Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2002 2:21:50 PM EDT
Boy it sure is funny there just was a thread on here yesterday about this and i said i was waiting for mine and today I got to the mail box and there it is WAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!It sure has made my day to finally get my license. well everybody have a nice day see ya, I think I am just a little full of myself today. WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!{:D] I think I will wait a few days to tell the wife though, she was not to supportive on the idea of me getting the license, but I think that our family safety is just a little bit more important. have a nice day!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations! Use it wisely!

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
So, now that you can carry, what are you going to carry?  Details please.z

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!  Now, do what I do with mine: every time someone asks for a photo ID I use my CCW!! Kinda funny to see the faces on some of the clerks!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Congrats!  Now, do what I do with mine: every time someone asks for a photo ID I use my CCW!! Kinda funny to see the faces on some of the clerks!!

Thats interesting, in Virginia I don't have a picture on mine, just my physical description, social security number, expiration date.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats on finally being able to legally exercise this right!

I hope to be saying the same thing in about 12 months.  See my thread over in GD: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=91465.

Wish us luck!  Funny thing is, if it weren't for Chuck Chvala and Fred Risser, the PPA would probably sail through without any problems.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats interesting, in Virginia I don't have a picture on mine, just my physical description, social security number, expiration date.

I have shown mine to folks in other states and they think I made it myself. It does look like something that you could make on your computer kind of easily.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations! So do you already own a 1911? Just kidding, I wouldn't want to pressure you into utilizing the most combat proven sidearm in American history.  You're lucky because its winter and its soooo easy to CCW in the winter with your 1911 (Ooops!)I mean the handgun of your choice.  Summer can be a challenge but you can always utilize a smaller version of the handgun of your choice (as I visualize a combat commander sized 1911).  Be safe! -websensei
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Well as far as what weapon am I going to carry it might change but for right know because I am saving money for my first Ar-15 project, I will carry my Nice trusty Beretta 92FS with 15 round mags loaded with my own hand re-loads of 115 grain FMJ, strong side carry for know, am looking into getting a IWB holster, but for know I have a uncle mikes kydex holster that I use for competition shooting.

I have not decided on either going to either this new kind of ammo I saw advertised in Soldier of Fortune called Extreme Shock or just plain hollow point bullets. Supposedly the extreme shock ammo is a good self defense round with low richechet charicteristics,it is supposed to fragment when it hits walls, and it does not leave the razor shard shredds in someone when you shoot them like hollow points do. This new ammo is supposed to be good for reduceing situations of collatoral damage. So any info on this new ammo would be appreciated.

For a future weapon I have not really decided. I really have not found a compact weapon i really like because they are a little smaller. The only one I kinda like is the HK USP sub compact i think it is called, in either 45 acp or 9mm. But for know I will just use my Beretta.
I just know have to get my wife used to the idea. She has already said she doesnt want me carrying when she and the kids are around so I might want to get something smaller sooner or later so I can carry a little less noticable. Over time I am sure she will get used to the idea, because I sure am not giving up my right to carry know especially in todays world. I consider haveing my permit part of my homeland defense against evil, I told my wife that and she almost fell out of her chair laughing I had to say something funny to break the tension. Slowly but surely I am turning my anti-gun wife into a pro-gun wife. Someday maybe she will have her own permit. Wishful thinking anyway!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations PAPA101. I dont mean to rain on your parade, but I would strongly advise against carrying reloads for CCW/personal defense.
Reason being that you are opening yourself up for a liability problem if you shoot someone and the investigating officer or the DA start asking lots of questions about your ammo.
Using reloads could be perceived as factory ammo not being good enough for you to defend your self with so you brewed up your own super bad guy wackers.
Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p goes 1310fps out of my Glock 19 or try the Remington 124 Golden Sabre +p.
IWB is the way to go in my humble opinion as it is the most versatile in regard to cover garments.

FWIW

Lee
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I hear what you are saying there nailbender. It caught me off guard today getting my permit in the mail I was not expecting it to come for another couple of weeks. I am defenitly planning on going to my locol ammo dealer and getting some ammo just for self defese/carry purposes.
I think I might order some of those extreme shock bullets that I had mentioned. The likely hood of me ever needing to fire my weapon is slim to none but I would rather be prepared then not. Definetly IWB holster is in the picture very soon,strong side works well in the fall/winter/early spring around here because it rains so much and concealment is no problem,but in the later spring/summer/early fall the sun does come out for a couple of months and concealment will become an issue.
hey thanks for the info on ammo and liability,definetly dont need to give the wrong impression in any civil or judicial investigations/proceedings.
Link Posted: 2/1/2002 12:22:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Congratulations! Use it wisely!

What he said.  The best weapon that you have is your brain, not your gun!!!  If you must use your gun, by all means feel free to empty the clip!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats, I think it was in my thread that you were talking about getting yours soon.  I've had mine for less than a week and am getting used to having the weapon on my.  I carry a full size HK right now in 45.  That is until I get my 1911 (websensei).  I should have that next week.  The HK is supprisingly comfortable to carry.  I carry it in a universal leather holster just off the rear of my strong hip, have a blade-tech on the way.  Its even comfortable to sit down with.  I do have to wear a coat or sweat shirt to cover it though.  Hopefully the full size 1911 will be easily concealed with blade tech holster under a t-shirt.  Its kinda funny because I decide on what I am going to wear based on the fact that I will be carrying.  Anyway, glad to hear you got it.  Hopefully your wife will warm up to the idea.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#13]
PAPA101-FISH, I know the feeling.  Mine just came last week!  I still don't know what I'm going to carry.  I'm looking at everything from a Sig .380 to a Kimber .45.

Anybody else needed to buy a new damn wardrobe when you got your CCW permit?  All my pants are too damn tight, and I've been putting off getting bigger pants because I keep convincing myself that I'm going to lose weight.  My usual dress is jeans and a tucked-in polo shirt.  Not very CCW friendly is it?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:31:22 AM EDT
[#14]
PAPA101-FISH

Reloads are not a good thing if you ever go to court. Our SWAT team lawyer came up with a good suggestion....find out what the local depts. use and if its a good round use the same. Really puts a crimp in the prosecutors chance to show what horrible man killing ammo you carry. If its good enough for the police its good enough for you. Pisses the prosc. off to no end!!!
Get good holsters....cheap and uncomfortable holsters will lead you to leave your weapon at home on occasion and that will be the time when you need it.
Ammo........ If you want ammo that is low richoechet(sp) use glaser saftey slugs...Blue or gray tip is a great summer round. Nine is kind of on the small side and I think I saw you have a 1911.......45 is a proven preformer and most other rounds try to expand to create a hole that the 45 makes on entry.....
CCW is to be concealed...weather it can be seen in public or not is not ot your advantage.....
I do not want the bad guy to know I am carrying or the clerk who is being robbed to turn to me and say "Hey 101,you gotta gun..shoot this bastard fo me!!!"

Who knows the universal line if you are ever involved in a shooting...before your lawyer gets there???? not a joke.....

Guys ...please tell me you have a lawyer already picked out if you need him....good or bad shoot...you need him. CYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All advice is billed at net worth.....
.000001 cents

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top