didn't vandalize the mag tube by putting "dimples" in it like they do on the Rem 870 Express.

Chairborne_Ranger - Please expand on this subject. I was considering an 870 Express magnum to trick out with a mag extension, a Knoxx folder stock, side mounted shell holder, etc. On the Express has the ability to add a mag extension been disabled from the factory?
Finnbear out
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Finnbear, on most 870s you simply unscrew the mag cap and screw on the extended mag, maybe add a support clamp and you are done.  Some newer 870s (such as the Express) have been monkeyed with at the factory to prevent the "mere civilian" from adding the extended mag tube.  This is done by putting dimples in the magazine already on the shotgun where the extended mag tube is supposed to screw on, so it *won't* screw on.  If you're handy with things you can fix your shotgun and remove the dimples so this won't be a problem.  I haven't done this, I've just read about it other places.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]
OK I just went and looked at my Express.  It's not that the extended mag won't screw on, but the dimples prevent shells from going further in the mag tube than the stock mag that comes on the gun.  There are two dimples, one at 12 o'clock and one at 6 o'clock.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#8]
These dimples are easily remedied with a drill or the much feared Dremel tool. after which the factory or any after-market mag extension can easily be installed.

Edited because I got fat fingers that tend to hit more than one key at a time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
These dimples are easily remedied with a drill or the much feared Dremel tool. after which the factory or any after-market mag extension can easily be installed.

Exactly.  Dremel.
It also MAY void the factory warranty.
I didn't care.  It was Y2K!  And, this is an 870 SUPERmag! (only when the 3.5"chamber/ 26"bbl. is attached)

Turns out the left side tab that lets the next shell out of the magtube hangs up...so, I can't really send it back to Remington for warranty work.
Actually, it may be an easy fix.  I don't know yet.  It does prevent me from shooting uninterrupted when I have to stick my finger in the ejection port to feed the gun, though.
I hate it when that happens.
One of the guys on the shotgun range is supposed to know how to work it out, so, I'm not down on the Remington 870; I'm just looking forward to a very sore shoulder some fine afternoon, when the gun is not configured to Y2K status:
:
I think I put on a TacStar or SideSaddle 2-shot extension. It looked good, and I haven't fired it in this condition yet.  Good thing, 'cuz it would've failed to feed...
I have a nice box of parts to play with and a lot of different combinations to make out of the SuperMag.  I ain't givin' up on it.
Good Luck with yours, and TEST FIRE IT FIRST!!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#10]
While we're beating up on Remington, I've got a good one for you. Last summer I purchased an 11-87 Super Mag, because I thought it could stand up to the Super Black Eagle. Well it didn't. It jammed with every light load I put through it. I called customer service and was told to shoot some heavy loads through it to loosen it up. I did and all that happened was the front sight came loose. I called them back and was told to take it to the servcie center which is an hour away. They could not fix it there so I was told to ship it back to Remington. $ weeks later they sent it back with a new gas ring system that I have to change around if I want to shot light loads, and just staked in the old front sight. Know I have a nice shiny dimple in front of my sight. I called them again and they really did not seem to care, but said I could send the gun back if I wanted, and they would check it over agian. Never again.

Bondster
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#11]
BUSMASTER.. what stock is that on your 742? with an extended mag..that would be a cool defensive hinter type weapon
 john in houston
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#12]
hey Flashbang....

I have the extensions..and they are NOT LEO!

Magazine Extensions

MAG EXTENSION REMINGTON 7-SHOT  $35  
MAG EXTENSION REMINGTON 8-SHOT  $35  
MAG EXTENSION WINCHESTER 7-SHOT  $35  
MAG EXTENSION REMINGTON 870 10-SHOT  $38  
MAG EXTENSION REM 1100/1187 10-SHOT  $38
MAG EXTENSION WINCHESTER 10-SHOT  $38  
MAG EXTENSION REM 7-SHOT PARKERIZED  $35
MAG EXTENSION REM 8-SHOT PARKERIZED  $35

These are not the cheap plastic ones...all metal here!

Send me an email if you (or anyone) is interested.

Thanks
medcop
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
BUSMASTER.. what stock is that on your 742? with an extended mag..that would be a cool defensive hinter type weapon
 john in houston

It's a 7400 in .30-06.  Takes 10-rd magazines (they don't hold the bolt open on the last shot, though).
The buttstock is the one I bought for the 870...I just filed down the shoulder that goes into the back of the action, a very little bit to fit tightly, and cinched it down.
As for a little heavy-hitter:  That is exactly what I had in mind for this configuration.
:

Fun, huh?  It's pretty accurate with 220-gr. Remington SP's, too:  My buddy shot this group at 100-yds., POA was center of target...
:

