Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2002 6:02:13 PM EDT
See, you guys (especially you Mini bashers) don't know what you are talking about, because when I raided the magazine rack this evening I picked up SWAT, a wonderful rag with information that I am sure is as true and reliable as the tablets Moses brought down from the mountain.

And therein was the perennial battle between the AR and the Mini.

And our shooters were getting between six and eight-inch groups out of *either* of them, so they are *equally* accurate.  What marksmen our fine reviewers are too!  Even though my dog shoots better groups than that!

And those fabled Mini aftermarket magazine problems?  Fables, of course!  *One* USA mag didn't work, the rest of the aftermarket mags, including another USA worked great!

Wow.  What ya learn when ya do a little reading.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of AR shoots 6-8 inch groups?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#2]
When I read your title, I thought "Oh, God, not again".
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
USA mags suck in any rifle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It was an Oly!  All you Oly guys better sell those boat anchors PDQ!

And no, I didn't buy the magazine.  But I did put it in the rack near the comic books . . .
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They must be comparing the Mini's 100yd accuracy to a 11.5" AR's 1000yd accuracy.  That's all I can figure.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Sing it, brother!

I bought my Carbon-15 based on a review in 'Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement' that touted this 3.9 lb. POS as the best thing ever to happen to the AR.  I shoulda known when there was a full-page ad from Professional Ordnance in the same issue... Freaking sellouts!

I'll never read that rag again.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The kind with a real dumbass behind the trigger LOL.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe the ones shooting the AR's had on blindfolds?

Or maybe it was an AK15, some kind of new hi-tech rifle SWAT will be promoting.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Well damn, my AK's accuracy will run rings around you AR and Mini guys then.  LOL.  6-8 inch groups?

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#11]
shhesh...my 10-22 will do that....any ar15 that won't do under 2" is crap!  most will do 1 1/2 ".the ar15 design is just intrinsically accurate.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:26:11 PM EDT
[#12]
RULE #1......DO NOT believe what any of the so-called "expert" gun writers say about accuracy, because from comparing my results with theirs, I have come to the conclusion that Helen Keller could out-shoot almost all of them. Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#13]
6"-8"  WOW that's great!
I didn't know Mossberg made AR's.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#14]
The author of that article didn't know shit about the AR.  First of all you CAN check for a chambered round in the dark; he just didn't know how.  He also didn't know that the bolt itself had a finger depression in it which was the first form of a forward assist.  Ruger suggested retail price is $725.00; about the price of a Bushy.  Lastly, I find it fascinating how someone can take an 11.5 inch barrel which had "thousand of rounds" through it (read - shot out old full auto barrel) and even begin to attempt to compare it to a 16 inch brand new barrel.  That dude was dumb as a stone.  The AR is such a vastly superior firearm then the Mini-shit-teen that Thunder Ranch will not even permit anyone to take a course there with it; they say "you'll hate your Mini-14 by the end of the week".  Look at TR, Gunsite, ect..  All the great training centers; you will NEVER, EVER see anyone there using a Mini.  NEVER.  Factory specs for the Mini-14 is 3 to 6 inch groups at 100 yards.  The Mini's barrel is a $15.00 barrel produced by Ruger. It's a high-volume, low quality mass production rifle for Ruger.  My pre-ban AR shoots 15/16" groups at 100 yrds.  

RUGER SHOULD BE ASHAMED AND EMBARESSED TO PRODUCE SUCH A POOR QUALITY FIREARM FOR THE  AMERICAN PUBLIC.

Ruger should be furthr ashamed at their feeble attempt to change the Mini's reputation by buying off some poor, stupid, prostitute-like alleged gun  writer.  They should concentrate on  improving that POS.  

The greatest use that the Mini will ever achieve, is as a pry bar.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#15]
The Mini-14 out shots the AR-15?
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Alright you guys gettin down on C.B. Ranger - I have a Mini-14 that shoots sub-MOA.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#17]
i have both a mini and an ar,i like them both,never got into measuring group size but i hit what i aim at with both rifles.
i have also noticed what ever firearm the mags are testing is the major ad placer in that issue.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Since we're talkin' about mini's...

I was at the range about 3 weeks ago and was watching these two guys shoot while waiting for a cease fire.  One was seated at the table shooting his stainless/synthetic mini at various targets and garbage between 25 and 50 yds.  All I saw was exploding dirt everywhere EXCEPT behind the target.

AND, that damn thing was throwing brass 3 POSITIONS DOWN THE LINE!  I mean, a good 30 feet over and 10 feet back.  One actually hit the side of my truck.  (Which prompted the shooters to do the "oh shit!" spin around to see me, standing in a pile of brass, looking back at them none too pleased)

Ok, that's all I have to say about that!  Oh, except that you will never see a mini-14 for sale at $750.  I mostly see them for $450-500.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, to not bash, and to trying to be fair here... the Mini is as accurate as the original light barreled M16A1.  It would be unfair to compare the very thin barrel of the Mini to an HBAR or any of the other heavy barrels on most of the AR type rifles today.  With a heavy barrel, the Mini gains accuracy.  

I do not think you could get any sort of cheaply made AR for $450 retail that would shoot any better or as reliably as a Mini-14.  On the other hand, the standard Mini-14 cannot begin to compete with the current AR's, easily available large cap mags, parts support, etc.

So, this apples and oranges comparison is not really helpful.  I think the Mini-14 does what it does well, and I like the AR15 for the nitch it fills.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#20]
In 1983, while stationed at Quantico, I shot for record on Pre-Qual day with my M16-A1 and shot expert.  So, on Qualification day I brought out my Mini-14 GB model and proceeded to shoot the course with it.  It got cold, wet, and miserable, so I quit after the 300 yard line, but my scores were comparable with what I'd shot the previous day.  Comparing the two weapons, shooting the same ammo, I saw no difference in accuracy.

Biggest real complaint I'd say about the Mini-14 is the amount of cost and pain involved if you wanted to install a better barrel.  For what they go for now, I'd rather spend my money on a real rifle, like an M1 Garand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top