Somebody has to stick up for Remington around here!
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#14]
For those wothout the dremel a 3/16 drill bit and about 5 minutes will take care of the dimples. About 5 more minutes with a file on th e inside and you are done. I've done a couple of 1187's and it works fine.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah the dimple problem is not insurmountable.  It's the principle that Rem would do that to begin with.  I guess *now* Chuck, Sarah and Dianne just think they are a great company and *shouldn't* be run out of business like the rest of those evil gun companies.  Right?  Nothin' like a little ass kissing to the antis y'know . . .
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#16]
In 1994(I think) I called Remington from the sporting goods counter of the Wally Mart I worked in. I asked them to send me a 700PSS. The guy said there was no such thing. I told him my friend had brought on to me, I was holding it in my hand, it's listed in the Law Enforcement products catalog, and I wanted to order one. It was explained to me that "if such a gun existed, it would not be available to the general public." I never did spend any more $$$ on them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Mossberg 590 9 shot. hehehehe
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Just so you guys'll know.  The LEO/Police thing has been a Remington policy off and on for about 20 years, it didn't start last week.  They really tightened the screws in the last 5 or 6 years.  If it was up to Remington, you wouldn't have that "Police Magnum" to start with.  But they make good guns and you can get better accessories, IMHO, from aftermarket companies anyway.  If you want the factory "police" stuff, you'll have to get a dealer that will sell it to you or get your friendly cop buddy to order it for you.  Either way,  it's not illegal, so no biggie.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just so you guys'll know.  The LEO/Police thing has been a Remington policy off and on for about 20 years, it didn't start last week.  They really tightened the screws in the last 5 or 6 years.  If it was up to Remington, you wouldn't have that "Police Magnum" to start with.  But they make good guns and you can get better accessories, IMHO, from aftermarket companies anyway.  If you want the factory "police" stuff, you'll have to get a dealer that will sell it to you or get your friendly cop buddy to order it for you.  Either way,  it's not illegal, so no biggie.

Now why did you go and interject reason into a feeding frenzy of anti-Remington BS. Jeez, why didn't you just pile on someting about how wonderful your mossberg is, or something.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
hey Flashbang....

I have the extensions..and they are NOT LEO!

Magazine Extensions

MAG EXTENSION REMINGTON 7-SHOT  $35  
MAG EXTENSION REMINGTON 8-SHOT  $35  
MAG EXTENSION WINCHESTER 7-SHOT  $35  
MAG EXTENSION REMINGTON 870 10-SHOT  $38  
MAG EXTENSION REM 1100/1187 10-SHOT  $38
MAG EXTENSION WINCHESTER 10-SHOT  $38  
MAG EXTENSION REM 7-SHOT PARKERIZED  $35
MAG EXTENSION REM 8-SHOT PARKERIZED  $35

These are not the cheap plastic ones...all metal here!

Send me an email if you (or anyone) is interested.

Thanks
medcop

Medcop, I am looking for the Remington factory 7 shot Parked extension.
What make do you have?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey Remington,

I bought one of your 11-87Ps.  I have it right here in my office.  I simply went down and ordered it at my local dealer.  Sooo....

Nany, Nany phooo phooo. hem

Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#22]
The extensions are made by Tac Star..they are really good quality.  I had one on my last 870 before I traded it away.

medcop
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Subj:  magazine extension 767-000-527
Date:  2/5/02 8:16:10 PM Eastern Standard Time
To:  [email protected]

Dear Brownells,
I have a FFL account with you. You sell the factory Remington 870 shotgun two round parkerized magazine extension, [# 767-000-527] however it is restricted to only LEO. I have no federal, state or local law prohibiting me from buying such accessories, also there is no regulations restricting this item from sale to non-LEO persons. Is there a legitimate reason I cannot purchase this item from you?

Thank You

RESPONSE

Subj:  RE: magazine extension 767-000-527
Date:  2/6/02 9:36:48 AM Eastern Standard Time
To:    YADRU

Dear Sir,

Remington has placed certain restrictions upon certain parts. In order for us to be able to offer their parts we must comply with these restrictions. If you have any further questions about this you will need to contact Remington directly.

Sincerely,
BROWNELLS, INC.
Sherry Tucker
Purchasing Dept.

Brownells, Inc.
200 South Front Street
Montezuma, IA 50171

telephone: 641-623-5401
fax:       641-623-3896
www.brownells.com

Off to the manufacture they send me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Flashbang,

Send me an email so we can talk.  I may be able to help you get a factory Remington mag extension...heck, I know I can help get you one from Brownells.

medcop
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I think this whole policy of Remington not selling "police" stuff to civilians is a worthwhile CYA move.

As long as Remington sells this stuff to dealers, who turn around and sell it to civilians, Remington can't be held responsible if some nutcase climbs a bell tower with his 700P.  

The middleman is insulation in this case.  I don't think it's a case of "we don't think YOU should have it," so much as it's a case of, "WE don't want to be the ones to sell it to you."

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#26]
You guys might try Hoplite in SGN. They sell factory extensions but I don't know if they are LEO only or not.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Found a source that will sell NIB Remington factory magazine extension kits. Price is $69.00. I will call them when I get a chance to see if they will sell it to non-LEO. The add says pre-ban so I'm guessing they will sell it to anyone.
It's in SG news, 02/18/02 issue pg.88. They are called Alpha Trading Company.

Thanks for the offer medcop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top